Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Sending packages home

25 Jun 2008 special_kas said

Default_avatar
Hi, im from Australia and i am doing the grand southern next year i was just wondering if its safe to send stuff ive bought home from america. I was looking to buy a lot of clothes and other things and was thinking if they didnt fit in my bag i could just send them home. Did anyone do this, is it safe and also does it cost very much. Thanks
  • 25 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

It should be safe if you’re just sending clothes but it will, no doubt, cost you a fortune.

If you’re going to the States you should be able to take (and bring back) 32kg’s with “most” airlines – that’s gotta be close to enough, doesn’t it?

• 26 Jun 2008 Tracie said

Tracie

Hi i live in Sydney
    I did the GS last year and when i got to NY i sent stuff home as i had run out of room in my bags…i sent a fairly big box home and it wasn’t that expensive to send home…it cost me around $87 US which is bout $100 Aus and it took a few weeks to get home but it did get there…i was in hope that it would turn up home as i stupidly put the group photos inside the box which if the box didn’t get home i would have lost them…
    it is fairly safe though as you give the address of the place your staying your address at home and someone elses address near home if it can’t be delivered there for safety
    There were a few of us sending stuff home and it all arrived…but i found that it wasn’t that expensive…especially since it gave me some more room in my bag

• 1 Jul 2008 Jaclyn said

Default_avatar

What did you use to send your packages by? The postal service, or something else?

• 1 Jul 2008 Tracie said

Tracie

Yeah i used the postal service..i didn’t know how to do it any other way

• 4 Jul 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

i did europe last yr and ended up haing to send a box of stuff home.

now i’ve learnt for my US trip to take the bare minimum…so i can stock up on all new clothes and stuff and in turn will have no need to send stuff home.

• 6 Jul 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

hey melsie,
    thanks…well with all my toiletries ive been waring them down so i’ll have just enough of everything to last me for my trip, then i can throw the empty bottles out….i’ll be fine on the way over as im taking bar minimum on the way to save for all the things i buy & fill up my case with. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Jul 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

The US Postal Service is reliable (at least for US delivery) and reasonably priced. There are post offices all over the place and some hubs are open 24 hours (like NYC near penn station).

There are also postal types of stores that you can send stuff via UPS and FedEx, which are both reliable, but probably a bit more expensive.

• 8 Jul 2008 miss_kayti said

miss_kayti

I sent a few packages home when I did my US tour. One package was 10 pounds (around 4.5kg) and it cost about $105.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion