Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Tap water/ carrying food/ Questions about European highlights tour (sept/oct)

5 Jun 2010 Explorer1186332 said

Default_avatar
Hi i am looking at doing the highlights tour (Sept 22 to 5 oct) have booked in, just not paid deposit yet,

A few questions I have first of all is Tap water safe to drink in the places we will be going? (France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium)

Can we carry food with us? I get very low energy so i was thinking of having Muesli bars/ packet of foods/ Sweets with me (stuff that wont spoil) is that ok to do? (hoping to buy in London)

what is the weather like end sept/ beginning October?

and we need to carry a sleeping bag, does this have to fit inside my luggage? or can i have it separate? (tied onto my bag)

Thanks in advance

Fiona and Sam
New Zealand
  • 5 Jun 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

Hey explorer, I did this tour last year. And you will have a awesome time.

When it came to tap water. Majority of people on tour just bought bottled water. The TM will tell you where its safe to drink the tap water.

Can you carry food on the bus. The answer is yes, but you are not allowed to bring dairy or hot food on the bus.

I went during the summer so I cant comment on the weather.

Do you need a sleeping bag? There are only a few time where you will need it. When I was on tour they gave us a sleeping bag. I dont remember if it was free or if we had to pay for it.

Hope this helps.

• 5 Jun 2010 Explorer1186332 said

Default_avatar

Ryan thanks for replying

I thought that might be the case for water, just like to cut down cost if possible (im not that fussy about water if im thirsty I will drink it!)

Cool great to know about the food thanks!

It says that we need to bring our own sleeping bag and towel on tour, so maybe they have changed the rules (I think I prefer my own, then I know its clean!)

• 6 Jun 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

hey Fiona and Sam,
    i’m goin on the highlights tour too but on the 5th of september Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    Coming from Aust and NZ you hav to bring your own sleeping bag, from wat ive read you cant take one on the plane if your flying from America/Canada. and yes you can just have it tied on top of your bag (this is just wat ive read)
    Good thing about the food lol coz i was planning on doin that as well.
    and as for the weather i’m not sure, i guess it depends on how you handle the cold… i’m from north queensland lol so i dont really do cold! but ive heard italy and the french riviera is still pretty warm in september but the upper parts, Germany Paris and Amsterdam start to get a bit cool.
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Jun 2010 Explorer1186332 said

Default_avatar

Hey Mel
    interesting about the sleeping bags! but all good, i figured we could tie it on otherwise i wouldn’t have room for all my clothes!

Yes i think it will be a lot cheaper to if i dont need to buy a full lunch every day, just snacks, esp if we have a big breakfast, that what i did when i went to America with my Dad only had 2 full meals a day Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> (plus great way to lose weight! hahaha)

I was thinking of planning for weather like we have here at moment and more into our winter, since we dont get Snow in Auckland.

How long are you going to be in Europe? (apart from the tour) are you going other places?

• 6 Jun 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

Hey,
    I have about a week all up before and after my tour in london but thats it for now. hopefully next year i’ll be going back to explore a bit more on my own Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 10 Jun 2010 Explorer1167996 said

Default_avatar

yes, i drank tap water everywhere – thank god as its expensive to by bottles all the time! you will be passing loads of shops/food places in the day so pick up food then rather than carry in your bag

• 10 Jun 2010 Explorer1167996 said

Default_avatar

you can carry your sleeping bag seperate..i used mine most of the time but about 2 places supplied sheets and in the hotel in germany nobody WASNT allowed to use my own one as it ‘spreads bed bugs’!

• 25 Jun 2010 Explorer1186332 said

Default_avatar

cool thanks for the replies Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.