Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Preferred Departure

19 Aug 2008 ...Courtney... said

...Courtney...
hey!
Just wanted to know what preferred departure meant. Is it the same as guaranteed departure? Hope so!
thanks
  • 20 Aug 2008 Reece said

Reece

i would also like to know if it means that also

Cheers Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Aug 2008 Ec said

Default_avatar

hey i would also like to know… i read the tick means guaranteed ( one of the moderators said this) But yes, if it says ‘’preferred departure’’ then it may not be guaranteed…. although you would think these tours will fill up first given the preference.

• 20 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

Hi… I contacted Contiki in New Zealand and they said that Preferred Tick is Guranteed departure. Also can anyone help me by telling me how far is Heathrom from Russell Square- We arrive back in London on 13th March from the tour (if I do european inspiration 23rd Feb one) and our flight is on 13th march 09 at 9:45 pm… will we be cutting it short… what is the average time have tours reached from Paris to London based on previous timetables. Thanks

• 20 Aug 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Also can anyone help me by telling me how far is Heathrom from Russell Square- We arrive back in London on 13th March from the tour (if I do european inspiration 23rd Feb one) and our flight is on 13th march 09 at 9:45 pm… will we be cutting it short… what is the average time have tours reached from Paris to London based on previous timetables. Thanks

You “should” (and I use this term lightly) arrive back to the Royal National by 6pm – this is presuming nothing goes wrong and there are no delays at the ferry crossing, with traffic etc.

You would need to check in at 7:45pm (at least) for an international departure so you’d basically have to jump on the tube straight away to have any hope of getting there on time.

If you can change the time or leave the next day, I would.

• 20 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

True… but the thing is have to come back to work on the 16th- and due to time difference we loose a day… so I have to leave on the 13th… and that’s the latest flight back to Auckland- How long does it take to reach Heathrow from contiki basement?

• 20 Aug 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1084391:
    True… but the thing is have to come back to work on the 16th- and due to time difference we loose a day… so I have to leave on the 13th… and that’s the latest flight back to Auckland- How long does it take to reach Heathrow from contiki basement?

On the tube, about 1-1.5 hrs (again, provided there are no unforseen delays).

• 21 Aug 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

But what if you miss your flight? I don’t know about your tour but my itinerary says we will arrive back at the Royal National between 5pm & 8pm depending on traffic. I would try to wraggle an extra day off or if you absolutely have to be back at work on that day, I would cut my tour short by one day and leave from the last city you will be in. Actually I would book a flight for a later day and call my work and say I got delayed, but thats a bit dodgy!

• 21 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

I know that’s what I’m worried about is missing my flight… the tour that we booked on originally for European Inspiration departs on 16 Feb so that was sweet to fly on the 13th of March… but then thats not guranteed departure so I’m worried what if it gets cancelled. Also I claled Contiki and they not able to tell me how many people have booked that trip. That’s why I was looking at changing to 23rd Feb and arrive bck 13th March…. coz now that I’ve paid for the trip I have to pay for the date changes on contiki as well as flight changes…. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Aug 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

What Katie suggested might work then – tell them you were delayed from Heathrow…!

• 21 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

Hahaha so true… might need to do that Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Just wish the day we originally booked for was guranteed too….thanks guys.

• 25 Aug 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

Nothing your job can do if you’re stuck in London an extra night Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Look into what kind of penalty you would pay if you miss your flight and have to take a later one.

You have a good chance of getting in on time, but there is certainly no guarantee. Also, is there anyway you can change your flight so you leave from your last city instead of from London?

• 26 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

I think we will need to do that… change the dates…. we’ve taken 2 months off from work so did’nt want to push it Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> But then dont want to be stuck without a tour…. One day should’nt make much of a difference… Just need to pay the fess to change everything sigh! That goes for paying 8 months in Advance for our tour and flight :C

• 26 Aug 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1084391:
    I think we will need to do that… change the dates…. we’ve taken 2 months off from work so did’nt want to push it Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> But then dont want to be stuck without a tour…. One day should’nt make much of a difference… Just need to pay the fess to change everything sigh! That goes for paying 8 months in Advance for our tour and flight :C

That’s always the way! I booked a trip to Hong Kong in April this year and got a really good deal and yada yada and then, just last week, decided I would go to Beijing too so cancelled all that and started again and ended up paying more, of course! LOL!

• 26 Aug 2008 teachergeek said

teachergeek

Still curious regarding the original question- any ideas as to what “preffered” means yet? My trip is down as this too.

• 27 Aug 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

I called up contiki Australia and New Zealand… they said preffered is Guaranteed Departure… the tour would leave that day.

• 28 Aug 2008 Reece said

Reece

yeah agree with the above post

• 5 Sep 2008 Ang said

Default_avatar

Yep, Contiki in Australia told me it means it’s guaranteed. I don’t know why the different wording tho!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion