Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Giving Tips

23 Oct 2007 ukutie said

Default_avatar
Hi All,

I am looking at going to Europe soon and was wondering about giving tips to taxi drivers etc etc. Does everyone expect to be given a tip and how big are the tips normally? Who should you tip and who should you not tip?
Thanks all
Take Care
  • 23 Oct 2007 Kirsten :) said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I just got back from my European Panorama – 28 days…

Expect to pay 50c EURO per visit to a public Restroom… Some toilets you have to put a coin in the door, or others you pay a person who sits there…

In terms of Restaurants, you can tip them whatever you like, some restaurants add on a Tip Surcharge to your bill so you have to pay it… others you can add on as much as you like… If there is a group of you, a Euro or 2 each adds up pretty quick.

The better u think the service is, you can tip more or less accordingly…

With Taxi’s we generally had a minimum of 2-4 people so we would just put in about 5 euros tip between us… depending on the cabbie and how we were feeling…

The European service industry is very reliant on tips to make up part of their wage, so any small amounts always add up… With dinners that are included, we wouldnt tip, cause it was already paid for…

Just do whatever you think is right… all situations are different, so just assess it as it comes… Sometimes you will tip more than others, and sometimes not at all…

Keep an open mind.

Kirsten. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Jul 2011 JackDarcy said

Default_avatar

Chauffeur service is the best option for people who are going to a place that they do not know. Because of the comfort and probably the type of cars chauffeured companies are using the services are listed under luxury services. As well as chauffeurs are very good in airport transferring services and they make a good reputation of there customers.

• 24 Jul 2011 KC said

KC

In addition to toilets and waiter tips, don’t forget that you’ll need to tip your TM and driver. The average tip is 2-3 Euros a day which adds up if you count the days (you only pay at the end) so if you do a 16 day tour you end up paying between 30 and 40 Euros per person, so budget that in to your planning.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.