Community_discussions_small  

Comment

cash passport atm cards to use in nz atms....

11 Aug 2008 Megan said

Default_avatar
Hey guys just wondering, this is my first trip to nz and my travel agent has advised i use a cash passport atm card as the charges are only A$3.75 per withdrarwal but i have read that you can only use this card at visa atm's. are all atm's in NZ visa atms??? help hehe cheers!!
Megan Smiler
  • 13 Aug 2008 jadeh said

Default_avatar

Hi Megan
    If your from Aus I highly recommend an anz travel card. It works like a visa so you dont get charged when you use it for eftpos and if you want to do cash out it is like 2 bucks for a transaction. Search on the net for anz travel card. Hope that helps

• 8 Dec 2008 Explorer1113449 said

Default_avatar

hey megan it is my first time travelling to, i just found the westpac to have a good deal they don;t charge any fee’s to use your money just an exchange rate % works out cheaper

• 9 Dec 2008 Jess said

Default_avatar

If you’re Australian, Westpac is definitely the way to go… I think there were westpac branches in nearly all of the major towns/cities we went to (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown etc.)… I never had any problems running out of cash because there was always an atm around… So if you can get an account with westpac, i’d do that. The fees they charge are covered by the currency conversion anyway so you’re no worse off.

• 9 Dec 2008 Jess said

Default_avatar

btw, you can only pay for your optionals with Mastercard, Visa or cash (i.e no eft.) so if you don’t have either of those cards, its going to be in your best interest to have cash readily available. I took a Westpac debit, westpac debit Mastercard and a Visa card and never had any dramas.

• 9 Dec 2008 Kav said

Default_avatar

can I use American Express ??

• 20 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar

95% of ATM’s will take visa cards. If you find one that doesn’t, odds are within a 100 metres there will be another that does.

• 11 Jan 2009 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Hi Megan,

I travel quite a bit and I always use my cash passport. Pretty much every atm in the world will accept visa and I usually just get like $100 out a day (depending on what your budjet is) its so much cheaper then a credit card and its alot easier to keep track of your money

• 13 Jan 2009 Emzies said

Default_avatar

If you are bringing a credit card, I would advise against it being American Express. American Express is not widely accepted in New Zealand as the fees it charges to retailers is too high. Visa/ Mastercard are a much better option. Also, for the Australians, while Westpac and ANZ are in New Zealand, they are two separate companies so they won’t be able to help you if you have problems accessing mony.

• 23 Jan 2009 Kerstin said

Kerstin

So Mastercard will be fine??
    I thing I got it, I’M so nervose….

• 28 Jan 2009 Tahnee1789 said

Tahnee1789

Hi Megan
    you can find out the exact location of any atm’s around the world that accept visa on this site www.visa.com/atm just type in the city name and it will give you the address`.
    As for a VISA passport, it’s like a prepaid phone card i would stick with my own bank get a debit/credit card(visa/mastercard are the best for international travel),and take more than one so you have a back-up.
    Hope this helpsSmiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Tahn

• 28 Jan 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

No need to address Megan’s question anymore in this thread – her trip was in Sept 2008.

- Vic

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion