Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Outer Barrier Reef Cruise

7 Aug 2009 ashley_h said

Default_avatar
Hey, I have a question about the Outer Barrier Reef Cruise in the Whitsundays & Cairns.
Both are offered and have the same style description, but have different prices?

Are there any difference?
Also there is scuba diving offered on both, but no cost listed on the one in Whitsundays.

Thanks
  • 7 Aug 2009 GatorBrett1 said

GatorBrett1

95% of the tour did the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns. Supposedly it is more dense and warmer up there. We took 90min in a nice boat to the reef, and then get our gear and dive. It’s kind of a small area, but the diversity of coral is amazing! I don’t know anyone who did Whitsunday reef dive, so I can’t answer about that.

• 10 Aug 2009 DaveM said

Default_avatar

I also don’t know anyone that did the Whitsunday one – the Cairns one came much more highly recommended.

Plus, if you’re sailing the Whitsundays you get to snorkel anyway.

• 11 Aug 2009 Jo said

Default_avatar

Hi, can anyone tell me what is included while on Daydream Island? Are the activities all classed as optional excursions eg the Outer Barrier Cruise etc or does Contiki provide a day cruise in the package? I saw something about Whitehaven Island? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Aug 2009 Darren said

Default_avatar

I did a snorkelling trip out of Port Douglas about ten years ago, and it was fantastic. They drop food off the platform to attract the fish, so they swim right up to you.

• 17 Aug 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

you just go to different parts of the reef depending which city you do it from. most choose to do it in Cairns- i did and loved it as i prefered to do the whitsundays day cruise and see whitehaven instead of going to reef when i can do it in cairns

• 30 Aug 2009 Maid Marian said

Maid Marian

Hey, Cairns is the place to do diving – it’s a brilliant spot!

I did my first introductory dive then and I’d highly recommend it. Just one tip: if you’re doing the reverse tour (i.e. starting North and going South rather than the other way round), the night before the reef trip is quite a big night out at the Woolshed, so be careful not to get too drunk. One guy on our tour was so incredibly hungover, he slept all the way on the boat out there and then had to cancel his dive because he didn’t feel well enough – he’s still disappointed about it!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion