Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Northern April 30th 2010

22 Sep 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
Hey guys Wink

Just wondering if there is anyone else planning on doing this tour?
I know there's already a few people going.... are there any others out there?
Should be an awesome tour!

Maybe we can use this thread to count down the days till we go away?!!

Anyway, hope to hear from some people! Big Grin Smiler
  • 27 Sep 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

Hiya Todd.
    I’m not on the Grand Northern, but I am doing the North by North East tour departing the same day. Do they combine the tour groups?

I’m all for the countdown! 208 days till I fly out. How do we make time pass quicker?

Natalie

• 29 Sep 2009 Jess said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys,

I’m booked on the Grand Northern, April 30-May 24! I plan to have a few days in New York pre-tour to do some sight seeing and shopping in 5th Ave!! I did Canada & Rockies inc, stampede last year which was fantastic and can’t wait for this tour.
    Jess Razzer

• 30 Sep 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

So what are everyone’s plans for after the tour? After I leave you guys in Chicago, I’m spending some time there with a friend before flying to LA for the LA to the Bay tour starting 19th May. I’ll have a couple of days in San Francisco before flying home again.

Where are you from, Jess?

• 30 Sep 2009 Jess said

Default_avatar

Hey Todd & Natalie,

3 days pre-tour is a good amount, NY accom is quite pricey so 3 nights will at least give 2 full days to have a look around.

Will probably be coming straight home after the tour – there’s not alot I want to see in LA plus I don’t think I could stretch my 5 weeks off work out to much more :-).

Natalie, I’m an Aussie from country Victoria. How about yourself?

• 1 Oct 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

Natalie, after the Grand Northern I’ll be spending 2 days in LA and then doing the Grand Southern departing 27 May (I know most people do it the other way around, but this way I get more time to see NYC). After the GS, I’ll spend a couple more days in NYC, to make sure I’ve seen EVERYTHING that I wanna see, and then I’ll be spending some time with my cousins in Indiana. LOL it’s quite a massive trip I’m planning, so I’m sure to be wrecked after it!

• 4 Oct 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

Oh my! That is some trip. You’re going to be absolutely shattered after that. Makes me look a little * for scheduling my break in Chicago to recove from my first tour.

Jess, I’m a West-Aussie. From the sounds of things there are a lot of Aussie’s on the USA contikis.

I know what you mean about stretching the annual leave bank. I’ve stretched mine to 5.5 weeks. I tend to stockpile my leave and management have started to give me a hard time about it, so I responded by booking nearly 7 weeks leave within 6 months

• 7 Oct 2009 David said

Default_avatar

Yes I’ll be doing this tour as well, the Grand Northern leaving April 30.

I’ll be doing a week in New York beforehand (got a great deal on a Hilton Garden inn hotel for like $160aud a night in Chelsea), and then a couple nights in LA before going back to New York to fly back home (I managed to get a return flight to NYC from Perth for under $1400 score)

I’ve been to New York before, even spent a week there and still didnt get to see as much as I wanted to see, so much to do, so little time to do it in.

• 7 Oct 2009 Sarah84 said

Default_avatar

Hey David,
    We are flying out of Perth too… where did you get such a cheap flight from? I haven’t seen anything that low yet!

• 8 Oct 2009 David said

Default_avatar

I booked through expedia, qantas/continental airlines combo through Tokyo, though the flights only operate on certain days (I booked a departure on friday and return on friday as well)

Of course the catch is after the tour you’d have to make your way back to New York from LA, I’m planning on waiting till about a month or so before the tour starts before booking that one since the domestic US flights seem to be cheaper the closer in to the date.

*Edit, yeah try a booking with departure or arrival dates of any combo of Tue/Fri/Sun to get the cheap fares to NYC return

• 10 Oct 2009 David said

Default_avatar

Yeah I’m doing the leave on a Friday so I can spend 6 days in NYC to look around the place some more, though now I kinda wish I could change my airfare to leave from Houston instead of New York (since its the same low price to leave from Houston)

Anyhow can’t wait, another what 6 and a half months to go

• 16 Oct 2009 Katy said

Default_avatar

Hey! I’m thinking of joining this tour although like everyone else here I want to spend some time in New York prior to the tour, are most people doing the New York contiki tour or just making their own way for the first few days? I’m would be travelling alone and the thought of being in New York on my own scares me a little bit! Any help would be appreciated!

• 16 Oct 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

I arrive in NY on the 25th April, so I’ve got a spare day before I jump on the New York Explorer. I’m travelling on my own too, so wanted to be with a group most of my time there. I also worked out that the NY Explorer was going to work out cheaper with the Hotels and what not.

• 17 Oct 2009 Katy said

Default_avatar

Thank you for your help I guess it depends how brave I feel I am! Unfortunately I don’t think I can do this particular grand northern tour but whenever I go I think I would rather do the organised tour in New York first!

• 22 Oct 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG

Hi Guys,

I’m planning to do this tour on the 30th April! Better get myself booked if there is already a load of bookings.

• 23 Oct 2009 David said

Default_avatar

Well it is considered a definite departure already so perhaps there has already been enough demand already.

Now to hope the aussie dollar holds up, the last time I planned and went on a trip to the us it went from 95c to 60c from booking my trip to actually going on my trip,

• 23 Oct 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

I’m so excited about what they are predicting for the US$. I figure that I’m already up about A$500 from when I first started planning my trip. Imagine if it goes up to $1.10? That would put me up about $2000! eeeekkk! Really hope that it doesn’t drop again. After just having the head gasket fixed on my car, I could do with the extra dosh.

• 26 Oct 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG

If you want cheap airfares, Student flights are doing some cheap offers till 30th October around $1145 return to Los Angeles. Just need to find a flight to New York from there.

I think i will be sick of drinking after the amount i have on this holiday.

• 30 Oct 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG

Well I’m all booked up on the 30th April. Can’t wait! Is anyone staying at the contiki hotel in Manhattan?

• 31 Oct 2009 Natalie said

Natalie

I’m only booked at the Skyline the night before my tours start. The Hilton at Times square sounds much more like my style :0) I”ll look it up. Fingers crossed it suits my budget. Bit harder when its just me.

• 2 Nov 2009 David said

Default_avatar

Well I got 6 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn at Chelsea on 29th st.

I managed to snag a booking for $139US a night, though checking it now the cheapest rate now is over $300US a night.

Last time I was in New York I spent half of my time in Queens at the Pan American hotel taking the subway in everyday, and the other half at the Pod Hotel on 51st (I think?) street between 2nd and 3rd.

The one in Queens was cheap, and not too bad, Pod Hotel was also good too, but with closet sized rooms.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.