Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Not a Swimmer...

30 Sep 2010 Sophie91 said

Default_avatar
Hey, I'm new here but I'm thinking of doing the Grand Explorer, starting in Christchurch in January and my question is:
I'm not a swimmer and have a very real fear of deep water - is this going to prevent me from truly enjoying this tour? Is there times when this could detract from any of the optionals and would there be any that are strictly swimmers only?
Cheers
  • 30 Sep 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Swimming is not required … there are a ton of other optionals to choose from that do not require swimming – and especially in Queenstown where there are more optionals than time will permit.

- Vic

• 14 Oct 2010 liselise said

liselise

Hey =) I went on this tour in Jan last year which ended in the Bay of Islands and even though I swim I don’t remember swimming much at all. I did an optional sailing trip at the Bay and I did do a little swimming there but not everyone came on that trip. I did do a few things on boats and stuff though like the shotover jet where, even though there’s no swimming, I guess you have to be prepared to get wet and that the boat may topple over =P.

My friends are way more into swimming than I am and did activities which required swimming however I opted not to do those activities. They did one which included rapids (I think it was called Mad Dog something). But when they did that I went off and did a different optional activity with other people on the tour. There was no included activities which included swimming that I remember.

But apart from that you could definitely get away with not being a swimmer and still have a great time!

• 14 Oct 2010 Sophie91 said

Default_avatar

Thanks liselise, that sounds good. I still want to go on the Bay of Islands cruise and of course the Milford Sound one, but my plan was just to stay well away from any part of the boat which didn’t have guardrails. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Oct 2010 liselise said

liselise

You don’t need to swim for either of those cruises =) At the Bay though I’m pretty sure there was a beach stop and me and a few people jumped off and went snorkelling then swam to shore. For the people who didn’t want to swim I’m pretty sure there was a smaller boat to take them to shore. The stopover wasn’t long anyway, maybe 15-20 minutes.

The Milford sound one you’re pretty much no where near the water although quite a few of the others on my cruise went swimming but there were still other people that didn’t swim so you won’t be alone.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.