Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Canyon

28 Aug 2008 TarafromNS said

TarafromNS
I am traveling on the Wild Western in October and was debating several of the helicopter tours into the Grand Canyon - finally I decided to go for broke and do the biggie-all day tour....only to find out that due to the recent flooding in the Canyon, that the main attraction at the bottom is closed for the rest of the year (I am assuming this is where we land)...I have attached a link to the story for those who were also planning on going into the Canyon.

Grand Canyon Attraction Closed
  • 28 Aug 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

tara there was some horrible flooding and the residents were evacuated. Only this last week are they able to get back home. They will NOT be opening up the area for another 4 weeks if not longer. There are a few alternatives which are more costly and take up the entire day. I am assuming you are planing on getting a helicopter tour from LV which only goes to the West rim. There are small air tours that you can take that go to the south rim or you can take a bus which is a 5 hr drive.

That story ONLY applies to the WEST rim not the south rim. The West rim is not in the Grand Canyon National park, the South rim is. Make sure you know what area you are planning this flight from and visiting. There is a huge difference Drop me a line if you have more questions. The Grand Canyon National Park itself IS open at the South Rim. Flooding only happened at Supai where the West rim and the Sky walk is.. Luckily no one was killed.

Please referr to the National Park Service for correct information.

• 28 Aug 2008 TinkaElle said

Default_avatar

Hey Matty, just wanted to clarify. Does that mean all three helicopter options will be unavaliable or just the all day option? Your advice on this is much appreciated – thanks

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion