Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Alcartraz Island

29 Mar 2010 Explorer1109301 said

Default_avatar
hi im going on the best of the USA in a couple of weeks time and am trying to decide whether to do the alcartraz tour. i really want to but im not sure if there will be enough time because we're not in San Fran for long. when would be the best time to do this on which day and in the morning or afternoon?
  • 30 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1109301:
    hi im going on the best of the USA in a couple of weeks time and am trying to decide whether to do the alcartraz tour. i really want to but im not sure if there will be enough time because we’re not in San Fran for long. when would be the best time to do this on which day and in the morning or afternoon?

Hi There,

Firstly, I did the Best of USA and it was awesome!
    Secondly, I really suggest doing the Alcatraz tour as it’s well worthwhile and you have plenty of time on your second day in San Fran to do it.
    It books out really quickly so I suggest booking online ASAP.

Cheers
    Wez

• 30 Mar 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

hi, I didnt go to San Francisco with Contiki but i have been on my own and Alcatraz was the best part of the visit to San Francisco so definately do it!! i have since revisited San Francisco with another tour company (Trek America)and some of my friends on the trip wanted to go to Alcatraz but it was all fully booked so they miss out. so i agree with Wez’s post above that you must book in advance online if you want to guarantee it!

• 30 Mar 2010 Explorer1109301 said

Default_avatar

Thanks to both of you that has been a big help.

• 30 Mar 2010 JenShep said

JenShep

HI

I did the Alcatraz tour at night, the view of a night was fantasic we were lucky ans had no fog, also they have extra exhibits and tour operating of a night. so if you don’t want to miss out on anything during the day there is the night the ferry leaves at about 5pm and the last ferry leaves at 8:30pm.

• 31 Mar 2010 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

Booked my night tour ticket the other day, chose the later session so I get the fuller “night” effect… can’t wait, sounds awesome! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 7 Apr 2010 socalgal said

Default_avatar

Def to the night tour. I have done both the day and night tours. They limit the amount of people on the island at night so you dont have to try and squeeze past all the people to see each thing. Plus the night views are awesome. They also have storytellers and special guided tours at night that they dont do during the day tour. BOOK AHEAD! This is one spot that always sells out

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion