Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Northern April 30th 2010

22 Sep 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar
Hey guys Wink

Just wondering if there is anyone else planning on doing this tour?
I know there's already a few people going.... are there any others out there?
Should be an awesome tour!

Maybe we can use this thread to count down the days till we go away?!!

Anyway, hope to hear from some people! Big Grin Smiler
  • 6 Jan 2010 M said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jono:
    Hi Explorer1150764

After Contiki I’ll be in Hawaii for a week which is my last stop before heading home. Before my American tour I’ll be in disney world orlando for a week and peru (hiking to machu pichu) and a contiki tour right accross Europe before that. I booked the whole thing through my local flight centre. The airplane tickets are through OneWorld alliance. it was about $4500.

That sounds like a nice mix of things! I’m going through flight centre and One World alliance as well – go the frequent flyer points! 4500 seems reasonable. I’m still finalizing my itinerary so not sure of the total cost yet. Must get that sorted!
  • 6 Jan 2010 Jono said

Jono

I’m staying at the skyline for 3 days before the tour. I’ve already mapped out the route to the nearest white castle diner!

• 7 Jan 2010 David said

David
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jono:
    I’m staying at the skyline for 3 days before the tour. I’ve already mapped out the route to the nearest white castle diner!

Lol, last time I was in New York, I was getting off the subway, took a wrong turn and was walking the wrong way (as you would when you’re drunk as a skunk in a foreign city), and I saw a White Castle restaurant. Was totally unexpected but just as epic as the movie, though the burgers are really tiny.

So which White Castle are you planning on going to? The one I saw was in Elmhurst in Queens on Queens Boulevard, irc it was next door, or very close to, a Wendys restaurant.
  • 7 Jan 2010 Jono said

Jono

sweet, we’ll have a troup for White Castle. the one I’m thinking of is on 8th street. A fair walk but closest one I could find to the skyline hotel.

• 8 Jan 2010 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

So how much is it costing you guys to stay at the Skyline per night? I think I’m just gonna book in the Hilton Garden Inn @ Times Square, it’s cheaper, it looks pretty new, and it’s only about 1 to 2 blocks from the Skyline so I’ll be able to make the pre-departure meeting, etc., easily enough.

• 11 Jan 2010 B said

B

Hi! I’m booked in for this Grand Northern and Grand Southern combo.

I’ll be arriving in NY the night before our tour begins (my b’day falls that week on a stopover in Hawaii). I’ve got 8 days free for NY sightseeing at the end of it all.

Thanks for sharing research about hotels and other costs because I’m still finalising that stuff – it helps. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I’m from Sydney.

• 9 Feb 2010 Explorer1162809 said

Explorer1162809

Hi everyone,

I’m booked on the New York Explorer on the 27th April and then the Grand Northern on the 30th April. I should be flying into NYC on the 26th, haven’t decided where to stay that night. Is anyone else doing the same thing and want to share accommodation?

Can’t wait!! It’s going to be awesome.

Nadine.

• 9 Feb 2010 Natalie said

Natalie

Hi Nadine.

I’m also doing the New York Explorer and have booked the Skyline Hotel through Contiki for the night of the 26th. I figure that it will be an early start the next day, so best to already there at the hotel the night before.

If you’re on Facebook, make sure you join our group on there. There are lots of us chatting about the trip and sharing information

Natalie.

• 9 Feb 2010 Explorer1162809 said

Explorer1162809

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for the info. Did you book a single or twin room, I’m happy to share if you want to save some $$$. Since we’ll be on the same tour. Or even if you just want someone to hang out with that evening.

I’ve tried joining to facebook group but I can only see 3 wall posts and not all the information? Don’t know what’s wrong.

Have you booked your flights yet?

Nadine.

Natalie

I booked a shared room through Contiki, so they will set me up with a roomie. You should ask them about it. We could work it so that we share, but I’m not sure how that goes. Have a look at the Stay longer options page in the brochure.

I think the FB group is a closed group, so Todd may need to accept you so that you can join. Make sure that you’re searching for ‘Grand Northern April 30th’. I can’t get on to FB at work, but let us know what your email address is and I’m sure one of us can sort you out or I can do it when I get home tonight.

Natalie

I’ve got my return flight to San Fran sorted, but not to NY yet. I’m flying Qantas and arrive in San Fran 24th April.

My other Contiki just got cancelled,so I have to re-think all my plans.

• 10 Feb 2010 Explorer1162809 said

Explorer1162809

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for that added info, I will book my room through the stay longer option as well, guess I should read through the entire brochure!

Sorry to hear about your other contiki cancelling, hope it all works out for you.

My email address is nadine2610@gmail.com.

Nadine.

• 26 Mar 2010 steve said

Default_avatar

hey Everyone im stephen im also doing the Grand Northern starting 30th April cant wait really looking forward to it all!!im doing 3 days in Washington dc and then 4 days in NYC before the tour,then after the tour going to San franciso for seven days then going to Vancouver doing a cruise up to alaska then going through the rockies with my parents then go to LA for 4 days doing universal studios and magic mountain plus seeing hollywood then go to Hawaii for 5 days going to the volcanoes national park and spending some time in Hawaii then going back home to boring old adelaide haha should be all awesome really looking forward to doing it all!!

• 3 Apr 2010 Craig said

Default_avatar

Welcome to the group steve were are you from mate?

• 22 Apr 2010 Explorer1178817 said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone, I’m Michael and i’m also booked on the Grand Northern tour starting on the 30th April, am looking forward to ti, and meeting you all

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.