Community_discussions_small  

Question

General advice?

16 Oct 2007 starlet asked

Default_avatar
Hey guys,

I am contemplating doing a concepts tour next April. I apologise if this has been brought up before as I have read a lot of the posts already on the boards. Basically I'm not much of a camper (even though I know in concept tours you don't camp, I'm just 'setting the scene' haha). I like a decent shower and I like a decent bed. Without sounding like a princess (haha cause it couldn't be further from the truth!) would I still have a sweet time?? I'm scared as I'd be a solo traveller, but I'm keen on meeting new people and... yeah!

Thanks in advance Smiler
  • 17 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

Concept tours are kinda like a family holiday at a caravan park (trailer park in the US). Or a school camp. One where you have to walk from you cabin to the shower block. Bed and shower standards will vary depending on tour and locations, but you can sleep on them and the water works Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. I’ve heard sometimes the water pressure isn’t that great, but everyone survives.

I think you’ll be okay, just remember not to complain or ppl will think you are a princess Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. The concept tours seem to be a lot of fun for meeting people and have good ‘party’ scenes.

If you aren’t sure how you’ll go, maybe best to pick a shorter rather than a longer tour. Oh and pack light either way Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Oct 2007 jenz said

Default_avatar

I’m a bit of a princess too, and to tell you the truth, the showers suck at most places. Either too hot or too cold, with bad water pressure. I maybe had one decent shower the whole tour. That said, you get clean and get over it and go on to have an awesome time in awesome places with awesome people. Then you have a nice shower when you get home.

• 21 Oct 2007 mtaylor said

Default_avatar

Im also quite a ‘princess’ haha!! I did the European Magic this August which is a superior tour. However even though it was superior tour most of our hotels were pretty simple. I did have a chance to visit the Contiki campsite in Venice and I loved it. There were so many more young people and the bar scene was alot funner. Superior tours tend to have a higher average age (more couples, honeymooners, etc) with only 1 tour staying at the hotel, while budget tours have a younger average age and you stay at a campground with anywhere from 4-8 other Contiki tours. Depending on how old you are, if your going alone or with a friend, and how much you enjoy drinking and partying you should consider the demographics of both the budget and the superior tour!!

• 21 Oct 2007 starlet said

Default_avatar

Thank you guys for your advice Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> As silly as it is, one of my main worries is being able to and having the time to have a shower in the morning and/or at night before going out. I’m 23 and do love partying, yet I wanna be able to take in all the sights etc! At this stage I’m thinking the Highlights tour Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Also for the reasons you mentioned mtaylor, although I’d prefer to stay in hotels the whole way, being a single traveller it’d be more fun travelling with other singles so I’m guessing concepts/budget it is for me!
    Thanks again.

• 22 Oct 2007 Lucylou172 said

Default_avatar

I have just returned from a 29 day Euro contrasts Tour (not camping)

We all love a good shower, and as some have already mentioned, the condition and quality of the amenities do vary from place to place.

there will be times where you will have only an hour to “get ready” for going out…. whether this is an achievable target for yourself is up to you, remembering you will have a coach load of others fighting for the showers & power points for those that straighten or blow dry the hair.

make your trips to the amenities easy by stripping off in your room to your undies, I hada beach towel & a chamois – used the beach towel to wrap around self and walk to showers with only carying your toiletries. & clean undies. Change when you get back to your room (nothing worse then dropping your dress or shirt etc)…

if you have no expectations then you won’t be disappointed….

happy & safe travels to you

• 22 Oct 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

I did Scandi as a budget tour and from your description, you might want to go with a superior tour. I’m not much of a roughing it type of girl, I obviously survived the tour and all was well. But didn’t have many “enjoyable” showers. Between carrying all your stuff, waiting on line. Some places you have to pay for the shower, other places they might have a push button system (you get about 30 seconds or a minute of water per push), then trying to dry off and put some clothes back on to get back to the cabin. I learned to take quick efficient showers the first morning.

In the end the showers weren’t so great, but I thought that the cabins created a great environment for a tour. I wouldn’t pick a concept tour for my first choice, but I wont rule it out either.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.