Community_discussions_small  

Comment

September 19 2008 Trip

14 Apr 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar
Hi, my name is Kevin from Boston, MA.

JUST booked my European Discovery trip over the weekend for Sept 19th 2008 to Oct 3rd 2008. I didnt see any other topics open for this trip.

Who else is going?? It's my first trip to Europe so I can't wait!!!! Especially Octoberfest and to see Italy.

I just wanted to see if I could find some travel/party/drinkin buddies before the trip starts off. Cool
  • 15 Apr 2008 tristar16 said

tristar16

Yay! Finally someone else that’s going Sept 19th. I’m 23 and from Ontario, Canada and I’m going on my own, first trip to Europe. I’m really keen for Oktoberfest and Italy too!

• 16 Apr 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

Good to meet you Tristar! How is Ontario?

I’ve been to Canada before, but it was in Montreal. I still had a blast though.

I just noticed another group that was open for Sept 19th too! Looks like we’ll have a good crowd going with us. A lot of them seem to be going solo too.

• 16 Apr 2008 tristar16 said

tristar16

Ontario is great. Went to Montreal last fall…it is a beautiful city with great night life! Yeah it looks like we will have a good crowd, although there are some from that group that are going on tour departing Sept. 14th. Are you extending you stay at all? I still have to book my flight so I’m debating whether to take the transfer back to London and stay an extra day.

• 16 Apr 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

I was told by a friend that it is usually much cheaper to fly from London instead of Paris so I am going to do the extra day and stay in London. What’s an extra day vacation, right??

I booked my airfare, it wasnt that bad of a price, but it was nonstop which is what I care the most about. I think I am only paying like $60 more or so to stay the extra night so I’d suggest it if you can pull it off.

I’m not big on flying very much….. I’ve only done it a few times, and never gone on a plane by myself, let alone to another country haha.. so this should be interesting to say the least.

I have a few friends from here that are living in London currently and should be there when we are so I am going to see if I can meet up with them while in London as well.

• 17 Apr 2008 tristar16 said

tristar16

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely take that into consideration.

And don’t feel so bad about the plane thing, this will actually be my first flight, so it will definitely be an experience for me. I’m really looking foward to the trip though!

• 23 Apr 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

Yes me too! I have to start planning out and saving some $$.

The excursions look pretty cool too. I am definitely doing the White Water Rafting in Austria. I’ve rafted a few times up in Maine and I had a blast. Its such a rush.

• 2 May 2008 EllieA said

Default_avatar

I’m seriously considering this specific trip… i don’t really drink much, but should still be fun to take part in the Oktoberfest activities and whatnot… hey, even if i don’t drink, i can get all the embarrassing, fun pictures and videos instead, haha! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

how much did you guys expect to spend total, including land price, airfare, excursions, and extra spending money? I’m hoping I can keep it as close to 4000 US$ as possible, especially with some airfare sales probably goin on in a couple months crosses fingers

Kevendust, did you make a Facebook discussion post on the Contiki group too? just wondering… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

excited

• 6 May 2008 EllieA said

Default_avatar

did i kill this forum? Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

any people from the US?

• 7 May 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

Naw not at all, been too busy at work to even check this forum.

I did make a facebook entry on this too but havent check that for a while either haha.

I probably expect to spend about 4500 to 5000 total. They say a good average is expect to spend $100 (I’m hoping they mean USD) a day, so 14 days will be $1400. You never know you may spend $20 one day and $200 the next so that is just the average.

My plane ticket was about a grand.

Where in the US are you from Ellie?

• 7 May 2008 EllieA said

Default_avatar

Yeah. I figured people are probably busy with final exams for school recently and whatnot.

I think I read $100/day is a good assumption and you’d probably go home with extra money, but I definitely don’t want to spend that much. I’m on a very tight budget since my parents are essentially only paying up to $4000 total and then I can’t really work much over the summer. I have to be stingy and hope I can sell more of my textbooks.

Definitely not buying airfare soon though cause I think the prices are way too expensive. The cheapest I can find right now is $800-900 with taxes/fees. Crazy! My mom says there should be sales when it gets closer to the date.

I’m from northern Virginia… graduating from Virginia Tech in a couple days and taking some summer classes to finish everything up.

Aiming for September Discovery trip (was lookin into Highlights but my parents think the Budget accomodations are kinda sketchy…though, i know the hotels dont even have AC sometimes but whatever.) I don’t drink, but I definitely think it’d be fun to see Oktoberfest, especially after seeing it’s like a theme park from YouTube videos. Fun! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

(fyi: i have issues writing briefly. beware! lol)

quote:
    Originally posted by Kevendust:
    Naw not at all, been too busy at work to even check this forum.

I did make a facebook entry on this too but havent check that for a while either haha.

I probably expect to spend about 4500 to 5000 total. They say a good average is expect to spend $100 (I’m hoping they mean USD) a day, so 14 days will be $1400. You never know you may spend $20 one day and $200 the next so that is just the average.

My plane ticket was about a grand.

Where in the US are you from Ellie?

• 7 May 2008 EllieA said

Default_avatar

(I was also considering going next week, and the prices were about $600 total, so there’s GOTTA be something cheap that’ll come for September. crosses fingers)

• 29 Jul 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

Less than 2 months away!! I can’t wait!! I’ve been reading a lot of info on this site and a few trip logs and it just seems amazing!

I need to find a good day backpack. I have been looking at Swiss and High Sierra backpacks. Any suggestions?

Anyone else on this trip?

• 3 Aug 2008 Toronto gal said

Default_avatar

Hey

is this the trip that departs london sept 21st? If it is, I did a posting for it a while back..so excited!!

• 4 Aug 2008 chanquad said

chanquad

Hey im 19, female and from western australia. i will be doing the european whirl tour finishing september 28th. i will be in europe until about the 20ish of november on my own before i head over to america and was wondering if anyone else will be in london from about the 29th september that wants to meet up.

myspace.com/frantelle

• 4 Aug 2008 tristar16 said

tristar16

Wow less than 2 months away…is anyone starting to think about what they are going to pack? I’m horrible for overpacking, and I think I’m going to need to buy some new luggage, anyone have any recommendations?

• 5 Aug 2008 Mariet said

Mariet

hi

I see you guys saying this trip departs 19 September 2008? I don’t see this date on the website under european discovery. my tour departs 18 September, wondered if this is the same tour?

Tristar, get a suitcase with wheels!!!! I bought myself one bout two weeks ago.

• 5 Aug 2008 Kevendust said

Default_avatar

I know I can’t wait either!!!!!!! Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

I am having some packing difficulties myself, but I have been reading a few good articles on this forum. One is stating that you should think about packing light and buying a few t-shirts on the trip – maybe even bringing along some clothes that you never wear anymore and wouldnt realy mind leaving behind. Just an idea.

The more space you leave in the beginning, the more space you will have to bring back souvenirs with. I think it is a good idea if you dont mind spending the $$. I know I am going to limit myself to souvenirs, but I know a few t shirts were probably in the mix, so why not plan on wearing them too while I’m there, ya know?

Default_avatar

Mariet -

On the website, it says the Start date is Sept 19th. I think that is really a travel day, so it may actually START on the 20th? I’m not sure how it works, but the website for me says the “start” is the 19th and the “end” is Oct 2nd (3rd for me since I am going back to London)

That is how I understand it, does this make sense? (I actually do not see a Sept 18th date on the site, maybe yours is really the 17th?)

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Toronto gal:
    Hey

is this the trip that departs london sept 21st? If it is, I did a posting for it a while back..so excited!!

Hi Toronto gal, I THINK we might be on the same trip, I think the 19th is a travel day to get to Europe, then the 20th is Arriving in London, then the 21st would be leaving London to Amsterdam. I think this is how I understand it.

• 6 Aug 2008 Mariet said

Mariet

hi

from South Africa.When I go to that link it shows 18 September. I also have a person from NZ also on the 18 September trip. perhaps your right, and their is different dates for us

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.