Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Europe July 1982

2 Aug 2007 SueT said

Default_avatar
Okay... it's 25 years on and things are fuzzy - but what a great time we had - my sister and I (Tracy and Sue, yanks) still sigh when we speak of it. Here are some things I remember:

Driver - another yank - I think from Orange County - Dan? I remember him shearing off someone's rearview mirror while we drove through the alps... but was always calm under pressure - Italy won the world cup while we were in Rome, I think... maybe Florence - crowds poured onto the street, surrounded the bus and rocked it.

Jean - the cool New Yorker

Graham - Aussie - sat in the back seat shouting 'take it easy on the corners'.

A never ending Men At Work soundtrack (okay by us).

Michael and Geoff - tent mates who claimed I snored. Lies and fabrications.

Tourguide - gorgeous guy, but can't remember his name... Ingrid probably could... wait: Tony!!!

The first night in Paris we left two poor souls behind because they didn't make it back to the bus at the appointed hour - fortunately they caught up with us at the Eiffel Tower the next day.

End of July - celebrated my 18th birthday by drinking a pint of beer while leading an oompah band at Munich - and how many people can claim that?

Three friends de Mexico - Leti, and ? and ? Unstoppable - they said they would sleep when they got home.

The Contiki Cough, and over-the-counter hallucinogenic antidotes for it in Switzerland.

The T-shirt, I think, featured a bus full of BAs...

Anyway, thanks for the great memories - hope all Contiki '82ers are doing well!

Sue
  • 5 Aug 2007 Herb said

Default_avatar

Hi Sue,

I was on the SE40 tour in 1982 and had a great time. I still have the daybook and if anyone would like a copy of it on PDF that would not be a problem. I hope you are all well.

Herb

• 7 Sep 2008 Explorer1112116 said

Default_avatar

Hi Sue, I was on the ME (mini European) tour that year but we were also in Florence when the Italians won the soccer championship. Our bus had the 4 brothers from Edmonton on it, and I think everyone that summer played the men at work song.

• 27 Aug 2013 Julie Dowse said

Default_avatar

Hi Sue. I was in the EE27 group on a 6 weeks tour which left London on 20 June 1982. Our tour guide was also Tony and our bus driver Mudguard. We also played Men at Work, as well as Billy Joel all around Europe. It was a fantastic experience. Enjoyed reading your comments. Julie

• 3 Sep 2013 SueT said

Default_avatar

Hi all and a belated thanks for commenting. Ever since your comment, Julie, I can’t get into the car without Men at Work coming on the radio! Again, okay by me. The nickname Mudguard did make me literally LOL. Since my original comment we have hit the 30 year anniversary of our contiki tours. Fondness remains, memories are a little fuzzier – I do remember the great bartenders and djs at some of the chateaus/villas in France and Italy – and having a costume party in Rome, with someone able to cobble together a pretty impressive pope’s outfit with sheets and a white paper plate. Funny what sticks with you… Take care, all!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion