Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Egypt dress code

13 Mar 2009 Missy_from_Aus said

Missy_from_Aus
im doing egypt and the nile cruise in july of this year and im a little concerned on what is seen as being appropriate clothing in such a country. Ive been told from an egyptian friend to keep shoulders and knees covered at all times. Is this correct? any other tips?

and also, for anyone having been on this tour, what kind of shoes would you recommend, seeing as its going to be the middle of summer over there!!!
thanks in advance =)
  • 13 Mar 2009 Explorer1086218 said

Default_avatar

When we went on this trip in ‘07, no one in our group had any issues with the dress code. The only time you really have to cover up is the day in Cairo where you visit mosques. Most of the girls in our group wore either capri pants or walking shorts and t-shirts most of the time. You’re right that it’s going to be hot, but we found that the sun was so strong (we went in August) that if you are at all prone to sunburn, you’ll be happiest in short sleeves instead of tank tops. Also, the trip is planned so that for the most part, you are out of the sun during the peak, hottest hours.

• 15 Mar 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I went in March and wore Capri pants most of the time. Shorts and tank tops aren’t appropriate in a lot of places. One of the girls wore a tank top one day and the kids (like 10-12 years old) were all making lude comments to each other about her. Regular T-Shirts will be fine though.

• 22 Mar 2009 rox said

Default_avatar

you must must must have your shoulders and knees covered at least (and no mid drift), even at night if you are going somewhere, you have to be covered up until you get inside. i would advise take a shawl to wrap around your shoulders for night.
    My family are egyptian, so i know my rules :P
    marsa matruh are a little more leanient because its more a tourist destination, but in cairo you have to cover up.
    hope this helps
    x

• 23 Mar 2009 Dr_Waco said

Dr_Waco

Yup, cover up in Cairo

• 29 Aug 2009 Casey said

Default_avatar

So long shorts that cover your knees and loose tees ok?

• 29 Aug 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I just got back from Egypt and Jordan and don’t listen to people that say you HAVE to cover up. It is respectful to cover up, but most of the people in touristy areas understand and dont care. There might be one or two people that give you glares or yell, but no one will do anything to you. The only time someone mentioned it was at the port in Jordan, but in the major cities no one did anything. Theyre more interested in getting your money to care what you are wearing.

I wore shorts every single day that did not cover my knees and tee-shirts and was fine. Most of the girls wore tank tops without problem. There are a lot of tourists there that wear bikini tops and booty shorts, especially at the pyramids and st catherines, which is taking it a bit far in my mind. You could definitely tell they were people from a cruise. It was so distasteful I would have been offended even at home. If you are reasonable no one will be upset.

I would recommend short sleeves over tank tops, but that is also to protect yourself from the sun. The rest I would say, just use common sense.

The one exception to this is inside religious buildings – churches and mosques. In there shoulders and knees must be covered much like Europe.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.