Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Internet Banking

18 Jun 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar
Can anyone tell me how safe (or not) it is to access internet banking from an internet cafe in Europe?
  • 18 Jun 2008 Nickerz said

Nickerz

Hi Katie, when in Euro last year i found it fine to access accounts online. Dont write your passwords down incase you drop them etc so memorise them in your head & thats a safety tip. I would do it only every several days to minimise the transfer fees but yep, all was ok for us when using it. Hope this helps!
    Cheers
    Nichole Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 18 Jun 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

I would NEVER use internet banking from a non-secure computer. You have no idea what kind of keyloggers or viruses are installed on those machines, so your information could be easily compromised.

• 18 Jun 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice. I thought it would be pretty dodgy. What do you class as a non-secure computer – obviously those in internet cafes, but what about the ones in hotels etc – would you class them as unsecure?

• 18 Jun 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Katie:
    Thanks for the advice. I thought it would be pretty dodgy. What do you class as a non-secure computer – obviously those in internet cafes, but what about the ones in hotels etc – would you class them as unsecure?

I would consider any computer that I did not set up to be insecure. (I’m also paranoid, btw! Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> )

For practical purposes, I would avoid doing anything sensitive on computers at internet cafes, hotels, any place where pretty much anyone could come in and use the computer.

Personally I would not log into online banking even if I was at a friend’s house, unless I had confidence in that friend’s ability to maintain a secure system.

• 18 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I have to admit I did do Internet banking from hotel computers in Europe and (luckily) had no problems.

• 19 Jun 2008 bec said

Default_avatar

hmmm definatly something to think about. I dont know about others, but I use internet banking heaps at home, cos its free to move money around, check balances etc.
    does anyone have any advice on where would be safe, or is it really just a much better idea to check balances at atms?

• 20 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar

Hmmmmmmm soo.. how would you guys pay any credit card bills? I’m already taking my debit (atm) card, the CC is for emergencies only! (i.e., when I don’t have enough cash on me!)

I should ask the bank this, but: can you call Mastercard, or Visa card etc, and ask them for the balance, and ask them to transfer money to pay off a CC bill?

• 20 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

Cyphus, I have paid my cc bills and checked my balances online from cyber cafe’s, etc. while on vacation without any issues.

I can certainly understand people’s paranoi, but you’re just as likely if not more at risk to be scammed by someone skimming your credit card/debit card info from a machine on the street or a store. If a thief wants your info badly enough, they’ll get it.

Be careful yes, but do what you need to do.

• 20 Jun 2008 Sarah Smiles said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cyphus:
    Hmmmmmmm soo.. how would you guys pay any credit card bills? I’m already taking my debit (atm) card, the CC is for emergencies only! (i.e., when I don’t have enough cash on me!)

I should ask the bank this, but: can you call Mastercard, or Visa card etc, and ask them for the balance, and ask them to transfer money to pay off a CC bill?

One option, would be to overpay your card before you leave.
    I am guilty of logging on to internet banking at unsecure locations. I just log on quickly, do what I need to do and log back out. I make sure no one is watching and close out everything before I leave. I haven’t had any issues but I can see how it could be dangerous. Sometimes I like to live on the wild side Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

I do all of my banking at a bank that has no branches – it is completely online only.

• 27 Jun 2008 JessKat said

JessKat

If you over pay your card (ie, balance is higher than credit limit) your card can still only go up to your credit limit within that month until next pay ment is due. It is also more likely to be picked up for security checks whilst abroad as it isn’t a facility most banks offer or they would advise you to get a debit card. They are crafty like that.

Be careful.

• 27 Jun 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Right, I’ve come up with a plan B. I was going to use internet banking to shift money around onto some Travelex cards which I need one in pounds, one in Euros and one in USD. I don’t know how much of each currency I need, so I was going to top them up online, but now I’ve opened a new bank account with just my holiday money in it and will withdraw it at ATMs as I go. If I do need to shuffle any money I can do it via phone banking which will be much safer.

For anyone in New Zealand trying to work out the cheapest way to withdraw money, it seems to be using an ASB bank cashflow card. $5 per withdrawl and a 1.1% international conversion fee. A lot of the other banks and credit cards charge 2.2% and up to $7.50. It sounds a bit tight arse working this all out, but I reckon I will save about $150-$200 NZD on conversion fees across my whole trip.

• 28 Jun 2008 Taz! said

Default_avatar

ive found that its safe to do banking if theres a little lock (secure) symbol at the bottom of the page when you start

• 28 Jun 2008 said

Default_avatar

Another option, if you can access the internet on your mobile and are taking it, you can do your banking online on your mobile. If the hotels have wireless internet you can connect up to their network or alternatively find a network associated with your normal carrier and use that.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion