Community_discussions_small  

Question

Euro Magic 5-13 December '09 anyone?

1 Aug 2009 Free_Spirit asked

Free_Spirit
Hey all,

I know I'm being waaay too early, but I'm so excited + I'm goin' alone so I'd like to make some chums before I go. Anybody going please contact me, can't wait to meet you all!

Greetings from South Africa.
  • 5 Sep 2009 mjkelly said

Default_avatar

Hey Free_Spirit,

My Girlfriend and I are going as well, also leaving from SA. When do you fly out? We leave on the evening of the 2nd, arrive on the 3rd and will probably spend those 2 days in London. I also believe there is a meeting on the 4th at the Contiki hideout? And then we will be staying on after the tour and travelling on our own a bit before returning on the 3rd of Jan.

Hopefully we will see this thread fill up a bit more soon…

Anyways, we are really excited and can’t wait!

• 5 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

Hey EU Magic_Explorer!

Fellow South Africans? That’s great!

I leave on the evening of the 3rd, arrive on the 4th (early the morning) and I’ll probably spend my extra day in London as well Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->. As far as I know the meeting is in the Contiki Basement at the Royal National hotel on the 4th. I’ll also be staying a few extra days in the UK after the tour. In which hotel are you guys staying?

I also hope there will be more people on this thread soon… It seems like people are more interested in the tour leaving on the 25th and I can only guess why Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->.

haha, anyway… I’m also verrry excited and it’s gonna be an awesome time! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 5 Sep 2009 mjkelly said

Default_avatar

Well I was planning on staying with family and then making my way to the Royal National early on the 5th, but after trolling this forum it seems the better idea is to spend the night at the Royal National, that way we can attend the pretour meeting and just walk downstairs the morning of the tour. The last thing I want is to wake up incredibly early and have to rush.

Im just hoping that we can head to the hotel really early on the 4th, and then either the hotel or the Contiki basement will store our luggage so we can explore a bit that day. I know the Contiki basement will store some of your luggage when on tour for a nominal fee.

What are you doing in terms of money? Have you applied for your visas yet, and at which embassy will you be applying, it seems the french embassy would be the one? Is this your first tour?

And 3rd degree now over Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 6 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

Haha yeh it’s better to go to the hotel early and store your luggage so you can explore care-free. I think they charge 1 pound per 20kgs (I have read).

In terms of money… I paid for the tour and the ticket and set the visa money aside and now I’m saving up for some spending money for the extra excursions and all the curios Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->.

I’m applying for my visas in Pretoria (British embassy across from Brooklyn Mall) and the French embassy in Rosebank, JHB. Where are you applying?

This is not only my first tour… It’s the first time I’m leaving the country and I’m doing it alone!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

And Free_Spirit now signing off Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 17 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Count me in! Just booked today Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 18 Sep 2009 mjkelly said

Default_avatar

YAY, more people. I see our trip is now a confirmed departure, woo hoo. Where you from Diane?

• 18 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

That’s great Diane! You’re American, right? Can’t wait any longer Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->.

• 18 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Yep from America….it will be cool. Apparently from the looks of the board there are only 3 of us going?!?!?! Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:--> Oh well, at least we will all “know” each other before we arrive ;-)

• 18 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

Haha I think we are the most excited of the whole group and that’s why wer’re meating up so early Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. But I have no doubt that there will be more people for us to meat… Otherwise, we will make it a spectacular time on our own.

• 20 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Oh yea, we totally will!!!! =) When I booked I guess the chic told me I was at the Imperial. I hope someone else is! Where are you? I hope I can find my way! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> I’m getting stoked but nervous at the same time….hopefully we all chat a bit more as it gets closer.

• 24 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

That’s the spirit!!!! I’m staying at the Royal National, it’s the closest to the contiki basement. Are you also going solo? Booking this tour was one of my crazy moments Roll Eyes<!--graemlin::rolleyes:-->. I’m also really stoked… I guess I’ll just have to swallow my nerves and jump when the time comes Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->.

• 24 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Yea, I’m going solo. I went last year with a friend, but we didn’t end up seeing eye to eye on a lot of things, and I ended up on my own for part of the time anyway! So I thought I’d give this a try Razzer<!--graemlin::p--> I just hope everyone is friendly as past tour people have said, and everyone gets along, no one feels isolated, and its a good time….

• 29 Sep 2009 Rio-Ichi said

Rio-Ichi

Nice to find you guys! I’m also joining the tour, sole from Japan. I’m very nervous of communication, but I love to make many friends and memories in this chance. So it would be rally appreciated if you guys kindly help me Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> Hope to have more conversation before we go!!

• 29 Sep 2009 Free_Spirit said

Free_Spirit

Hi Rio-Ichi!! I think if you’ve read what we’ve been discussing so far, you’ll agree that we’re all excited and a bit nervous Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. But there’s nothing like new friends and I am especially excited about meating somebody from the East (Japan). Check Diane’s last post where she said “I just hope everyone is friendly as past tour people have said, and everyone gets along, no one feels isolated, and its a good time….” – Those are true words.

• 29 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Hey Rio-Ichi! Glad you found us! Ya know, even if no one else finds these boards, we have, so we got a leg up on people! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Everyone planning on going to pre-tour meeting? Decided on first day plans yet? My plane is supposed to arrive 630am-ish on 12/4. I’ve got days in London scheduled after, but I think I’m going to go back to London on my own on the Eurostar. I can’t see spending all day to get back to London with the coach if I can get there in 2+ hours another way!

Sorry if I’m a bit early asking these questions – guess its safe to say I’m getting excited! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 29 Sep 2009 mjkelly said

Default_avatar

Welcome Rio-Ichi!

We will be at the pre-tour meeting, and probably having a few drinks there since we are staying at the Royal National.

The Eurostar sounds like a brilliant idea, any idea how easy it is to catch, and how much it will be from France?

• 29 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

It sounds like everyone is at the Royal National – I am at the Imperial Hotel. Boo! I hope its not far.

I’m trying to look into Eurostar now. I know that the prices tend to go up closer to the date of travel. So far, I don’t believe its over 100 USD. Not sure where our Paris hotel is, but gotta catch the Metro to the departing train station and then we’re off!

I’ll post on here what I find out, if you all are interested, but that’s probably what I’m going to do as I leave London 12/15.

Free_Spirit

I’m arriving at exactly the same time as you on the 4th December, Diane. The extra days in London, are those on the London Explorer? I took two extra days on that option.

It seems like I’m a bit misinformed here… What is the Eurostar? If it can get me to London that fast I’m definitely also in for it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->.

• 29 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Eurostar is a fast train that connects the UK to France, Belgium, and I think a couple of other places. Check out www.eurostar.com

No, I’m just doing 2 days on my own in London. My plan right now is see a Sunday matinee show, and Monday go out to Stonehenge, Bath, and Windsor Castle. Tuesday morning catch any sights I missed that first Friday.

Free_Spirit

Thanks Diane!

The Eurostar seems like the better option here.

Those are some pretty interesting sights you’re gonna visit, I’d like to see them too but I’m already stuck with another contiki afterwards.

I’d really like to see the Emerald Isle as well… WOAh, I have got to stop!

I’m extatic about this tour Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->, so please understand if I seem overly excited Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion