Community_discussions_small  

Question

When is the best time to go????

2 Jan 2010 Christine asked

Christine
Hi

I'm going to go on the Grand Explorer this year but I can't decide what time of the year to go.
I want to do all of the optionals plus a bit of snow sports. I'm worried if I go in July / August it will be too cold.

All suggestions / comments welcome!!!
  • 5 Jan 2010 Deborah said

Deborah

Hiya,

If your going for the snow it’s meant to be cold! :P but with the months your suggesting I would probably go for end of July, more August, the weather is a bit more stable and the snow base would be better. With July also are the New Zealand school holidays for about half of the month so a lot of the optional activities you might wanna do (like zorbing in Rotorua is a must!) should hopefully be less busy.

Hope this helps!

And being a proud kiwi you picked an awesome place to go exploring! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Deborah

• 7 Jan 2010 Christine said

Christine

Thanks heaps Deborah!!
    That’s helped a lot. I’m not a fan of the cold but I’m going to brave it.

Cheers!!

• 21 Feb 2010 Rozzy said

Rozzy

Im an Aussie and looking to do the 15 day Grand Explorer and was wondering what time of the year is the best time to travel to NZ for the water sports activities and to be able to swim. I was looking at September/October is that still too cool then???

• 22 Feb 2010 tamzn said

Default_avatar

Any time in NZ is a good time to go……weather is pretty warm right now just getting through summer so between July/August should be cold enough for snow! I think our skiing season starts about Aug/Sept though if thats what your coming to look @….GOOD LUCK Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 5 Apr 2010 joe_bloggs said

joe_bloggs

If you wanna swim, go in summer. I’d say anytime between November and March.

• 7 Apr 2010 Nikcii said

Nikcii

Heya, i went in mid august 2009 and yes it was cold, but not freezing! it rained 2 days in queenstown and was overcast a few others, but otherwise we had sunshine every other day. We were all quite warm in just jeans and jumper. And whilst in queenstown there was the day option of learning to ski and there was plenty of snow up there. if you want to swim tho, i would choose summer months

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.