Community_discussions_small  

Question

shoes on tour?

13 Jan 2011 perthgirl asked

perthgirl
so i know u need a pair of heels for going out, but are thongs/flip flops ok to do most of your day stuff in? or do u need actual 'walking' shoes like sneakers? thanxx Smiler
  • 13 Jan 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

It depends on you and your shoes. Whatever you normally walk in is probably ok, assuming you do a decent amount of walking in them. If you have flip/flop thongs that you wear on heavy walking days and they’re fine, then go with it. You’ll be walking miles in cities many days. I would bring at least 2 pairs of shoes that you can wear everday.

• 13 Jan 2011 LadyRainbow said

LadyRainbow

I brought thongs/flip flops, sneakers and a nice pair for a night out. Most of the time I was in my thongs and they were fine. I do think that if you’re going to take sneakers, make sure they’re light. The ones I brought are pretty chunky, so it was like bricks on my feet lol.

• 13 Jan 2011 NaHdz said

NaHdz

I lived in my thongs! but take two pair, mine broke on one of my trips and I didn’t have a backup lol

• 14 Jan 2011 Anna said

Default_avatar

I took a pair of heels and actually regret taking them. Most the places we went that you would need to wear heels were either really steep hills, cobble stone streets so they got stuck or we walked for ages between each place. Most girls complained about their feet hurting and all of them went home early each night. Believe me on this one… do no take heels. They take up too much room in your bag and most the boys payed out on the girls with heels.
    If I’d do it again just take a nice pair of flats for going out and day, sandals and thongs. Maybe some sand shoes depending where you go.

• 20 Jan 2011 JennyLeighS86 said

JennyLeighS86

I am going to Ireland and Scotland 14 day tour does anyone have shoe advice for that? A pair of heels never occured to me I didnt imagine I would be anywhere that I’d feel out of place w/o them, but I really dont know. How common is this for other ladies? Did you wear heels often or did more ladies wear a nice pair of flats? Do I need tennis shoes or will good walking/hiking sandals suffice? Does anyone know the amount of walking on this tour?

• 10 Feb 2011 Bonnie said

Default_avatar

take two pair of thongs! i lived in mine as well!
    I also took canvas sneakers and wore those a few times when my feet were killing me on long walking tours (Rome)…i attempted heels for the first few nights out but gave up after a while. i also regret taking them such a waste of space…coble stone streets are a BITCH in heels!!! so i bought a pair of dressy sandals in Rome and they did the job on all those nights out.
    and the plus side was that in flats you can stay out drinking longer with no sore feet!!

• 10 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

JennyLeigh,
    I don’t think for England and Scotland you need heels, maybe just a nicer shoe or sandal that you could wear during the day. Even our nicer nights out were not that fancy, there were people that never got dressed up on our tour.
    The only really big walking day on the tour was in Edinburgh. Other then that there were times when you might have to do a decent amount of walking – Liverpool, York – but it wasn’t a long walking day. Keep in mind though that unless you’re going on the height of summer, it’s not terribly warm there.

• 12 Feb 2011 lady_o said

lady_o

started wearing a new pair of tennis shoes a few months early and it still wasn’t enough, KILLED my feet!! ended up buying a pair of flip flops in greece to save my blistered heels. if you take tennis shoes, make sure they’re WELL broken in!! ditto for any shoes you take. took a pair of cute wedges to wear out at night and it really helped with the cobblestone streets.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.