Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Los Angeles Accommodation

26 Jan 2008 MICHAEL ASHBY said

Default_avatar
Hello to all,
Just curious to see peoples reccomendations on what part of LA to stay in for a few nights ? There seems to be quite a lot of options !
Regards Michael
  • 27 Jan 2008 HD1712 said

HD1712

Are you doing a tour? If so base yourself at anaheim at least it’s not dodgy or feral and you will already be at the start location of the tour. You can catch buses to anywhere in LA from Disneyland as well.

• 28 Jan 2008 MICHAEL ASHBY said

Default_avatar

No unfortunately,
    There is no tour unfortunately. Just looking for ideas on where to stay & where to not to stay.
    Regards Michael

• 28 Jan 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I stayed at the Orbit Hostel on Melrose Ave – pretty good and central. Bus number 10 right out the front takes you downtown in about 40mins and the Farmers Market is about a 20minute walk away, same as Sunset Blvd. They even have private rooms at about $70 per night, won’t find much cheaper than that in LA!

• 31 Jan 2008 itsmekate said

Default_avatar

Hey Michael,

I moved to LA two years ago and stayed at a tiny hotel called Hollywood Orchid Suites when I first got here. If you’re just looking for a decent place to stay (nothing fancy but definitely not creepy) where you can have your own private room as opposed to sharing at a hostel, it’s a great bargain. The location is also amazing…on a quiet street right behind the Kodak Theater/Hollywood&Highland/Walk of Fame, walking distance or short cab ride to clubs, short bus ride to Beverly Hills and Universal and the beach, etc. Check it out: http://www.orchidsuites.com/

If you have more money to spend, the Renaissance Hotel is on that same block and is really nice. The hotels on Santa Monica Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood are all good too.

Do yourself a favor and do not stay south of Olympic Blvd. or East of Vine St. — while there might be okay hotels, the neighborhoods are sketchier. If you’re looking on an expedia-type site, search under Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills for central locations; look in Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey if you would rather be by the ocean.

• 17 Feb 2008 MICHAEL ASHBY said

Default_avatar

Hello Explorer,
    Thanks for the great LA advice. You touched exactly on what i wanted to know. Thanks for the information on the surrounding areas and whats good and whats not. It was very helpful. Am hoping to stay in West Hollywood.
    Cheers Michael

• 7 Mar 2008 ilikejane said

Default_avatar

Michael,

I’m an LA native. If you want to stay in the OC, try the city of Garden Grove – there are TONS (literally, TONS) of motels all over the city and you’re about 10 min away from Anaheim. If you want to stay in Hollywood, there’s a little hostel on Hollywood Blvd right on the Celebrity walk of fame.

Jane (ilikejane@gmail.com)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.