Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Mobile Phones is USA

22 Nov 2009 Nicci G said

Default_avatar
Hello

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy a mobile phone in USA or put an Australian mobile phone on global roaming - we will not be using it very much but it would be great to be able to make the odd call...

Can we just buy a USA SIM card and put it in an Australian mobile phone? If so, how much are SIM cards and calls?

Thanks

Nicci
  • 22 Nov 2009 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

i spoke to telstra – who my phone is with and the person said it can be cheaper to buy a prepaid phone while in america, the amount you get charged with global roaming can be quite expensive.
    speak to your phone company and see what their prices are?

• 3 Jan 2010 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

Aaron,
    just a question what did you think of t-mobile? was the service n range good or would you recomend another phone carrier?
    cause i know i’m going to buy a prepaid phone while over in america just not sure which carrier to use?

• 7 Jan 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

t-mobile doesn’t have the best reputation in the NYC area. Verizon has the best nationwide coverage.

• 7 Jan 2010 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

thats the phone company my friend who lives in america said to go for. so verizon it is!!! thanks cdm115!!

• 29 Jan 2010 SthOzLad said

Default_avatar

I had no problems with T-mobile. In areas where T-mobile didnt have coverage it switched to another carriers recption. Or at least thats what i assume happened because instead of saying T-Mobile at the top, where in aust it says optus or telstra, it had another carriers name. I dont think there were many times I was without reception. I even had reception in the grand canyon which i was pleased about.

• 24 Feb 2011 Melanie86 said

Default_avatar

I brought a cheap phone and sim card when I was in the US working at a Summer Camp. I went with T-mobile and it didnt have the best coverage. The second year I took my phone from Australia so I had a phone when I got back into the country and didnt have it on global roaming but I was still able to send texts with it

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion