Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Midnight Arrival

4 Dec 2010 Trinhtrin said

Trinhtrin
Hey guys,

I just received my confirmation email from Contiki and it looks like I will be arriving at 12:05am in London. I am 21, traveling in early May and don't mind being by myself, but I can't check-in to my hotel until 2pm.

Where should I go? Where can I kip for a few hours? What is open besides clubs and bars that late/early?

~ Trinity
  • 4 Dec 2010 m0lly said

Default_avatar

Where are you flying from?? Id say after your flight/s you will be exhausted and will probably just want to sleep :P I’d say the only thing to do around London at that time is bars/clubs etc and I know I wouldnt be wanting to do that sortof thing right after my flights :P

My suggestion would be to just book an extra night at the hotel and have a very late check-in (if you can).

I know I wouldnt want to be wandering round the streets at midnight in a city ive never been!

• 4 Dec 2010 Tpain89 said

Tpain89

hi
    Depeneds where u r staying but if it has a 24hr check-in you can book to stay that night and check in then

• 5 Dec 2010 Trinhtrin said

Trinhtrin

m0lly: I am flying in from Los Angeles. It’s about a twelve hour flight. I will have slept on the plane and be wide awake with the time difference (-8hrs). You are right though, I don’t want to be wandering around in a foreign country that late at night.

Does Heathrow have any shops worth killing time in? I can spend hours in a bookshop just reading.

• 5 Dec 2010 Explorer1200016 said

Default_avatar

If you don’t want to book a late arrival hotel, best (and safest) bet would be to just hang around the airport. Bring some books, ipod, movies to keep yourself entertained till 6-7am. Then make your way to the hotel. If they don’t have a room available for you at that time (sometimes they do), they should be able to hold your bags so you can wander around luggage-free till your room is available.

• 5 Dec 2010 m0lly said

Default_avatar

ah 12 hours isnt so bad then, especially if you do manage to sleep on the plane. Those of us that are coming in from Australia and NZ have a slightly longer haul – im gonna be flying at least 32 hours :P

If you are staying at Royal National I hear they are pretty strict about the 2pm check-in as its a very busy hotel.. I think Explorer has the right idea Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> Find a bookshop at the airport then head in later to do some daytime exploring while you wait for check-in.
    The British Museum is close to the hotel and is free entry .. if you are into that sort of thing you could probably spend a fair bit of time there without even spending any $$$ Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 Dec 2010 Trinhtrin said

Trinhtrin

Explorer: Thanks for the advice. I don’t yet know which hotel I am staying in upon arrival but I will keep in mind to check for an open room or baggage holding. Also, I hope the chairs at Heathrow are comfortable; seven hours is a lot of time to waste. I plan to bring my leather-bound The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide book (All 5 stories + a short) and my MP3 player. That should be enough, right?

m0lly: As I said above, I am not sure which hotel I will be in yet, but I will definitely keep in mind that the RN has a strict check-in policy. Museums are not really my cuppa tea but I will add it to the list. Thanks.

• 6 Dec 2010 Wez said

Wez

I would say you only have 2 options, firstly the significantly more expensive one, you could book a nights accommodation for when you arrive and check straight into your hotel in the early hours of the morning as clubs aside there will be nothing happening at 1am and you will probably be tired.
    The other problem with this option is that you will miss the last underground tube so you will probably have to take a shuttle or taxes to your hotel which will prove very expensive!

Otherwise, like someone mentioned above, maybe just find a comfy area in the main airport and try sleep for a few hours then catch the first Underground at 6am, get to your hotel, have a Redbull, lock up your suitcase in the storage facility at the hotel then go see London town until 2pm. I would go with this option personally.

• 6 Dec 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

You can get ‘early check in’ at any hotel, you basically pay for the night before you arrive and then you can go straight to the hotel from the airport

• 14 Dec 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I would see if you can find something cheap (but decent) near the airport. Then you can get a couple hours of sleep and be rested for the following day of sightseeing. If you’re up all night killing time because you don’t want to pay for a hotel then you’ll probably be totally screwed up with jetlag.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion