Community_discussions_small  

Question

Health conscious Europeans?

29 Sep 2008 CherrySA asked

Default_avatar
HI all!

I was wondering if Europeans are Health conscious.. Is it easy to get low fat milk, Health Breads (Low GI) low calorie/Kj snack bars? Healthier alternatives at restaurants… that type of thing?
Hmmm?
I know I’m on holiday and not supposed to worry about these things, I will obviously eat the local things from eat country I just don’t want to come back and have to work really hard for 12 days of eating badly! I want to make sandwiches and take fruit for the bus trips so its not Take-Away everyday.. Hence the questions..

Thanks in advance for the info!!
  • 29 Sep 2008 Ang said

Default_avatar

I can’t say that I really noticed those things when I was there (though I wasn’t exactly looking for them). On travel days, you will have service stops, which are just shops attached to petrol stations…some of them will be gigantic complexes with lots of options, others will be like your local corner store. Most places had sandwiches/tubs of fruit etc, but most people on the bus will be getting chips, chocolates, lollies and biscuits. Don’t eat on the bus if you’re not hungry, and try to grab fruit etc when you see it…my friend was craving a banana on tour, and ended up paying a fortune for one when she found it – most fresh fruits won’t be in season, and will be few and far between.

Included meals won’t really give you an option, and they range in quality and content…if you’re worried, don’t eat everything they put on your plate, don’t go for seconds at buffets, common sense kind of things. Realistically, you are doing that much walking anyway, you should be fine – I actually lost a little weight on my trip because of all the walking we did – and believe me, I like to eat!

Just bear in mind the healthier stuff will usually cost more, and don’t be afraid to break from the pack if they are all heading for Maccas!

As for restaurants, it will depend where you are, and how many languages you speak – asking for a low carb, low gi meal at a little bistro tucked down an alley in Rome will probably be met with strange looks Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Enjoy it – food is part of the experience as well!

• 29 Dec 2012 kimkerry said

Default_avatar

For all people who are very health conscious we have some great deals that could help in staying fit and healthy. You just need to fill up the order page to get started to your journey for a better health.

• 2 Jan 2013 CharlesF-M said

CharlesF-M

Most European food is more natural and less mass produced then else where. Also you will use up more calories because you are going to be more active. Last Contiki trip I lost 15 lbs.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion