Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money on Grand Southern

10 Apr 2010 Leah said

Default_avatar
Hey guys
My friend and I are doing the Grand Southern in August this year and was wondering the best way to handle the money situation. Is it best bring cash or use travellers cheques or just have a credit card??
  • 11 Apr 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Cash and credit cards. You can use credit cards in 99% of places in the US. But you might do better with the rates if you use an ATM and pay with cash.

• 12 Apr 2010 Suzanne said

Default_avatar

i did the eastern discovery which covers half the grand southern. i took a mix of things. i got a travel money card which i loaded on with money, then i used to take cash out. i also took a couple of hundred with me in cash, and then had my debit/credit cards. i used to travel money as a safer option to take cash out. i was able to use it in all ATMs and to pay in the shops. for the bigger transactions like $100 for orlando theme parks, and big shopping trips i used my credit cards. just be aware of having a back up incase something goes wrong, or u lose a card.

• 12 Apr 2010 RobieG said

RobieG

i did the grand southern in january, and i used a few different money options.1. i used ANZ Travel cards, you get two cards one is a back up if you loose your main card,you put US dollars on the card so you dont get charged for converting aussie dollars into US dollars, the cards can be used at any ATM and use it like a credit card when at the shops. 2. Debit card. this was my back up once i had spent all my money on my cards i also used this card at theme parks or on any purchases that were over $100. 3. cash! i took abput 200 us dollars when flying over to buy food and for taxis and tipping! i never had to use my credit card as my debit was accepted.

• 26 Apr 2010 melon1711 said

Default_avatar

hi,am considering doing this trip early next year and was wondering if any one would have a rough guide as to spending money? Not really a huge drinker but would like to shop a bit! Thanks!

• 24 May 2010 ogre867 said

Default_avatar

I agree with everyone here. I did the Grand Southern last year. Customs pulled me aside for a random inspection and asked how much money I had. I had a couple of hundered $US and my debit mastercard, which was perfectly fine. In regards to the actual tour, take some cash to get you started, I did not have any travellers cheques at all on the whole tour. ATM’s are all over the place, but make sure you have some cash to start off, and especially alot of $1 notes for tipping between the airport and the hotel and for the first few days.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.