Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Seattle and Vancouver

22 Jun 2008 Pervy said

Pervy
I'm looking at going to both these cities before doing the Grand Southern next year. Can anyone tell me anything cool to see and do while there?
  • 22 Jun 2008 JoesAussieGal said

JoesAussieGal

I’m doing the Canada and the Rockies tour in September – While in Vancouver I plan on doing the following:

Whale Watching
    Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge
    City Attractions – on the tram (trolley) – i think?
    The Aquarium
    Taking the Rocky Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Whistler then back again the next day
    The ZipTrek Eco Tour – flying fox

I haven’t decided if I’ll spend time in Seattle or not yet but from what I have heard the Seattle fish market is something that is a must see.

Hope this helps

Kat

• 23 Jun 2008 Tracie said

Tracie

The ziptrek was absolutely awesome but that in Whistler.
    I didn’t find too much interesting in vancouver although it was good for shopping before i headed back home

• 23 Jun 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Thanks so much Benji your info is awsome, yeah I really want to go to Pike Place Market, and see the first Starbucks. Space Needle is a must for me plus I would love to go to a baseball game at Safeco.

• 28 Jul 2008 Ryan said

Default_avatar

Coming to this message a little late but I can’t ignore someone who wants to visit my neck of the woods.

In Seattle I’d say that Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, and the Library are the must sees. I’d also recommend just wandering around the downtown area as well as Pioneer Square. There’s also the Ballard Locks, as well as Kerry Park on Queen Anne (amazing views), and Alki Beach. Your idea to see a baseball game at Safeco Field is a good one too – even though the Seattle Mariners are terrible, it’s a great stadium. I think Seattle would be a good stop for a couple days.

Vancouver is fun too. I recommend the Grouse Mountain cable car, Capilano Suspension Bridge, and Stanley Park. Great Chinese food in Chinatown as well.

The main attraction in the Pacific Northwest is the outdoors, so there’s also lots of hikes, mountains, etc. close by if you’re into that.

Send me a message if you want any more info or just want someone to grab a beer or two with while you’re here.

• 3 Nov 2011 Ron said

Ron

Since I’m chiming in to this conversation well past its expiry, I will anyways!

I’m from Vancouver, and if you are not from North America, and are a sports enthusiast, go see a hockey game. The Vancouver Giants play at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE for short) and it’s great value ($20 CDN for a lower bowl ticket) for some good hockey. The usual stuff: Stanley Park, Chinatown, the north shore mountains (Grouse, Cypress and Seymour) are all great, but don’t forget to walk down Granville on a Saturday night, or take a visit to Gastown (just a hop, skip and a jump away). Also make sure you try a Japadog. Yeah, sounds weird, but for a hot dog cart it is hugely popular so expect a line. Don’t forget to stop by Canada Place for a great view of the mountains and to see the Olympic torch. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, the Grouse Grind is a good way to burn off some Japadogs, the record is under 40 mins, and it comes as advertised. Black Tusk is another good day-hike just north of Vancouver.

Travelling around downtown is usually easy by walking or bus. A daypass for a bus is usually around $8.00. Outside of downtown, the transit is not as great, so a cab may be preffered if you have a deadline to meet. The Skytrain is also handy to get to and from the suburbs to downtown and to the airport.

Vancouver is an expensive city, so plan accordingly, but the people, landscape and value are worth every penny.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion