Community_discussions_small  

Question

Has anyone flown QANTAS international?

4 Jun 2007 Kirsten :) asked

Default_avatar
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone has flown QANTAS international before, or is going to be?
My flights are booked with QANTAS because of the contiki discount thing, but it was recently rated one of the worst Airlines to fly with for International?
Any feedback you could give would be great. Smiler

Thanks
Kirsten

• 4 Jun 2007 peninsulagirl said

Default_avatar

I have flown Qantas, be it 3 years ago to London. I had no issue with the service or the aircraft.

Just make sure you get a good seat, i was stuck in the middle of 2 other people and could really sleep during the flight.

• 4 Jun 2007 Berekah said

Default_avatar

Qantas International one of the worst airlines?! Doubtful! I’ve flown qantas international many times and never had any problems. Qantas staff are very polite, food is good, and they are easy to fly. Look any airline that you fly economy in isn’t that great beacause they are all alittle cramped, but u could do FAR FAR worse than qantas. I flew Anatalia (Italian Airlines) once and never ever again will i want to fly with them. The food was ****, the staff were alright but the passengers were quite rude and disrespectful (talking loudly, banging your set on the way to the toilet, not to mention clapping the captain when they land, that was just weird!:S), the planes were old and yuck and entertainment wasn’t even worth watching. I’m flying Qantas again when i’m going over, i leave in two weeks. Trust me qantas is fine. And hey, look on the bright side they speak english!!!

• 4 Jun 2007 Kirsten :) said

Default_avatar

Thanks… I was pretty sure they would be good… I have clients that are Air Hostess’s for QANTAS international flights and they are great people. Always friendly etc.

One of them was telling me how many times i’ll be fed… and its heaps… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I have flown QANTAS domestic before and the food was good, and i’ve never had any problems…

I dont know where they get the results from their polls from… cause It was all over the news etc… that QANTAS rated one of the worst DOMESTIC and INTERNATIONAL airlines…. ? followed closely by their cheaper airline Jetstar…

Who knows what to believe on the news anyway!
    !!??

• 4 Jun 2007 hoobastankel said

Default_avatar

Im flyin from Adel-Syd-La in october with Qantas, but Im hoping that the board of directors have taken the criticism of being the worst airline on board and will make our experiences exceptional because they will be wanting to please their customers!!
    Well thats what Im hoping for anyway.

Default_avatar

Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I was definitely thinking, that any critism from the public about QANTAS should spark some revelation of improvement in service…

although most people didnt think there really was a prob in the first place?

It would be interesting to see who completes the polls, and whether its just one person’s experience taken on board, or whether it is a number of peoples opinions.

Maybe someone just caught them on a bad day??

I leave on August 29th, from Brisbane to Sydney to Singapore to London. Returning start of October.

Fingers crossed this will turn them from being supposedly “Worst” airline to one of the “better” ones… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jun 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I flew with Quantas from LA to Sydney and back in 05 and wouldn’t choose to do so if I didn’t have to. Not through contiki though was my own trip. Our entire row(the left, middle,and right side of the plane) was skipped on meals and when we rang the attendants back all the good stuff was gone. Or cold. They offered no appology just excuses. They said that the other group of attendants was incharge of our aisle. I wrote several letters to Quantas but never heard from them.

The seats were filty so bring a cover. The over head ben above wouldn’t stay shut and one of the bags fell and hit my head again no appology. Their solution was duck tape go figure. We used them for several domestic flights as part of that quantas pass and domestic was great.

I could forgive on one strech but to get it going to and coming back from Australia for 14 1/2 hrs each way was just a bit much. Oh and getting a beverage well ask for 2 each order.

But this is just me and my parents and my sister. go figure. But loved australia never the less.

• 4 Jun 2007 Matt said

Default_avatar

The poll used to vote Qantas as one of the worst airlines was in Choice magazine so I think it is hardly reliable. Qantas is much better than a lot of other airlines.
    This article was in the paper the other day and stated that in another poll recorded by some airline commission Qantas was one of the best rated – believe what you will, the best way to find out is to fly with them and if they’re not good don’t fly with them again.

Default_avatar

I completely agree… I am going in open minded… There are alot of airlines out there and alot of people experience different things depending on the flight and the day… Just like anything really…

I was originally wanting to fly JAL (Japanese Airlines) because i wanted to fly through japan, but it was slightly more expensive, and you stayed overnight at the airport. Mum and Dad flew with them a number of years ago now and were really happy with the service.

• 5 Jun 2007 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hey Kirsten

Hopefully you will have a good flight with them. I’m sure not every airline is perfect anyway.
    Unfortunately I didn’t have a great experience with them a few years ago coming back from America.
    My flight got cancelled and myself and about 15 other people turned up at the airport unaware and were waiting to check in and it still even said our flight was going. However after the departure time had lapsed and we’d even requested someone from Qantas come and speak to us noone turned up until half an hour after our flight was supposed to have left. They finally then told us our flight had been cancelled and we couldn’t get another one for 12 hours.

To me that’s really bad service they should have at least come and spoken to all the people waiting to check in and not had it up on the board at check in that it was still departing.

The flight itself was perfectly fine. Good food, good entertainment and nice service it was just the hassle and bad service that left 15 people waiting to check in that I felt wasn’t great.

Don’t feel to bad about it though I’m sure at some point this happens to every airline.
    Good luck

• 5 Jun 2007 Berekah said

Default_avatar

I have also flown JAL, they are good too… Great service.. Its funny at the start of your flight instead of showing u some crap advertising video u actually get to see ur plane take off, from the pilots perspective.. They have a camera at the front of the plane.. (this was a few years ago though) I’m doing both this time round.. i’m doing have Qantas and half with JAL.. but yea the stop over in japan sucks.. at least i have friend over there

• 5 Jun 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

Qantas was great for me from Sydney-LA and return last year. You’ll never be hungry cause they will feed you all the time, if I remember correctly I think we even got and ice-cream! I would try and get an isle seat – more leg room and you can get up and go to the toilet whenever you like (but having said that, you’ll have to move out of the way for the other people beside you!). Entertainment wise – well I guess it just depends on the plane. Some will have the screens in the back of the chair that you can watch what ever you want and when, where as other planes will have the screens but only have programs runnings at certain times.

• 6 Jun 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

They’re great – you won’t have a problem.

Check out www.airlinequality.com for more info.

• 7 Jun 2007 Kirsten :) said

Default_avatar

Its great to see that pretty much everyone has had good experiences…

I was speaking to someone about flights yesterday, and they said it never hurts to ask when you check in to see if they will upgrade you’re seat, if there is a spare in first class?? Anyone else had good luck in that situation?

I think i would be way too embarassed to ask… lol. Has anyone done that before?

• 7 Jun 2007 Richard_S said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Matt:
    The poll used to vote Qantas as one of the worst airlines was in Choice magazine so I think it is hardly reliable.

Totally agree. Choice Magazine……

I’ve flown with QANTAS many a time and have enjoyed myself each time, my last flight the plane was slightly dated (was 1 year ago) but my brother just traveled with them and he can’t fault the service. I think generally the major international airlines, QANTAS, Emirates, Singapore, Malaysian, Thai, are all very good.

Except British Airways……

Worst. Carrier. EVER!

• 8 Jun 2007 Gryphon said

Default_avatar

I’ve travelled on Qantas to Australia multiple times as well as to London, and it’s been good experiences each time, with good service, good entertainment and a comfortable flight. Good airline with reasonable rates.

• 16 Jun 2007 JC05 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kirsten Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->:
    Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone has flown QANTAS international before, or is going to be?
    My flights are booked with QANTAS because of the contiki discount thing, but it was recently rated one of the worst Airlines to fly with for International?
    Any feedback you could give would be great. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Thanks
    Kirsten

Hey Kirsten

I have flown QANTAS international a few times when i was a bit younger with mum and dad, we never had problems and when we did, we were always kept in the loop, the staff are very helpful. I have flown domestically a fair bit and never had problems. I got messed around only last week actually and was kept informed about boarding times etc, and with all the ****ty passengers, the air hostesses still cracked a smile which was good. As for that choice magazine crap, forget it, its choice magazine (explains alot. and it was on sunrise, explains even more!) I wouldnt worry about it too much.

as for asking for an upgrade, i guess it wouldnt hurt asking, Im gonna try :P

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Jun 2007 Sally said

Default_avatar

Yikes!!! U say BA worst carrier ever? Why? I fly out of Brisbane for London on the 04.09.2007. I had a friend say the same thing but didn’t think much of it, what happened? Sal Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion