Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Will there be time to visit the Dachau Concentration Camp on the Euro Explorer

29 Apr 2010 Explorer1128723 said

Default_avatar
Hi guys

I am going on the European Explorer. I really would like to visit Dachau Concentration Camp, but the thing is we are only in Munich for one day so I was wondering is there enough time to visit the camp.

Could anyone who has been on the European Explorer answer this for me

Thanks
  • 29 Apr 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

on my euro discovery tour we had the option of going white water rafting or going to Dachau, 99% of the people on my tour chose Dachau so we did that. But this option will depend on your TM.

• 29 Apr 2010 Erika said

Erika

Hi! On my Highlights tour we went to the Camp the morning we left Munich, before we travelled on to St Goar (Rhine Valley). This was 2 1/2 years ago though.
    Just had a look at your itinerary, it says you will go to Mauthausen concentration camp, so they might not bother with doing two camps.

• 29 Apr 2010 Explorer1128723 said

Default_avatar

Opps I meant to say I am going on the European Adventurer.

The itinerary says:

Day
    Kick start the day and plunge into some white-water rafting in an adrenaline-pumping optional activity on the river.

This afternoon, travel north to the home of the world-famous Oktoberfest, Munich – a city that blends traditional Bavarian culture and modern lifestyle.

Explore the heart of Munich’s Old Town with the crew, and head to Marienplatz. It’s a central gathering spot famous for the Glockenspiel – a gothic clock, complete with 32 dancing figures and 43 chiming bells.

Then head off with some friends for a taste of tradition to a typical beer hall and park yourselves at a long wooden table. In this optional excursion, you’ll feast on hearty local food, like roasted pork knuckle, and quench your thirst with a stein of one of Germany’s 5000 brews.

Hostel
    Breakfast
    Munich to Swiss Alps
    Day
    Today, travel past the stony cliffs of Liechtenstein, into the capital, Vaduz, where you can grab some lunch and enjoy it in the shadow of the royal family’s 12th Century Castle.

Next stop: the jaw-droppingly beautiful alpine town of Lucerne. With covered wooden bridges, cobbled lanes and quaint buildings, Lucerne’s centre is perfect to explore on foot. Also to stock up on lots of genuine Swiss chocolate! Your Tour Manager can give you pointers on where to pick up the best-priced watches Switzerland is so famous for.

Tonight, we head to the alpine heights of Lauterbrunnen and stay at Contiki’s very own Swiss chalet."

I emailed contiki and they said that I will have to ask my tour manager if we will have time….. but the thing is I don’t want to leave it that late.

I have a feeling there won’t be time with the schedule shown and it a must see on my list so I may have to choose a different tour.

If anyone has recently been on the Euro Adventurer could you please let me know if you
    had time to go and see any of the concerntration camps.

Thanks

Thanks

• 29 Apr 2010 Jaccles said

Default_avatar

Which Euro Adventurer Tour are you doing?
    I am doing the one starting on 25 June and would also like to see the concentration camp.

• 29 Apr 2010 Explorer1128723 said

Default_avatar

Hey my tour starts on the 10 august. Yeah I really hope there is time to see it when we stop in Munich. I have booked my trip already but only paid the deposit, don’t really want to change trips but it is something I really want to see so may have to.

• 29 Apr 2010 Jaccles said

Default_avatar

I have heard it depends on the tour group. if there is time and enough people who want to do the tour then they will definately stop there

There is no reason why if the participants of the tour got out of the campsite earlier enough that they couldn’t go there

• 30 Apr 2010 amanda said

amanda

I did the Euro Adventurer last summer, you will not have enough time to visit the camp yourself….you barely get anytime in Munich as it is. But our tour manager did take us to Mauthausen in Austria as it was something that our group was very interested in seeing.

I had a hard time deciding on a tour but I loved the Euro Adventurer and was so happy I picked it!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.