Community_discussions_small  

Question

Catacombs?

14 Jun 2008 Sarah24 asked

Default_avatar
I was wondering which catacombs are better to see, the ones in Rome or Paris?
Has anyone been to either or both of these?
  • 15 Jun 2008 Mattchew said

Mattchew

Hey Matty,

Are You allowed to take photos in The catacombs in paris?

I know some places in Europe dont allow photos, or the slug you to take photos.

Thanx

Matt.

• 15 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

They let you take pictures but without flash. They have guys down there yelling at people. The funny thing is that they get up to go over to the person to yell at them, or to give people information so you could totally sneak a few photos when theyre not looking

• 15 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

I am going to offer a different view…

I personally found the Catacombs in Paris to be really creepy and did not enjoy them at all. Granted 1)I went alone which I do not recommend. 2)I thought I’d be on a tour, considering it was called “Tours of the Catacombs”. Nope, just me alone in the dark with the bones and the drip drip drip of water on the walls. 3)Halfway thru I run into my first person, who’s a security guard. We start chatting, and then he’s trying to hold my hand and ask me out. Now I’m even more freaked out and take off in a near sprint to the exit, which spits you out into some back alley in the middle of nowhere.

My pal laughed at me that it only took me 20 minutes to make my way thru the nearly 2 kms of pathways.
    Granted I did get some cool pics, one with the image of a skull where there wasn’t one. But on the whole, I wish I’d spent my time elsewhere, like the Sewer tours. That looked cool.

• 15 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by mattyvcontiki:
    Yes, on the UE you have loads of time in Paris – 2 full free days – ... (you don’t have to go to Versailles with the tour if you don’t want to).

Noooo! Ahh, I MUST see the palace of Versailles, plus it’s gardens! bwahaha.. I also want to see the Moulin Rouge! I guess I could fit that in, instead of the Nouvelle eve show!
  • 17 Jun 2008 jess said

jess

I’m very interested in checking out the catacombs while I’m in Paris…
    Question-> Do you have to pay? If so how much?

Thanks!

• 17 Jun 2008 jess said

jess

So…Is it free?

• 17 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cyphus:
    My friends and I will be going, and will probably be busy trying to terrify each other.. lol.

Easily done, lol. I know I woulda been a lot less scared had I not been alone, so yes, I’m just very jaded about the experience.
    Go and have some creepy fun!
  • 19 Aug 2008 Explorer1110451 said

Default_avatar

For the price :7 €
    up 60 years old: 5,50 €
    youth 14 ans till 26 ans : 3,50 €
    free under 14

by the way if you want to have a look on the offical catacombs and the non visitable part
    a french web site : catacombes de paris

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.