Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Northern April 30th 2010

22 Sep 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
Hey guys Wink

Just wondering if there is anyone else planning on doing this tour?
I know there's already a few people going.... are there any others out there?
Should be an awesome tour!

Maybe we can use this thread to count down the days till we go away?!!

Anyway, hope to hear from some people! Big Grin Smiler
  • 18 Nov 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

Finalising NYC accom. at the moment and have decided the Skyline’s out of the question for me. Can get accommodation at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square for $202US per night for a king-bed room, and the Skyline is $279 per night for the most basic room. The HGI is, according to google maps, a 7 minute walk from the Skyline so it’ll still be easy for me to go to the pre-departure meeting and meeting up the morning of the tour.

• 19 Nov 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG

I’m thinking for the price of hotels in New york, its far better to go on the NYE trip beforehand. Having to decide whether to do that or go get a hotel outside Manhattan like Brooklyn.

• 26 Nov 2009 David said

David

Yep I booked my flight through expedia, though for me it was by far the cheapest option since I couldn’t even get the flight combo I got through either qantas or continental airlines (I’m flying qantas to tokyo then continental to new york from there)

All up my flight from Perth cost me about $1400 or so, compared to the next cheapest been about $2200 or so, plus the $300 I paid for going from LA back to NY (since my flight is Per-NYC both ways)

• 28 Nov 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

Finally booked (and paid for) my flights the other day. All up Melbourne-LA return, plus a bunch of connecting flights within the States cost me $1933. If I had’ve booked them back when I initially met my travel agent, they would have only cost me $1600 (and that was just 2 months ago!). Still, not too bad I reckon – as I’m still “technically” at uni, I apparently got student flight prices.

• 2 Dec 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG
    quote:
    Originally posted by toddt85:
    Finally booked (and paid for) my flights the other day. All up Melbourne-LA return, plus a bunch of connecting flights within the States cost me $1933. If I had’ve booked them back when I initially met my travel agent, they would have only cost me $1600 (and that was just 2 months ago!). Still, not too bad I reckon – as I’m still “technically” at uni, I apparently got student flight prices.

Geez, that’s a heavy price for the airfare. I got my airfare for $1280 return to Brisbane. Could have even got it cheaper, but would have had to make too many stop overs on the way.
  • 2 Dec 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1154633:
    Geez, that’s a heavy price for the airfare. I got my airfare for $1280 return to Brisbane. Could have even got it cheaper, but would have had to make too many stop overs on the way.

So is that direct from Brisbane to LA (non-stop)? Also, does that price include any other flights within the US?
  • 3 Dec 2009 ChrisG said

ChrisG
    quote:
    quote:

So is that direct from Brisbane to LA (non-stop)? Also, does that price include any other flights within the US?

It travels from Brisbane to Sydney, then to LA, then a free connecting flight to New York. Then it travels direct from LA back to Brisbane. Its with V Australia.
  • 5 Dec 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

It travels from Brisbane to Sydney, then to LA, then a free connecting flight to New York. Then it travels direct from LA back to Brisbane. Its with V Australia.

Got a good deal there. My airfare includes connecting flights from LA to San Fran and back, a flight from LA to NY and then a flight from NY back to LA before I leave (so 4 connecting flights in total), so I’m pretty happy with the price.
  • 15 Dec 2009 M said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone! I’m booked (deposit anyway) on this trip. Really looking forward to meeting you all. I’ll be staying in NYC for a few days prior and doing some sightseeing. I’ll be doing the backpackers thing for accommodation though as this will be a small part of a big trip for me and I’ll need to save a bit where I can. Is anyone else planning to stay in a backpackers? Or do you know of a good one? Looking forward to our trip!

• 18 Dec 2009 David said

David

I’m only going to stay in LA for the 1 night we’re back, and then touring LA during the day before going back to New York on a red eye flight.

I figure I want to do more of the LA/West Coast on a separate holiday in the future.

• 26 Dec 2009 M said

Default_avatar

Hi Cruisey,
    Yeah I’m doing the full Grand Northern (NYC to LA) and plan to arrive in NY around the 25th – I’m still not completely set with my itinerary. Before our trip I plan to do Hawaii, LA and Taxas.
    Afterwards I’ll head off to the UK. But might stay around for a few days and explore further up the West coast.
    I looked at Hotelbookers but will definitely check out hostelworld – thanks.
    Ouch! up by $200! Good luck with it.
    Are you heading anywhere else on your travels?

Hey Jono,
    Where are you heading after the Contiki. I’m off to the UK. I’m taking 9 months (unless I run out of money sooner) to do a round the world. Who did you get your ticket with?

• 28 Dec 2009 Jono said

Jono

Hi Explorer1150764

After Contiki I’ll be in Hawaii for a week which is my last stop before heading home. Before my American tour I’ll be in disney world orlando for a week and peru (hiking to machu pichu) and a contiki tour right accross Europe before that. I booked the whole thing through my local flight centre. The airplane tickets are through OneWorld alliance. it was about $4500.

• 28 Dec 2009 Craig said

Default_avatar

Hi Everyone,Im Craig From Victoria Im also going on this tour looking forward to it should be great. Cant wait to travel with you all.

• 30 Dec 2009 Explorer Kailie said

Explorer Kailie

hi my name is Kailie, im doing this tour then the grand southern on the 27th of may then fingers crossed the calagary stampede version of the Grand canadian. Waiting for confirmation. Im from perth WA

• 30 Dec 2009 Cruisey said

Cruisey

Is anyone actually staying in LA for a few days?

• 31 Dec 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer Kailie:
    hi my name is Kailie, im doing this tour then the grand southern on the 27th of may then fingers crossed the calagary stampede version of the Grand canadian. Waiting for confirmation. Im from perth WA

Hey Kailie, I’m doing the Northern then the Southern too – would have liked to see more of Canada too but don’t really have the time… or the money.
  • 31 Dec 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Craig:
    Hi Everyone,Im Craig From Victoria Im also going on this tour looking forward to it should be great. Cant wait to travel with you all.

Welcome aboard Craig, should be awesome! Where abouts in Victoria are you from?
  • 5 Jan 2010 Craig said

Default_avatar

Hi Todd im from the yarra valley in Victoria about 47 Kilometers east of Melbourne. Were abouts in Melbourne are you from?

• 6 Jan 2010 Chrisco said

Chrisco

Hey guys!!! Im chris orginally from the Central Coast in NSW, but im living in Canada at the moment workin at one of the ski resorts!! Lookin forward to meetin u all and doin this trip!! I went through Europe Last Year with contiki and it was the best time of my life!! So does this tour actually start in New York City or Boston? Iv read one thing sayin it starts in New York City then i recieved a email sayin the tour starts in Boston from the Holiday INN at Seugus Airport? Is this correct If so how u guys all gettin from NYC to boston?? I could be wrong, i may have jus recieved the wrong email but yeh any replies would be greatly appreciated!! THanks so much!!!

• 6 Jan 2010 M said

Default_avatar

Hi Chris. Welcome! I am pretty sure the Grand Northern Tour starts in New York City (although we don’t really ‘see it’ on this tour) meeting at the New York Skyline hotel. I understand we travel off to Boston on the first day as a group. Is that what everyone else understood???

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.