Community_discussions_small  

Comment

EUROPEAN MAGIC - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS.

19 Oct 2010 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket
Yo Yo all... so i just got back from the euro magic tour and had a great time thought i would post this thread for any one that has any questions regarding the tour as i wish there was one when i was planning on booking or going... i can answer on most questions i believe people will have and i did all the optional extras except moulin rouge but everyone that did that said it was really good and worth it.. so with out further i do ASK AWAY Smiler

EDIT PLEASE READ: I have answered many questions regarding this trip and have started to get a lot of duplicate questions mainly regarding Money, Travel Times, And what certain events, places or foods are like so it would be much appreciated if you took a few minutes of your time to read through some other peoples posts and my responses and most likely i would say majority of your questions will be answered. If you have any others or would like to know in depth more about something i have answered i will still be happy to answer them but it would be much appreciated if you check first as it will save your time getting the information you need and also my time :) Thank you =)
  • 19 Oct 2010 KateBN19 said

KateBN19

Hey JonoRocket!!

I have questions!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I’m going on this trip on the 29th Dec. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Was it a real party trip?

What was the group like, couples/solo’s/groups of friends?

What was Munich like – in terms of partying(This is where my tour will be for New Years Eve)?

What was it like with Amsterdam as the first night? I’m travelling by myself and most excited for Amsterdam.. I don’t wanna be the only one intent on trying ALL Amsterdam has to offer haha Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Did you have a great time? That’s the main thing. Was it fun!!!!? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Thanks matey.

Kate Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Oct 2010 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket

Hello Kate Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

1.Was it a real party trip

YES! it was great fun the whole way.. how the trip is “kind” of structured is that it goes Big night, quiet night etc etc.. but of course you can make every night a big night.. i went out every night except two nights… one of them being Lucerne and apparently it was a wise choice as it is REALLY expensive there someone ended up paying something like 30 odd francs for two beers! (roughly 30 aussie) and someone bought a wopper meal from hungry jacks for 14 franc very expensive place.

2. What was the group like, couples/solo’s/groups of friends?

We had 40 people on our tour and that is about the amount you will get as well. out of that many i would say close to half maybe even slightly more than half were solo travelers i traveled with my brother. we had 4 couples on the tour 1 from NZ 1 from Singapore, 1 from india and 1 who had this trip as their honeymoon from canada.

3.What was Munich like – in terms of partying(This is where my tour will be for New Years Eve)?

Munich was one of the best party nights for sure everyone had a great great great time in munich we all went to the hoffboy (however its spelt) house which is the largest beer hall in the world. it has something like 5000 tables or something crazy it was packed and we got 3 big tables side by side. great food and plenty of steins with big chants all night followed by going back to the hotel quickly and many kicking on into the local nightclubs… its a good night there Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> PROSSSSST!!!! (German cheers)

4. What was it like with Amsterdam as the first night? I’m travelling by myself and most excited for Amsterdam.. I don’t wanna be the only one intent on trying ALL Amsterdam has to offer haha

haha i know what you mean!.. Amsterdam was well…. one crazy night for our tour firstly you can do an optional two hour cruise on a boat that plays music and i highly highly recommend doing this as its the first “real” bonding you get to have with your whole group also you get unlimited free beer and wine… (OK well not unlimited we drained it dry about 10 minutes before the end of the cruise but it was still a good kick off hehe ) after that we went to the grasshopper house which is like a 4 story coffee shop but depending on your tour manager etc you may go somewhere different im not sure. once we were there i was actually surprised how many people bought space cakes and joints i guess some group peer pressure and people knowing they are in Amsterdam kicked in a little hehe Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> after munching on some cake and joints we headed off into the red light district for a quick walk through for about 20 odd minutes or so once that finished we were all pretty buzzy from the weed and beer on the boat and out of the 40 odd people we had on tour i would say 30 of us then went to (whats not included on the website optional activity you can sign up for which costs about 26 euros from memory and hour long sex show) you get two free drinks during your hour and i have to say it was incredibly funny for that hour long.. it kinda goes serious act then a funny one with things that cant be mentioned here haha.. everyone was just zoned out starring it was quite funny to watch and be there in most of our states. also to mention they get audience participation and 4 of our tour people went up and did some funny funny stuff… after that about half kicked on home in cabs two of which were pretty screwed over from the weed so be careful on some of them as they are strong… of course there are diff strengths u can ask for. The other half which i was in a group with went to a club for about an hour and then called it a night. so yes. Amsterdam was a fun night of what can be remembered haha.

5. Did you have a great time? That’s the main thing. Was it fun!!!!?

Yes it was definitely fun and we are all getting in contact on facebook etc.. surprisingly for a 9 day tour we got pretty close to some people and will definitely meet up with a few down the track when we go to their countries or they come to ours. Be prepared for the travelling though its a very go go tour and i had one terribly annoying day on the coach after a big night in venice on the way to Switzerland hungover ugghhh painful. I was also surprised by the places we stayed at.. more than fine for me i was expecting just a bed but all had beds own bathroom and most if not all had a TV so it was actually pretty good accommodation for a budget tour.

be happy to answer any other questions you have PS. sorry about the typos after finishing this i really dont feel like editing it haha Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> have a fun time !

• 20 Oct 2010 KateBN19 said

KateBN19

Thank you so much. There’s so many posts on these forums about people wanting to “see Europe” and not party it up, but that’s literally what i’m going for. A different kinda party. Like, sure I wanna go to Notre Dame but would prefer to shop in Paris. It’s a 9 day tour, how much could you possibly see anyway?

Thank you so much for confirming that there will be lots of partying on this tour. I’m so excited now. I figure cause it’s a NYE tour anyway it’ll be pretty cool. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’ll do Europe properly when i’m not 19. At 19 you can handle hangovers on bus rides. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

So did you go back to London? Did many people stay in London after 4 a bit?
    In your group, was there anyone travelling on their own who were obviously left out/didn’t make many friends on tour?

Thanks
    Kate

• 20 Oct 2010 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket

yeah i went back to london, on the day of leaving the paris hotel on the way back to london we said goodbye to about 4 – 6 people at the hotel who made their ways elsewhere and we dropped two off at the airport so most traveled back to london. once back in london we spent the night in the london pub which is at the base of the royal national hotel (contiki hotel basically) about 15 or so people on my tour ended up coming out.. others went to bed early or had to make their ways elsewhere my brother and i didnt stay out for long because we had to be up at 330AM to catch an early morning flight to spain the next day but im sure you will get some staying in london for at least a night or two after maybe longer i know of about 2 or 3 that are still there and this is almost two weeks ago now that it ended.

there was no one who traveled alone who didnt make any friends, its literally impossible to not make any friends there are 40 people so your bound to find a few people that you will get along with as long as your not a total recluse you will have no problems what so ever making friends with people on contiki.

• 20 Oct 2010 KateBN19 said

KateBN19

Awesome. Thank you!!

One more question… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Was anyone on your tour vegetarian? Did they have any trouble with the dinners that you know of?

Kate. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Oct 2010 wei-ni said

Default_avatar

thanks for yr info! am takin tis tour in nov. i gt more questions for u

1) any internet wireless access in the hotel? safe to bring laptop?

2) swiss alps. hw high are we going? need to prepare extra thick clothing?

3)will there be enough time off for “some” shoppin as well?

4) i heard that the hotels are like backpackers place, we need to bring our own towel?(we r moving from place to place almost every nite, if we would to bring our own towel, not sure is quick-dry fast enough to be pack back into the bag)

5)our baggasges will be in the baggage compartment of the coach i guess? and we will get to access anytime when the coach stop? or will it be easier just to carry a day pack during the ride? and can we juz leave the day pack in the coach while we alight for the sightseeing?

• 22 Oct 2010 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket

Was anyone on your tour vegetarian? Did they have any trouble with the dinners that you know of?

We had one girl from canada who was vegetarian she was good fun to get along with as well. As far as i know she didnt have any problems with any of the meals all the hotels it seemed brought her out her own custom meal each place also she came out to the venice optional dinner night and sat next to me and she was happy with that meal.. the small entrée is mostly little meats but after that you get all these big mains with lots of different pastas on them.

JonoRocket

1) any internet wireless access in the hotel? safe to bring laptop?

Yeah its safe to bring a laptop most hotels have wireless and some even have a computer or two with free internet access in the lobby’s Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

2) swiss alps. hw high are we going? need to prepare extra thick clothing?

1920m (6300 ft) is how high the mountain is… considering the time your going it will probably be best to do so.. but when i was there it was actually ALOT warmer up top then down bottom because we went through the clouds and got the sunshine hehe Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

3)will there be enough time off for “some” shoppin as well?

Yes, Plenty of free time for shopping… especially in Venice and ill tell you now, im a guy and venice is a shoppers dream.. so beware on that bank account there! so much stuff to buy that is unique.

4) i heard that the hotels are like backpackers place, we need to bring our own towel?(we r moving from place to place almost every nite, if we would to bring our own towel, not sure is quick-dry fast enough to be pack back into the bag)

This is exactly what i thought before i went but the hotels are anything but backpackers… there actually quite nice mostly i mean sure there not 5 star but they are still very nice… all hotels had towels so i wouldnt worry about them most hotels bar 1 (st goar) had a TV with Amsterdam and Munich being flat screen TVs and all had their own bathrooms so quite good accommodation and nothing to really worry about there. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

5)our baggasges will be in the baggage compartment of the coach i guess? and we will get to access anytime when the coach stop? or will it be easier just to carry a day pack during the ride? and can we juz leave the day pack in the coach while we alight for the sightseeing?

Yes your bags will be under the coach. Every 3 hours in europe the driver is required by law to stop for 45 minutes so you stop often at road houses etc i guess you could get them to open it up but no one did everyone had small bags on the coach that they had their main things for the traveling day. For sight seeing yeah you can leave whatever you want on the bus and take whatever you want off. Some days before you go visit a place you will head to your hotel and check in, drop bags off etc first Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> .

• 22 Oct 2010 KateBN19 said

KateBN19

Thank you 4 all this. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

JonoRocket

We went up Stanserhorn and then did a sunset lake cruise as the two optionals

not sure what you will do on the winter one, sounds like you do a drive instead of a cruise as its colder ??

• 5 Jan 2011 Mary D said

Mary D

Hi!
    I was wondering how fast paced the day was on this tour? Im fine with partying but I’m going to Europe to see and do everything i can! I want to make the most of the daylight hours and see all thats available. Is that the type of trip this is?

• 6 Jan 2011 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mary D:
    Hi!
    I was wondering how fast paced the day was on this tour? Im fine with partying but I’m going to Europe to see and do everything i can! I want to make the most of the daylight hours and see all thats available. Is that the type of trip this is?

This is a very Go Go trip and you see a lot in a short period of time however travelling is intense as it is with all contikis though, basically everyday you will be waking up and travelling to your next destination bar two days (Italy 2 nights, and Paris 2 nights)

You will however arrive to these 2 night places at night such as the first italy stop we arrived at night but considering you dont stay in venice (its not possible) everyone went out that night in this little place where you stay just off venice and then the next morning early you ferry into venice for a full day which is more than enough to see everything venice has to offer, and also paris we also arrived at night and then did the eiffle tower climb the next day you have the whole city to do as you please Which while paris has alot to offer i was able to do everything that i wanted – Climb the arc, Louvre, Cruise around the water by boat, Walk some of their amazing parks, visit some various other architecture buildings etc and also a few shops the only other thing i probably would have liked to do there also was visit the notre darm – Keep in mind i walked paris and it is MASSIVE so if you cabbed it around a little you could easily accomplish what i did and more.

From talking to my guide she basically confirmed that this trip you do get to see a lot in a short period of time which is certainly true but from how you spend your nights on this contiki it can be very taxing as every morning you are up early but thats every contiki really.

• 23 Jan 2011 tinaEuroMagic916 said

tinaEuroMagic916

hey jonorocket!!

i am going to the european magic tour in september and have a few questions!

how long the bus rides to each place were about?

if there are three of us will we be seperated on the bus? how does the bus seating go? and is there a usable bathroom on the bus?

how much spending money is a perfect amount to have no limitations?

how is the food that is included with the tour? i heard we sometimes cook it ourselves?

do we mostly drive through the night or is it day driving also?

are there outlets or movies playing on the bus?

thanks =)

-Tina!

• 23 Jan 2011 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket
    quote:
    Originally posted by tinaEuroMagic916:
    hey jonorocket!!

i am going to the european magic tour in september and have a few questions!

how long the bus rides to each place were about?

if there are three of us will we be seperated on the bus? how does the bus seating go? and is there a usable bathroom on the bus?

how much spending money is a perfect amount to have no limitations?

how is the food that is included with the tour? i heard we sometimes cook it ourselves?

do we mostly drive through the night or is it day driving also?

are there outlets or movies playing on the bus?

thanks =)

-Tina!

On Average travel between places is about 6 hours i think the longest travel is around the 7 – 8 hour mark but most are 6 or 1 – 2 less

The bus seating is just you sit where you please each time you get on. There is a useable bathroom but only for number 1s so if you really need to go you can ask them to stop

Haha, the money question is a hard one. You can easily spend thousands of euros a day and i would say that would be no limitations haha.. put it this way. as a bare minimum i wouldn’t budget any less than 75 euro per day average. to be in no limitations in my opinion (someone who doesn’t have big shopping habits. likes to do everything the city has to offer, eat out, drink a fair bit at nights, nice meals, etc) would be around the 125 – 150 euro mark per day

All the breakfasts are provided and are quite good i thought considering i wasn’t expecting much. Its no 5 star meals but its more than satisfying in my opinion. No you never cook your selfs but you do have to buy all your own lunches which is easy as your always exploring around that time anyway also you do have to buy some dinners i think 1 or 2 form memory?? the itinerary on the contiki website will tell you how many are included and not.

You mostly drive first thing in the morning, usually you get up have breakfast and 30 mins later your on the bus and its early.. normally your getting up at like 6 – 7 AM or so sometimes later. it can be painful depending on how you spent the previous night haha. So its mostly day driving. i think once we drove about 2 hours through night.

yeah the bus has about 5 power outlets so you can charge your phones, cameras etc ours also had two TVs but no one ever really wanted to watch it. We constantly had music going through the bus though.

HF Tina Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 Feb 2011 Jorge & Argenis said

Jorge & Argenis

Hello!
    I am Jorge from Cancun Mexico.
    I am going on this tour on October 13 and i have a few questions you may answer (thank you very much for taking the time by the way)

• Does the first night at the hotel is included? it says that i should meet with my group on october 13th, but that the first night in london is from the 14th to the 15th, so i need to know if i should find a hotel for that night.
    • You are going from one country to the other almost everyday, and i am worried to get the feeling that i spent all my trip on a bus, traveling, how far is one contry from the other? do you really spend too much time at the bus?
    • Is it expensive to have lunch and dinner? is breakfast included a good one? or just some bread and juice?
    • How much do you think you need to bring for personal expenses? $70 euros per day?
    • How much is the ride to the Eiffel Tower and the entrance to the Louvre?
      Any other recommendations i shoud know?
      Thank you very very very much!
  • 10 Feb 2011 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket

Hola

1. We stayed in the royal national hotel before the day the contiki starts in which it starts at the bottom of it… This is not included you chose where you want to stay prior to departure but the Royal national hotel has good deals for people on contiki so give contiki a call up and enquire about prices and so forth and they can book you a room.

2. Contiki is generally alot of time spent traveling regardless of what tour you do, You travel everyday except two in which you spend two nights at the same place. average travel days are around the 6 hour mark. All Contiki tours have a decent amount of time spent traveling. but everyone uses the time traveling as their bed time haha.

3. Breakfasts were fine for me, Cereals, Eggs, Juices, Toast, Coffee, Tea, Bacon.. I was more than satisfied.

4. The money question has been asked a lot already and its really personal preference but as a rule of thumb i wouldn’t go any lower than 70 euro per day.

5. Eiffle tower to the top is around 10 euros the louvre is around 9 euros. The Louvre is massive and you could spend hours there and still not even see half of it so if you like art its more than worth the fee.

Tener un buen momento ! =)

• 13 Feb 2011 ModGal said

Default_avatar

Besides the GO GO aspect…did you feel like you had adequate time to enjoy the sites & cities? I’ve booked this trip, but I am a little weary that it’s just soooo fast paced. Only one night in Amsterdam saddens me a bit!! Did you have time to do anything else (other than partay all night, the first night)??

• 4 Mar 2011 babystace1985 said

babystace1985

JonoRocket you’re AWESOME! Thank you soo much for this advice.

• 4 Mar 2011 JonoRocket said

JonoRocket

Thanks babystace very much appreciated :D :D

• 21 Mar 2011 KRISTY! said

KRISTY!

Hello =-)
    I, just curious to weather or not any hotels have pool, gym etc.. on our tour?
    That mite just be asking a bit too much for budget stays —-But most definitely worth the ask.

I may have more questions coming up as we depart from London on July 17th 2011 and trying to get all the knowledge I can on the Tour. I have read all questions,. and responses, they are all very good.

Thanks!
    Kristy.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.