Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Little money, Little Food

9 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar
My trip does not leave until Sept, but I am alerady worried about spending money. I would rather spend my money on admissions, souveniers,etc rather than on food. As I hear it is very expensive in europe. Any suggestions as to how I can bring my food bill down?
  • 10 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Hmmmm, let me have a think:

- Have a big breakfast, it might tie you over until dinner
    - Buy Subway, it’s cheap and you can eat half now and half later
    - Buy snacks/fruit for the bus from the supermarket as opposed to little stores or truck stops
    - Don’t buy lunch in front of a major tourist attraction, they’re always inflated there. Walk a bit further and down/around some side streets and pick something up there instead
    - Don’t have lunch at restaurants/cafes – buy a sandwich, fruit or something else on the go

That’s all I can think of, for now!

• 10 Jun 2008 Dougie said

Default_avatar

Hi corrina,

i havent been yet, im going in september too on the euro horizons tour!

but im going with 2 friends, and what we have decided to do is to avoid many of the cafes etc, and buy stuff we can make meals out of from supermarkets

for example, you could go to a supermarket and buy fresh rolls, some sliced meats, salad
    and you could get your lunch for say under 10 euros each and have more than enough….

thats just what im thinking and not what i know, so any one please feel free to tell me otherwise..

cheers

Dougie

• 10 Jun 2008 le tour said

Default_avatar

McDonalds

• 10 Jun 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

Ha ha McDonalds, at least you know what youre getting! I’ll probably order something like frogs legs in France because I can’t read the menu. Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->
    I’m worried about getting enough saved too! The big breakfast idea is good, but eating the food for me is almost as important as siteseeing. I hear Italian cruisine is to die for and I’ve always wanted to eat my way around the world, all different food from all different cultures Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    So sorry Corrina, i can’t help you there! Can anyone reccommend places they went that had good local food without charging you a lot?

• 10 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Avoid Autogrills! Sooooo expensive!

• 10 Jun 2008 Chillibg said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    We doing the Euro Horizon Sept, planning on having a good breakfast and something light for lunch, buy from supermarkets…
    I rather spend my money on goodies and optional excursions!

Default_avatar

Dougie, Where are you guys from?

• 10 Jun 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steve85:

What exactly is an autogrill? I have this stupid image in my head of sausages cooking on a car and i know thats not right!

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Corrinna:
    My trip does not leave until Sept, but I am alerady worried about spending money. I would rather spend my money on admissions, souveniers,etc rather than on food. As I hear it is very expensive in europe. Any suggestions as to how I can bring my food bill down?

Hi Corrinna, what tour are you doing?

• 10 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar

I am doing the European Escapade leaving Sept 20th.

U?

Steve85
    quote:
    Originally posted by MeganSD:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steve85:

What exactly is an autogrill? I have this stupid image in my head of sausages cooking on a car and i know thats not right!

Haha, it’s these massive roadside restaurant type service stations everywhere throughout Europe. Most of the service stops are at Autogrills, which there are usually pretty good cafes, servo’s and usually a Burger King or something like that. Pretty excy though, thats the only problem.

• 10 Jun 2008 Maru said

Default_avatar

How about instant noodles, then look for a place where you can boil water?

Or get some peanut butter (for your protein)and a loaf of bread from supermarkets ?

Can this be done?

• 10 Jun 2008 Kristy said

Default_avatar

heya all,
    i read in another post (of course i can’t find it now) where it was suggested by another Contiki-er to take a tube (yes they do come in tubes) or jar of vegemite/peanut butter/etc, grab an extra roll from breakfast and make a bit of a sandwich.

i head off in two weeks, so im going to give that a go. i’ll let you know how it turns out.

safe travels to all.

• 10 Jun 2008 Sherbie Woo said

Sherbie Woo

I’m already stocking up on food/snacks such as beef jerky (snacks), instant noodles/cup o’noodles. I was at the market & picked up a variety of different noodle typed meals. I’m also bringing dried fruit snacks. With the technology today, we can buy food to go with out having to cook it. Hope that helps.

• 10 Jun 2008 Kirijane123 said

Default_avatar

Hey there, I am going HEAPS cheap on all food on my tour. Like bread is what I shall live on the days that I am not doing an optional dinner or the 1/2 of the time that I don’t have a Contiki dinner provided. Of course I will eat a couple of things native to that country – but thats the extent of it. Got to get that tight budget in tact.

• 10 Jun 2008 Explorer1101860 said

Default_avatar

As a pom who has seen a fair bit of Europe I have always found the likes of Germany and Holland cheapest for food & drink and France and Italy expensive. When I was in Berlin I lived on €1 bratwurst from the vendors in Alekzanderplatz (highly highly recommended too!!!), the beer was also cheap (€3-€4) compared to say Paris (€7-€9 for a beer and wine!!!). I found it very handy to pick up thinks in supermarkets rather than to eat in restaurants every day, for example in Paris you can pick up a six pack of 500ml water from the supermarket for €1.50 yet you would pay the same for just 1 bottle in a tabac.

I’m off on a euro highlights in September and i’m already bracing myself for the likes of Paris, Nice and Florence & Rome – thankfully I know that i’ll get good grub in Germany to make up for it

• 10 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

A lot of great suggestions. I am a big fan of the bread/cheese/meat etc. for lunches. It can save you a lot of $$, and more importantly, also gives you the chance to experience life as a local.

My advice on how to really save you some $$, which may not be very popular, is to pass on some of the Optional Dinners. I always go on the first one, using it as a chance to get to know the group. I also enjoy ones with shows- like the dinner/flamenco show in Spain as an example, but unless it sounds pretty special, I usually give it a miss. You can almost always eat more cheaply than the $30-50 Euro price tag for the optional dinners, which to me, were seldom worth it. You are essentially going to hang with your tourmates, so do what I did and convince people to join you. There are usually others who feel the same, whether they’re on a tight budget or just want a break from the big group.

Budget was never a determining factor for me with food. I must agree with a previous poster that the food is a huge part of the whole experience of travelling. I like quaint little places that are off the beaten path, and unfortunately, the places Contiki chooses don’t usually fit the bill. It’s not their fault, just a function of many things, like needing capacity for groups of 50+, food with broader appeal, etc.

Hope that helps.
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar

Hi! Okay.. My idea was to pack some extra empty sandwich bags……. I am sorta hoping that it’s possible to pack ‘a little extra’ from breakfast, onto the bus………. LOL.

But shhhh……. I don’t know if this is allowed.

Also: i’m gonna be packing some granola bars/snacks as well, in case I get hungry… And, like some other people have suggested, stock up on food in the supermarket!

• 10 Jun 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

I only spend about 40-60 euros a day last sept. I also took a box of oat meal and a box of breakfast bars for snacks packed in my check in luggage. I also took a small collapsable cooler and bought lunch meats and small breads at delis and buy from shops on side streets its much cheaper than on the main streets. mom and pop stores are always cheaper but don’t always take credit cards or speak much english so make sure you try to learn a little just to get by.

Eat at the truck stops between city drives they have great food and usually better coffee just be first in line.

Steve85

Laziness and the convenience of Autogrill will get the better of you, guaranteed haha

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion