Community_discussions_small  

Question

Is Contiki for me??

24 Aug 2008 shanyn asked

Default_avatar
Hey everyone!!
I'm just looking for a little advise. I have picked a few tours (namely Big Apple Explorer, North by North East and LA Scene) and I'm a bit worried about the tour not suiting me. I'm desperate to see the sites in these places and I'm not a big drinker/partier. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a couple of drinks but not every night and not enough to be totally smashed. I'm a little worried that everyone on the tour will be getting written off everynight. This might not be the case but I thought I'd ask you guys who have done the tours to get the right info.
Thanks heaps for ur help
PS- how much free time do u get on these tours??
  • 4 Sep 2011 Tamara21 said

Tamara21

Hi, I was wondering the same thing seeing as I am thinking of doing LA to the Bay (Winter) in Dec and I’m not a big drinker either. But from what the other posts have said, there are going to be some people on the tour who are heavy drinkers, but then some aren’t so hopefully there will be people on your tour who arent into that.

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

Not all of us drink heavily or at all for that matter.My drinking days ended a long time ago but can still do a group tour regardless.You can still have a good time none the less

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1279131 said

Default_avatar

on my group, the majority drank every night, but not everyone. some people went to bed early, some people just came out and didnt drink, and some people came out for a bit then went to bed. it’s up to you, you dont have to do anything you dont want to do. you dont have to drink to go out and have fun :) HOWEVER, if you plan on going to sleep early most nights, i would recommend paying extra and getting your own room, just so room mates arent waking you up when they come in. :)

• 5 Sep 2011 Skye said

Default_avatar

This will be my 2nd Contiki tour. I did the Ultimate European when I was in my early 20’s. I’m now in my early 30’s and am doing the Southern Adventure next month. From my experience, the tour is what you make of it. There were nights – generally when I had more than one night at a place – where I would have a few drinks and stay out late, and nights where I didn’t drink and went to bed early. While travelling in Europe, there were some that would basically spend travelling days sleeping and missing a lot of the amazing scenery. As the tour guide said back then – some go for a sight-seeing tour, others for a night-seeing tour
    My advice is to do what you want to do. Don’t miss out on this because you are worried about others – I was worried about the same thing because I am at the older end of the Contiki age scale. I went on my own to Europe and am going on my own again – you will find someone on the tour who is like you – doesn’t mind a drink and actually wants to be feeling well enought each day to see the sights…
    As for free time – I got a lot in Europe. Basically we were dropped off at a certain point/landmark when we had a full day in a place and were told to meet back there at a certain time for the bus to pick us up. Hopefully the same applies for the USA tours.
    Hope this has helped

• 9 Sep 2011 Danielle said

Default_avatar

I didnt realize how much partying there would be, I just got back from a tour in Europe and we stayed up every morning till 3a.m then we had to get up at 6a.m there were some people who didnt party with us…but they were not happy late at night when the drunkards were roaming the halls. My advice is to not do a contiki if you dont want to be involved in the late nights. Thats when a lot of bonding occurs and you may feel left out on the whole trip if only a few of you are not going out at night

• 10 Sep 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I am doing my final one next July and am going to have a good time to New Zealand.I have had my taste of late nights doing cruises on the Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn cruising in the South Pacific with all those activities and late night parties/clubbing so have a fair idea what to expect here too.Even though my drinking days ended a long time ago I still know how to have a good time and can learn to bond with others at night too.Before I go on my final Contiki next year I will start going every week when I get a night off work to a club and bond with women starting soon

• 13 Sep 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I think you’ll be fine. Every tour I’ve been on had a mix of people so no matter what your style is you’ll find people to hang out with. I do suggest going out at least for a little while most nights, particularly early in the tour so you can get to know people. You don’t have to drink, but just go and be social and get to know people.

• 21 Sep 2011 PinaI said

PinaI

I don’t agree with Danielle – about not doing a Contiki just because you don’t drink. I am not a big drinker myself but have done five tours and didn’t feel left out or “uncool” because of it.

I chose to go out when I wanted to and I chose to stay in when I wanted to. I also spent many-a-night with other people on my tour, having a nice dinner and taking a walk around the city; they were some of the best nights I’ve had, in my life. I think, on my entire Grand Southern, I only went out “clubbing” on three nights, didn’t affect me or my group at all.

The only thing I would suggest is that, if you’re not a partier, you are prepared that others will party and so yeah, be noisy going in and out at all hours but hey, that’s there fun and they’re entitled to it. Doesn’t mean you have to follow.

Just my 2c.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion