Community_discussions_small  

Comment

few questions before i head off

19 Mar 2009 Sam said

Default_avatar
Hi
im doing the euro escapde and greek island hopping alone and im a bit nervous. Has anyone does these tour solo? if so it would be great to hear from yu so i know wot to expect. Also do the cabins have bathroom facilities and powerpoints for like hair dryers/straighters/ cameras etc?

any help would be great Smiler

sam
  • 19 Mar 2009 jmalo said

Default_avatar

i did one on my own a couple of years ago, super fun you aren’t alone for long, you will meet people the first meet up night so don’t worry about it. But about the bathrooms i don’t know i did a hotel tour. sorry but i hope that helps

• 19 Mar 2009 Sam said

Default_avatar

thanks Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> im just nervous about diong it solo but so many people say yu make friends straight away so hopefully thats true! thanks for the help

• 19 Mar 2009 Katie_83 said

Katie_83

Hi Sam,

I went solo last year and had a blast, don’t stress as almost everyone is travelling solo so you are bound to meet people.

Regarding bathrooms on the concept tour, I did the Ultimate European and visited many of the places you are going. Some accomodation may have changed, I don’t know, but the ones we went to:

-Paris had tiny bathrooms inside the cabins, but many of us chose to use the showerblock.
    -Beaujolais you are in the Chateau where you share bathrooms down the hall from you
    -Barcelona some cabins had bathrooms others did not and we used the showerblock, which was very clean
    -French Riveria – my tour got upgraded to a hotel so can’t comment on the campsite
    -Florence cabins were great and had bathrooms, however you can use the showerblocks if you like
    -Rome I think was the worst campsite, however it was still ok, just very tiny rooms. Must use showerblock here, however go off and find another one (not the contiki one as it’s filthy) the other ones were a little stroll but so much cleaner
    -Venice was a nice campsite with bathrooms but again you could use the showerblocks. Bring mossie repellent they are so bad here. Watch out for Attitude Adjusters!
    -Vienna we stayed in Wombats Hostel-really nice, bathrooms were in rooms
    -Munich again another nice hostel, bathroom in room
    -Austrian Tyrol (contiki owned) bathrooms varied as to which room you were allocated-some had toilet,sink and shower others had none
    -Rhine Valley was like a large B&B all rooms had bathrooms
    -Amsterdam was a hotel and all rooms had bathrooms

I think everywhere we stayed had powerpoints, but there is always a place to charge on the bus too. Sometimes there was only one powerpoint so maybe bring a powerboard so you can all charge at the same time, as everyone wants their camera/ipod etc working

Hope that helped
    Katie

• 19 Mar 2009 jgoff3003 said

Default_avatar

Hi Sam,

When are you going on the greek island trip as i am going solo too

• 19 Mar 2009 Sam said

Default_avatar

thanku so much katie! that was great info and i really appreciate it Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> people keep telling me not to be scared but i am lol but also excited. thanks so much for the info! cant say im looking forward to the tiny rooms haha but what a great experience it’l be!

im going on the 18th jul to greek islands jgoff3003 wot about yu?

• 19 Mar 2009 jgoff3003 said

Default_avatar

I am on the 24th of April tour and i am really nervous about going solo

• 19 Mar 2009 Brindabella said

Default_avatar

Wow Katie, just regarding what you said about hopw you got upgraded to a hotel when in the French Riveria…does that kind of thing happen often? Why did they upgrade you? Was it a last minute thing for that location? You must’ve been pretty chuffed to get upgraded! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Mar 2009 Katie_83 said

Katie_83

From what our tour manager told us there were 3 other contiki tours meant to arrive at the campsite at the same time and there just wasn’t enough room, so they upgraded my tour. We were told that they sometimes do that for the longer tours – I was on the 46 day one. We were so shocked as there were 51 of us! The place we were upgraded to was amazing though – massive appartments per 4 people, 2 pools, waterslide, nice meals, we were so impressed. It was nice after a few campsites to stay somewhere different!
    Thanks Contiki!

• 20 Mar 2009 Megsy said

Megsy

katie can you just clarify something for me what are Attitude Adjusters??

quote:
    Watch out for Attitude Adjusters!

• 21 Mar 2009 Katie_83 said

Katie_83

Hey Megsy
    Attitude adjusters are a drink at the venice campsite, they pack a punch lol!
    From what I remember of the night, there were several large shots all topped off with fanta. Very tasty! I polished off 6 in one sitting which was my bus’ record and managed to drag myself around venice the next day. Someone on my trip had one too many and puked out of the boat on the trip over to venice lol! (it wasn’t me!!)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion