Community_discussions_small  

Question

how dressy/casual to people go on contiki?

21 Feb 2008 Lauren asked

Default_avatar
this is prob one for the girls...

I'm doing a tour in late april/may and am wondering what sort of clothes people wear? Will jeans and sandshoes and a casual jumper be ok? Or will I be overdressed if I wear jeans and flat boots? Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Lauren
  • 21 Feb 2008 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar

Whatever you feel comfortable in! at that time of the year, i would suggest some light clothes like khaki’s and capri’s, as it will start to get warm. Jeans and skirts are good for the nights when you go out bar hopping

• 21 Feb 2008 Carli said

Default_avatar

i’m planning to layer shorts, 3/4 pants, tshirts and jumpers with very comfortable shoes/runners during the days for all that walking around sight seeing and two or three nice outfits for at night.

from all the reading i have done on contikipedia and the like this seems the way to go. i am doing the longest tour so you could drop the number of going out clothes on shorter tours.

plus your not visiting third world countries – i’m absolutely positive you will be able to buy clothes on tour if you feel like freshening up the going out outfits

• 21 Feb 2008 lindenfan1 said

Default_avatar

I am going casual… cause that is how I dress when I am at home. Jeans/capris, t-shirts and some sturdy shoes for me. I am going to pack one set of nicer clothes… but even nicer in my mind isn’t too fancy!! I figure, I am not there to leave a fashion statement, I am there to see the sights and have some fun!

• 21 Feb 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by lindenfan1:
    I figure, I am not there to leave a fashion statement, I am there to see the sights and have some fun!

I’d like to think one can do both, lol.
    Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 21 Feb 2008 lindenfan1 said

Default_avatar

That is why I put myself behind the camera – so I don’t have to look at myself Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

As far as stylish – I must confess that I don’t mean ratty old gym t-shirts… just the kind you can purchase for $20 at the Gap and similar places… I do have a tad bit of style!

• 21 Feb 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

EXACTLY!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

European women have such amazing style- it’s hard (if not impossible) to measure up when we have to be continually pulling wrinkled clothes out of a suitcase/backpack! That doesn’t mean I’ll stop trying tho, lol!

My mantra: You can still be comfortable without looking sloppy. (I think I’ve been watching too much “What Not to Wear”!!!)
    Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 22 Feb 2008 bec said

Default_avatar

Im still planning on looking good! im touring europe not going on safari. being comfy and looking good is definatly possible Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Feb 2008 Vivz said

Default_avatar

Work2travel – we speak the same language. Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

You can certainly travel in comfortable fashionable clothes! You don’t need to project the tourist outlook atmosphere just because your touring around countries.
    And you don’t need LOADS of clothes to look fashionable. Bring unique pieces of clothes to swap and change with basic bottoms or tops. you can definately shop along the way. Accessories are the best to spruce up any outfit!

I mean, ladies… you will be touring alot of cities that have a foundation for fashion. Looking good is not a huge sacrifice when you look back onto your photos after your wildest, educational, and inspiring trip oozing style.

I’m going on the longest tour contiki has to offer, and I intend to look good. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Feb 2008 Blood said

Default_avatar

You should def bring whatever your comfortable in, but you should also bring dressier clothes for the night time. On my tour (European Highlights, summer 07), everyone was casual during the day, but got a bit dressed up for the night.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.