Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Advice on meals

26 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar
Hi all,
I realise this may sound weird but I was wondering if anyone that's done a contiki through the US or even some locals could shed some light on what the food situation is like over there?
Ive been told to expect to pile on the kilos as the only food I will be able to eat is all junk food as that's all that's available...? Is this true?
I would harldy think so but I am a little concerned about what would be available for meals not included with the tour. Are there deli's/kiosks that make sandwiches or cafe type places for a quick snack? And surely ALL the food isnt unhealthy?
ok weird request I know but Im just curious about what to expect!
Thanks in advance
  • 26 Mar 2007 ryaneco said

Default_avatar

I haven’t been to the states for a while, but i do remember being sick of deep fried foods….I imagine though there are healthy alternatives…Im heading there shortly so i really hope so I’ve worked too hard loosing weight to put it back on, on a holiday

• 26 Mar 2007 ajharris13 said

Default_avatar

Hi TigerKat,
    It’s true that there’s a lot of greasy food and lots of unhealthy people in the US, but there are definitely other options out there! The fast food restaurants have a lot of unhealthy food, but almost every chain of restaurants has tried adding healthy items to their menus…salads, deli sandwhiches, fruit, etc. If you’re visiting the US, I wouldn’t recommend eating at places like McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Burger King anyway! Every part of the country has it’s own specialty, so I would try to experience that as much as possible. If you’re near Chicago, you have to try the deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwhiches, or Chicago-style hot dogs (all unhealthy but very good) Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Any sit-down restaurant that you go to will offer a variety of meals, so you can definetly avoid the junk…but do be prepared for large portions. If you don’t want to take the time to be served at a sit-down restaurant, I think every city has at Subway, Quizno’s or someother “fast food” restaurant that serves deli sandwhiches. You should be okay, as long as you chose wisely!

• 26 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

Hi again
    Thanks for the advice. Problem is not only do I try and eat healthy food, Im also a vegetarian so no red meat or chicken for me! How hard will it be to find meals that cater for that? Are there any cafe style restaurants (that’s something more of an European influence but we have so much of that here in Australia).
    Can I just get a salad somewhere instead?
    Yes I’ve heard that the portion sizes are like double ours… and is it true you put sugar in your bread? Do you have such a thing as wholemeal bread (brown bread)?

• 26 Mar 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Hey TigerKat – I think you will be surprised at the options over there. We chose to eat a lot of subway on our tour (ie lunch stops); it was cheap, quick and healthy. Quiznos is another option (very similar to Subway).

On other lunch stops we bought rolls, ham, peanut butter, salads etc from Walmart and made our own. On other days it was BBQ chicken and salads. I know that doesn’t help, being a vegetarian and all, but there are a fair few options to choose from so I’m sure you will be fine.

For not included optional dinners we kept away from the fast food giants and tried the local restaurant or cafe. Although slightly more expensive at least the quality is better! The selection is quite good, we had nights of Pasta, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican – all pretty good options and ones that don’t make you feel ill afterwards.

If you want something unhealthy (but relatively healthy) – try the burgers at Hard Rock cafe – there’s a Hard Rock in almost every city and the food is pretty good and not as greasy as what it would be at Maccas.

I’m sure you will find something to suit you no matter where you’re off to…

• 27 Mar 2007 Heather83 said

Default_avatar

Hey Kat thanks for asking. I was rather concerned about it myself. I figure that a tub of vegemite will be my saviour most of the time, and I am aiming for sandwiches, soup and sushi most days, and nights something reletivly light. I know in the bus it is hard to stay away from lollies but I will be there right with you, although not vegetarian, I try not too eat much meat.

• 27 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

Well it sure sounds like things arent as bad as I first thought! Dont worry guys – I wont be the calorie counting nazi! Im just normally careful with what I eat and try and stay healthy, but it looks like I wont be alone there, thankfully! The options that PinaI suggested sound pretty good and not too far from how I eat now. Well Heather – the vegemite definitely sounds like the saviour of the day for us! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 27 Mar 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Well Heather – the vegemite definitely sounds like the saviour of the day for us! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

…and it’s great to see the look on non-australian faces when they smear it on bread and then cringe! why is it that only australians love vegemite?

• 27 Mar 2007 Heather83 said

Default_avatar

I think because we do not over do it like Jam and peanut can be spread. Also we love to do things the poms and yanks dont. Sorry guys…but its true.

• 27 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

this is great – thanks for all your help guys! I feel so much better now! And who knows, we might manage to convert the Americans into liking Vegemite! haha (yeh right! I think the colour of it scares them away!) Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 28 Mar 2007 Jediress said

Default_avatar

Didn’t they ban Vegemite from the US i remember hearing something about it months ago but didn’t pay attention as i wont touch it

• 28 Mar 2007 Heather83 said

Default_avatar

Im not too sure on the ban. I think what it was that there is a substance in it that they wont allow through the aiports. I am going to try anyway and if I get it through then woohoo but if not Its no biggy as it will have cost me less than $5.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.