Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Cute laundry tip

1 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar
For those of you about to leave for your Contiki trip, or those who will be leaving in the future but are insanely gathering as much info as possible, I have a neat idea for when you do laundry.

If you go on a longer tour, it will be inevitable that you will have to wash your underwear in your sink at some point. Now, I'm not sure if this only works in the hotels because I'm not sure what the cabins are like. Anyway, after washing your unmentionables, to help them dry faster, simply hang them on the lampshade with teh light on. The heat will help them dry faster and it's usually not as humid in the room as it might be if you hung them on a line in the bathroom.
  • 1 Mar 2007 junior37991 said

Default_avatar

What are the lamp sizes so I know how many ‘unmentionables’ I can dry at once. Thanks

• 1 Mar 2007 laur-ah said

Default_avatar

isn’t that a recipe for disaster, namely, a fire hazhard?

• 1 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

The lamp sizes vary from hotel to hotel I believe. In some places, I was able to dry 4 or 5 at once, although female undergarments are not as big as boxers that some of the males wear. Some lamps were very small, and could only hold one.

laur-ah, I’ve done laundry like this many times while on the road, not once did I ever have any kind of fire hazard. As a kid, I used to put a thin blanket over a lamp and that’s what we used as a nightlight. Maybe it is a fire hazard? I don’t know, but in my years, I’ve never had any problems.

Although, it might be a bit strange if you don’t warn your roomate and htey walk in and see your underoos hanging off of every light.

• 1 Mar 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

hehe an added bonus i spose is that they’re warm when you put them on Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

Might also be an idea to clean/dust/wipe the lamps prior to placing wet items, preferably not with those items of course Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 2 Mar 2007 Sylviana said

Default_avatar

Hi, I am going on a European Panorama tour for 28 days in July.

As this is my first time doing this kind of tour, does anyone know how could we get our other clothes washed (jeans, tops etc). Will there be a laundry service at the hotel? And if yes, will there be enough time to drop them off and have them washed before you leave for another hotel?

• 2 Mar 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

There is alot of “sink washing” done on the Panorama tour. The best stop is in Nice ~10 Euros for a large pillow case of laundry at the hotel (that’s if Contiki is still booking into the hotel Kyriad). The 2-night stops should give your stuff enough time to dry for all the sink-washed clothes provided you wash as soon as you arrive at a new city. You have 3 nights in Corfu and it is hot so you can wash everything and let it dry on the balcony.

Many other hotel laundry services are quite costly.

see www.eastboca.net for more info.

- Vic

• 2 Mar 2007 Sylviana said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the tips. Just another question: do we get to iron our clothes during the trip? Will there be irons provided at the hotels?

PS for Vic, I went to your eastboca website and i liked it! It has all the information that I want to know. I am currently downloading the movie.

• 3 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

Cheap mans way of ironing: When you take a shower, hang up your clothes that need to be ironed in the bathroom. The steam will take out the wrinkles.

• 6 Feb 2008 JenMc said

Default_avatar

Also, for all the girls with flat irons for hair straightning, they work great to iron wrinkles out of clothes as well!!

• 6 Feb 2008 kttrav said

Default_avatar

i think i’ll be hanging my unmentionables out the window to dry…

• 6 Feb 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by kttrav:
    i think i’ll be hanging my unmentionables out the window to dry…

u wont be the first … nor the last to do this !!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

- Vic

• 14 Feb 2008 Brandon66 said

Default_avatar

As a Fire Chief i highly recommend that you do not hang your garments on a lamp. The water will absorb into the wiring which will then lead to the electrical outlet and a nice little spark will arise and chances are good that this will burn your cabin, hote, whatever down and most likely will happen when your asleep. Just a friendly reminder to be safe. Use your hotel balcony in the daytime or in cabins the temperature is warm enough to dry it through the day..

• 3 Mar 2008 danielle0801 said

Default_avatar

im just impressed the amount of times “unmentionables” has been mentioned !! hehe

• 3 Mar 2008 becka_kate said

becka_kate

My mum’s tip for drying your unmentionables & socks if needed in a hurry – put them in a placcy bag and blow a hair dryer into the bag. Shake every know and then.

• 4 Mar 2008 Leecy22 said

Default_avatar

Purchase a travel iron and hair dryer – it’s your best friend. They are light and compact and can easily fit into your suitcase! For my Grand Southern tour, I used the iron to dry my jeans (there was an insanely long wait in Dallas and the clothes dryers didn’t really dry that well), and in the places with no hair dryers, I was pretty set, could still dry my hair no worries!

Definitely look out for them in travel stores!

• 13 Jun 2008 Explorer1093595 said

Default_avatar

Heres another suggestion for that…bring your underwear that is on its way out and once you’ve worn that pair, throw it away…it also helps with your space, because you’ll have more space for stuff you buy!

• 15 Jun 2008 JessiB said

Default_avatar

while we’re exchanging motherly tips, my mom told me to just take all my underwear that i currently have (instead of buying all new) and slowly throwing them out as they’re used… ergo no laundry AND more room for souvies!!! Remember “unmentionables” doesn’t weight much at all, and who wants to do ANY laundry while on a trip!!

• 15 Jun 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

If your tour is early or late in the season, hang your cloths over the heaters (not on them) or just near them, it will help dry them.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion