Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Reefs and Rainforests

13 Jul 2007 Corina07 said

Default_avatar
I wanted to do the Aussie Explorer, but can't afford it right now. I am thinking of taking the Reefs and Rainforests one in January. What is the weather like around then? Super hot or what? Also, any suggestions on other tours that I might like better? Thanks!
  • 13 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Hey Corina,
    I recommend going on the Beaches & Reefs tour. I went on it in 2002 and had a great time. You get to see the Great Barrier Reef, spend 3 days in the Whitsundays either on a yacht or staying on the island which i did, go to Queensland, the Gold Coast & Sydney.
    The excursions were a lot of fun. You get to go to a crocodile farm, skydive, surf and much more.
    Feel free to ask me anything about that tour.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

Southern Ireland ‘97
    Grand Explorer ’00
    Rainbow Nation ’01 (no longer offered by Contiki)
    Beaches & Reefs ’02-’03

• 13 Jul 2007 Corina07 said

Default_avatar

Thanks Brian,

I am still trying to wrap my head around some ideas. I am trying to figure out where I want to go and I am still not sure. How was your Ireland trip? I don’t want to go there in the winter, but I will one day since I apparently have family there. If you have any other ideas give me a shout. My email address is skiddles_14@hotmail.com . Thanks again!

Corina

• 16 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

The ireland trip was great though as the shortest of the tours I’ve gone on, it felt like i wasn’t even there, it went that fast.
    I really liked Dublin. Went to the Guiness factory there, saw the Book of Kells and thertes lots of shopping. Galway was another city I really enjoyed. only there one night but it was a place worth going back.

Any more advice, just ask.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

Southern Ireland ‘97
    Grand Explorer ’00
    Rainbow Nation ’01 (no longer offered by Contiki)
    Beaches & Reefs ’02-’03

• 17 Jul 2007 Asher said

Asher

I’m kinda in the same boat, I wanted to do the Explorer, but I’m thinking about the reefs and rainforests instead, how big a deal is it to miss ayers rock? Is it just a big rock, someone told me that if your niot a fan of rock climbing in the heat, not to go. I would love to see the rainforest and I want to do the learn to dive as well but I don’t want people to be like “oh my god, how could you go all the way to Australia and miss out on that” You know? Any ideas? I’m torn.
    Asher

• 17 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

I say if you have the money and the time, you may as well see everything the country has to offer. You figure it may be the only chance you’ll get to go there, so why chance not doing something you may regret.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

• 17 Jul 2007 Asher said

Asher

well that would be best but I do have to choose and either way I’ll miss something. if I do the reefs and rainforents I’ll miss ayers rock, but if I do the exporer I’ll miss the learn to dive and the rainforests, if only I could win a lotto! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Jul 2007 beckyboo said

Default_avatar

hi asher and corina

i would definitely do the reefs and rainforests tour. i used to live in many of the places you do on the tour. cairns, townsville, brisbane and grafton (near coffs harbour) and now sydney and trust me they are beautiful places. ive been to ayres rock and asher you cant actually walk over it as it is a sacred aboriginal site. some people do and they say it can be bad luck. there has been cases of people dying three days later as they werent fit enough. the weather in jan is hot but great. it depends what ur used to. townsville is very dry where as the heat in cairns is more wet due to the rainforests. the great barrier reef is one of the most amazing things ive ever seen the colours of the coral and the fish are amazing.

im prob being biased but the east coast is so beautiful i went to europe christmas 06 and will be goin to america this sept but nothing compares to aus. ayres rock and the northern territory are so different and unique with their rock formations but if you come at our summer time you will die. its normally around 40 degrees and so uncomfortable.

hope this helped if you have any questions feel free to ask.

bec

• 23 Jul 2007 Kanoodle_24 said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys!! I am doing B&R Nov 4th, sydney to Cairns and I CAN’T WAIT!!! I was going to do the contrast reef and rock, but I thought B&R looked like more fun and could save alot of money. I think that if I really want to go to Alice and Uluru, that I could probably buy a ticket when I’m there for cheap or travel with the friends I meet on my tour… from what I gather you just never know! So keep that in mind when you think your gonna miss out on something… plus you might gain alot! Asher, where ya from in Alberta? I’m from northern B.C…. have you booked anything yet? Have you looked into B&R? It looks comparable to R&R….

• 31 Jul 2007 Kelly said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,

I think you should check out the reefs and rainforest tour. January in Australia is very hot, and towards central Aust (Ayres Rock) it can get up to 48 degree’s C. In cairns it will also be very hot and humid (you will feel like you are melting) but at least you will be able to check out the beautiful beaches!! As a local, i know i would be too keen to be in the Northern Territory in January!!!

Goodluck!

• 8 Aug 2007 louby said

Default_avatar

hi guys im doing northern territory end of sept them cairns 2 sydney mid oct-nov anyone know what the weather will b like???thanks

• 22 Aug 2007 Asher said

Asher

Hi Kanoodle,
    I’m from central Alberta, close to Edmonton. I looked at the B&R, but I think I want the extra time in the rainforest. My sister and I are going to world youth day in mid July, so our time is set to July- Aug. When are you going?

• 25 Aug 2007 kim_d said

kim_d

Hi Asher,
    I’m also going to WYD next summer and have already booked my Reefs & Rainforests tour —July 21-Aug 9 (Cairns – Sydney)!! I’ll be going it alone for both WYD and the tour. I’m excited but a lil nervous too! When do you plan on going on ur Contiki? Are u going with a group for WYD? Talk to u soon.
    -Kim (from NYC)

• 26 Aug 2007 said

Default_avatar

Hi Asher

I just came back from the Reefs and Rainforest tour 2 weeks ago. I’m gonna say I do regret doing the outback, as being stuck in the rainforest for 2 days was quite boring and there was nothing to do. Just thought I’d give you a hint on what it’s like

Trina

• 23 Sep 2007 rugbymike said

Default_avatar

hey im doing this tour on december 3rd anyone else here doing the same dates, im from the good ol’ west coast and looking for ppl to possibly tour about with after the tour is completed for a few days or before. im arriving in sydney on the 20th of november and got lots of time between. im starting it off in sydney.

lemmie know

• 28 Sep 2007 gracesc said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I did the reefs & rainforests tour in Feb ‘06, starting in cairns and had an amazing time. I would suggest that you do the reefs tour as it’s two extra days witha small group..ours was 10 people. It’s a good way to get to know some of your tour mates before you hook up with the beaches & reefs tour, which put our group @ about 45. There’s a “jungle surfing” optional excursion & the ones who went had a blast. Unless you know someone in Australia to hang with, R&R gives you 2 extra days of not having to worry about hotel, food, etc! If anyone has any questions, be happy to help!

• 9 Oct 2007 Asher said

Asher

Hey Kim, thats pertty cool, thats probably the tour my sis and I will do, I won’t be with a group for WYD, but my sis is going to a bible collage right now, so she will be with a group and I’ll tag along with them. I’m really exited too! Its cool that we’re doing like the same thing eh? MAybe we’ll meet there Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Asher

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.