Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Powerboard

13 May 2009 matt86 said

Default_avatar
Ok, so i hear that in some of the contiki rooms that there is only a small amount of power points, and ppl all take turns, so i am going to bring a intl powerpoint adapter and a power board.. does anyone who has been on this trip recomend this as a good idea? or a pointless waste of space/and time?
cheers
  • 13 May 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

I haven’t taken a tour yet (I leave June 8th) but I was considering the same thing. I ended up deciding against it since the only things that I would need to charge would be my MP3 player, cell phone, and digital camera. My cell phone had about a 3 day battery life when idle and I opted to just buy an extra battery for the camera. It takes up less space and that way I only really need to charged the MP3 player and one of the other two items daily.

I think what it comes down to is how many items you will need to charge. Keep in mind that there are usually a few power points on the buses as well, though not many from what I hear.

Honestly, there are probably only a few power points available for a reason. I’m no electrician, but their power system may not be able to handle more items being plugged in. If you bring a power board, I would suggest one that has a surge protector build in.

Enjoy your trip!

• 14 May 2009 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

On my tour the majority of people were Australians, so it was really appreciated that i brought along a small 4 outlet power board, because lots of people could borrow it.

I mostly plugged it in on the coach, because a lot of people forgot to charge their cameras overnight so fighting was fierce for a spot (from memory there was only 2 plugs available).

If you’ve got a spare spot in your luggage I would definitely recommend it!

• 14 May 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I did exactly what Andrea is suggesting – bought an extra battery for my camera and only charged my ipod ocassionally. I think most newer electronics can get a full charge within a few hours so you can easily share the outlets between all your devices and roommates. If you bring a strip, I am sure you will have use for it, but it is not 100% necessary. Remember the bus should have chargers on them too so you could charge an iPod or other device on a long trip whiley ou are sleeping.

I think most rooms had at least 2 plugs available, if not more. I found we were in and out of the room enough in the evenings that we could switch things around easily.

• 15 May 2009 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

It should be fine (and handy) in rooms, but we were told not to use them on the bus as it overloads the power point.

• 21 May 2009 tiny_dancer said

Default_avatar

Hey All,
    Last time on my travels I found it a little frustrating in hostel rooms charging my stuff because on average there was 1 power point/ x2 plug holes for approx four ppl. So this time i’m taking the design go travel adapter set which also includes a double adapter. (This is great because you can charge to things at once.) Should make all the difference without having to carry more adapters.
    As for on the bus and charging … if you are organised enough you probably shouldn’t have to charge anthing.. and if you do on the rare occasion.
    Hope this helps.
    Mel.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.