Community_discussions_small  

Comment

NY at night

8 Apr 2009 jess said

Default_avatar
Hi guys

Im exploring NY solo in July (cos my Contiki was cancelled) and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice/tips about how safe NY is at night and if there are any no-go areas that I should be avoiding as I'm not a very experienced traveller.

Thanks!
Jess
  • 8 Apr 2009 Christie said

Christie

Hey Jess,

Going Solo in NY would be fine.
    The easiest way to get around is the subway. cheap and easy. and theres normally someone to help you if you have trouble. I found cabs to be alright aswell.

I spent 6 days in total in NY and loved every minute of it. (NY was by far my fav city)
    Not once did i feel unsafe.

Just use your common sense. dont go walking around by yourself at night. dont leave your bag or belongings alone etc

If an area looks desserted- theres more likely a reason behind it.

Make sure you visit places like: Staute of Liberty (make sure you prior organise as you need to get on a boat to travel out to the island)

Empire state building is a MUST. (we done it at night which was amazing- to cut lines get prior tickets so you wont be waiting hours- and night time cuts time down aswell)

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is a great experience- a lil bit of walking but is def worth for the view.

Go see ground zero- central park (you need a couple days here on its own!)

and also dont forget to go to times square.

me and a friend done quiet a bit of this by ourselves and never had an issue.

hope this helps.

Christie

• 8 Apr 2009 Corinne said

Corinne

I went to New York with a friend when we were both 16 and not once did i feel unsafe, having said that, we did stick to the tourist areas and Manhatten, and didnt really go off the beaten track. We only used taxis (except once when we got a bike carriage thing-DO IT!!) and i never had an issue with them, but then again, i was with a guy. You’re more likely to be a target if you’re by yourself, but if you keep your wits about you and only go to places at night that you’re familiar with through day visits then you should be ok.

• 9 Apr 2009 QbnJackie said

Default_avatar

Obviously it’s safer with a group, but if you have to be alone, just try not to look like a tourist. Look purposeful when you walk, even if you don’t know exactly where you’re going. It’s really not that bad though. There are cops all around Manhattan, especially the touristy parts. But definitely use your common sense i.e. don’t wander through the Bronx alone at night. You should be fine.

Someone else mentioned seeing Ground Zero. It used to be worthwhile, but I just went again last month and all it is now is a big fenced off construction area. There are no memorials and there’s not much to see except the gap in the skyline. But it is something to do if you have the time.

As for other must-do activities, might I suggest Junior’s for cheesecake. The original one is in Brooklyn if you can get there.

• 14 Apr 2009 Christie said

Christie

reply to Qbnjackie,

seeing groundzero- even if it is sectioned off.
    if theres someone there to tell you the storey its pretty powerful.
    and there is a memorial, its at a church just down the road. its good to see also.
    but i agree the touristy areas are safe but you do still need to use your wits.

• 14 Apr 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ll agree that Juniors has great cheesecake, there is a restaurant in Times Square (maybe 45th? street 7th to 8th ave) – if you don’t want to go to brooklyn.

I’ve checked my guide book about ground zero, I got to live it so I don’t need to visit it so I don’t really know much about the current state of the site. The East side wall (on church street) of Ground Zero apparently has the history of the 9/11 attack. The main viewing area is on Liberty street, but you can view it from the pedestrian bridges to the world financial center. For tours check out these websites: www.nycvp.com www.tributewtc.org
    The book suggested starting at Church and Vessey which is the Northeast corner of the site.

Another thing that I did recently that I liked was I went to the Lower East Side Tenement Musuem, you have to do a tour, but they’re only an hour but they’re high quality tours and give some history on NYC. www.tenement.org

• 29 Apr 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

Avoid just about all parks at night. Many places like central park are touristy during the day and very dangerous at night. For the most part, just use common sense. If its lit up and crowded, you’ll be fine. Wear a bag that you can wear across your body. If you want a real taste of NY, try heading down to Union Square. Its crowded enough at night (especially if you catch a weekend) and there are alot of hole in the wall places to eat and shop.

• 31 May 2009 tara-grace said

Default_avatar

How far in advance would you make reservations?

I really don’t want to miss out on Serendipity 3!

• 16 Jun 2009 Zak C. said

Default_avatar

NYC at night is not bad at all. It’s the city that doesn’t sleep so there will be people out at all hours of the night and some of the coolest things to check out (like clubs) are best experienced well into the night. If you are a female, I’d suggest a cab ride for a lengthy walk any time after 1am just to be certain. Traveling in groups is always a better idea. Meeting people on your groups, pub crawls, and nightclub tours are a great way to meet some cool people and experience the greatest city in the world.

Uncle Sam’s New York offers some cool nightlife and pub crawl tours that I’ve experienced and loved. So check them out if you’re looking for that kind of scene. They also do walking tours for those who want to see sights.

• 16 Jun 2009 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

You’ll be fine if you don’t become stupid. :-) Its a pretty safe city.

If you like a great view of Manhattan at night Take the A train to High Street and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge at night

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.