Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Pre-departure

4 Jun 2008 Americangirl123 said

Default_avatar
I was told by Contiki that I should stay at the hotel at which the trip is departing from in order to go to the pre-departure meeting the night before and meet my group. Has anyone done this? How many people usually stay here that night and how important is it?
  • 5 Jun 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

My friend just started her NZ contiki from Auckland on sunday and she was only 1 of 6 people on her tour staying at the Contiki hotel. The women at checkin said most people turn up the day of the tour about 9am. The tour was leaving about 11-12.

• 5 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

It depends on which tour you are on since NZ tours are modulated. All shorter tours are segments of the full NZ Explorer tour so if you are not on the Explorer tour, you will be picked up along the way. Kinda like a hop-on hop-off tour. 2/5 to 3/5 the group (give or take) will be Explorer participants.

Auckland departures (in either direction) leaves just after lunch I believe, so in that case, some people opt to stay at the one of the many hostels close by since there is no morning rush.

- Vic

• 5 Jun 2008 Americangirl123 said

Default_avatar

I am going on the Scenic Southern Tour. It leaves at 8am. I already have a reservation at a different hotel in Christchurch which can be cancelled if I need to. I don’t want to miss out on meeting people but I don’t want to cancel my other reservation if it’s not going to be a good deal of the trip staying at the other hotel, since the one I am supposed to be staying at is much nicer. Also, is this particular tour a part of the NZ Exporer??

Thanks so much guys!

• 5 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Oh … in that case, it does not matter if you are on the forward or reverse tour, the coach leaves early in the morning.

If you are on the clockwise tour, you will be starting your tour at the same time with Explorer and Adventurer participants.

However, if you are on the counterclockwise tour, you will be joining the Explorer & Adventurer participants who have already finished the Norh Island part of their tour.

The night before the tour starts, I STRONGLY suggest you stay at the Contiki Hotel (Bealey’s) because of the early morning departure and you get to chill w/ your tourmates that evening.

If you are in Christchurch for more than 1 night pre/post tour, I would highly recommend the Hotel So in downtown Christchurch, just 1 block away from the main square. Very hip and new age, and just completed in late 2007. It was a lap of luxury … 4 large iMacs with free internet (crappy little computer w/$$ and SLOW connection at Bealey’s), 2 for 1 happy hour, wide screen LCD TV, gym, sauna, etc … for only $89. And you can also borrow a bike for free and scoot around town. See guestbook comments.

- Vic

• 3 Feb 2009 Binpaz said

Default_avatar

I’m starting in Auckland on the Grand Explorer and staying at the Mercure hotel………………..is that the pretour place or do i have to go to another place for the pretour meeting?

• 3 Feb 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Mercure Hotel is the departure point for tours starting in Auckland.

- Vic

• 12 Feb 2009 Jerilou said

Jerilou

Since the Grand Explorer doesn’t leave from the Mercure until noon, I’m flying into Auckland that morning. Can I go straight to the hotel and leave my bag there while I go find some breakfast and maybe an internet cafe? My flight gets in at ~5:30AM and I’d rather not have to lug my bag with me, or be stuck sitting in the hotel lobby for 6 hours.

• 12 Feb 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Yes Jeri, you can do that.

- Vic

• 7 Mar 2009 Lisa said

Lisa

My Boyfriend and I are staying at Hotel so the night b4 our tour…. what time does the clockwise tour leave? Is it going to be a problem

• 7 Mar 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

The tours departing from Christchurch leave early in the morning. There will be no problem getting to the Beasley from the So. Call for an early taxi and have breakfast with your tourmates at the Beasleys.

- Vic

• 7 Mar 2009 aussie liz said

Default_avatar

Im confused about the clockwise/anticlockwise thing. How do we know in the brochures what code is clock and whats anti-clockwise???

Also, say I do the scenic southern and want to start with the group doing the longer tour, do we all go on a bigger bus

Coz like how do you fit those who are say joining a tour thats already being done with the new pple?

Also which way would be better for seeing NZ, doing the scenic southern

• 8 Mar 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by aussie liz:
    Im confused about the clockwise/anticlockwise thing. How do we know in the brochures what code is clock and whats anti-clockwise???

Also, say I do the scenic southern and want to start with the group doing the longer tour, do we all go on a bigger bus

Same full size tour coach … there will be people doing the long tour and other doing shorter tours … hopping on and off. Perhaps 2/3 on the long tour comprising the Adventurer and the Explorer. The other 1/3 will be Scenic Southern or Northern Highlights … depending on the island

Coz like how do you fit those who are say joining a tour thats already being done with the new pple?

Also which way would be better for seeing NZ, doing the scenic southern

Do the clockwise tour for Scenic Southern – everyone will be starting their tours on the bus (including Reverse Explorer/Adventurer participants).

The anti-clockwise scenic southern and Reverse Northern highlights join the latter half of the long tour.

- Vic

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.