Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Things To Buy In Europe

18 Mar 2007 Scubapro5000 said

Default_avatar
Hello, I am doing a project for an exchange program I will be going on this summer. For this project I need to list things that tourists would normally buy in Europe, I couldn't find much on Google so i decided to ask here.
would you please list anything you think is a "must get" in Europe? and, if you can, how much it is?
thank you!
  • 18 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Well I think that depends on where the tourists are coming from and where in Europe they are visiting!

As a Canadian, I would definitely bring back alcoholic drinks from Europe because they have all kinds of varieties that are sold locally, and also alcohol is very expensive and heavily taxed here in Ontario.

If you go to Paris, you’ll bring back photos of yourself in front of the Eiffel Tower. Obviously. Each country has its own exhibits and specialities. Europe is extremely diverse. You need to be more specific!

• 18 Mar 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar

I’d totally have to agree with everyone on that. I’ve been to italy as well as france so here are a few of my suggestions:

Florence: Leather and Gold
    Austria: Swarovski crystal
    France: Wine – everyone gets that

And then there are the people who’ll go and get their picture taken of them trying to hold up the leaning tower of Pisa.

Hope this helps

• 18 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

Everyone is different, what one person likes may not be waht everyone wants. One guy on my tour bought a tee shirt from each city. I bought glass necklaces and glass figurines from Italy, a bunch of stereotypical pictures. I actually buy a Nomination charm that has a flag from each country I’ve been to.

• 18 Mar 2007 sous said

Default_avatar

i bought books-
    like museum/art gallery books etc..

• 18 Mar 2007 Chris_V said

Chris_V

what museum would you buy books from sous

• 18 Mar 2007 sous said

Default_avatar

many museums have gift shops where you can buy books about the things that are being exhibited in that particualr museum.

• 18 Mar 2007 sous said

Default_avatar

an example of the online version of the Louvre girft shop (lots of books you can buy- as i mentioned chris V)
    http://boutique.louvre.fr/

• 18 Mar 2007 Chris_V said

Chris_V

I have look sous thank you

• 21 Mar 2007 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I’m going to London and Paris in June and have a couple things in mind that I want to make sure to get (or do)…

London:
    •Small souvenirs from each London landmark I visit
    •Get pictures at St.Paul, London Bridge, Buckingham Palace
    •Eat Fish-n-Chips (just to see if they’re better)

Paris:
    •Chanel Purse or accessory
    •Eiffel Tower mini statue (some corny nick-nack Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    •Eat French pastry, drink wine and try Escargot!

• 21 Mar 2007 ~*Alex*~ said

Default_avatar

Wow!! I haven’t really thought of what i’m going to buy…i’ll probably buy things as i see them.

Although, i was considering buying a charm in each country i go to…and i want a beerstein!!! even though i HATE beer with a passion.

I’ll definitley be taking HUNDREDS of photos, and yes, i’ll be a tacky tourist and probably have one of me trying to hold the leaning tower of pisa :P

• 22 Mar 2007 Nastynig said

Default_avatar

I purchased Street artworks as well from the Romance cities of Florence, Rome, Venice and Paris for the same reason. They are cheap and usually give u a picture of one of the most important things in that city and they are also really like and easy to carry. I also got shot glasses from every night stop but found all the glass started to add up on my luggage limit. Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 22 Mar 2007 Pirate Tara said

Default_avatar

I’ve only been to Italy and Ireland…but here are some samples of what I bought:

Italy: I’m not even Catholic and I bought rosary beads in Vatican City. I also bought a souvenir/art book at the Ufizzi Gallery in Florence and a bag of dry pasta from one of the touristy stops. And of course, countless little keychains and postcards of stuff I couldn’t take pictures of and other little pointless knickknacks.

Ireland: I couldn’t afford it, but my mom bought Waterford Crystal at the factory. I also got a wool sweater from Blarney Woolen Mills and atiny statue of a horse made out of Connemara marble. And again, countless little keychains and postcards and knickknacks (I’m a big knickknack person).

• 23 Mar 2007 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I love the idea of street artwork. I definitely want to pick up some of that. I also want to get my portrait drawn in Paris – for the typical cliche of it all. I think that would be neat.

• 24 Mar 2007 TuscanTraveler said

Default_avatar

For acquiring souveneirs, is it best to shop around, I can only assume it’s like Canada, and that tourist spots have the most expensive gadgets, and that shopping around might be a bit better. Any stores you could suggest in Tuscany and Dublin that are priced appropriately?

• 25 Mar 2007 TuscanTraveler said

Default_avatar

Thank you very much. I’ll definitely check those out. I have like 16 people to buy gifts for. Thanks for the help.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.