Community_discussions_small  

Question

Helicopter Ride over grand Canyon?

22 Nov 2009 Nicci G asked

Default_avatar
Hello everyone

Has anyone done the Helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon? Is it worth it?

Any other recommendations for the Grand Canyon?

Thanks

Nicci
  • 23 Nov 2009 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Hi Nicci,

I did the Helicopter ride when I went and to be honest I was pretty disappointed..It wasn’t the canyon itself it was the helicopter that made it bad..I hadn’t seen the Canyon before the flight so I was pretty excited but when we went over I could hardly see out the window, it was a bit dirty and you could only really see out the side you’re sitting on…If you get the seat up the front I think it would be better..but It was still good to see it from the air so I don’t regret doing it..

When I went to the rim with the group to watch the sunset that’s when I was truly blown away it was incredible, you really don’t grasp the true size and beauty of it until you’re standing right on the edge..breathtaking!

Hope that helps! Enjoy :-D

• 30 Nov 2009 skaifie said

skaifie

i was there in the winter and our helicopter ride was canned due to weather but that was all good – saved on the $$$

I can be one of only a few to say i have seen the grand canyon in snow – beautiful BUT i am bussing it from vegas this time and fingers crossed now snow this time

Its really up to you – personal opinion and $$ really. If you have it set you want to do it…DO IT because later on you may regret it and say to your self “i WISH i had done it” so if you really are set on doing it DO IT dont convince yourself to change your mind

• 2 Dec 2009 Meaghan said

Meaghan

If you have the money I would recommend doing the heli hike. Not sure if that’s an option for your trip?

It is quite expensive but is so worth it. You get to spend most of the day in the Canyon with the option of horse riding as well.

It was really beautiful down there. There was about three different areas with waterfalls and the locals were really friendly.

• 15 Dec 2009 nichbri said

Default_avatar

Do it! I did the 45min one, best money spent ever!

• 16 Dec 2009 Cruisey said

Cruisey

okay, stupid question but has anyone done it that isn’t that great with heights?lol
    I’m ok with flying, I was ok climbing the effiel tower and looking out from that.
    I’m not sure how i’d go though. I don’t want it to be one of those things I regret not doing Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 16 Dec 2009 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

I did the 30 minute flight and it was really beautiful. Time went really fast, but i definaately recommend it. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Dec 2009 Kylie133 said

Default_avatar

I did the 45 min flight while I was there. It was the highlight of that part of the trip.

I’m not that great a flyer, I took my motion sick tablets before I went up and was fine. Seeing it from the rim is nothing compared to the sky.

As for the heli-hike, at the time of our trip it wasn’t an option and from what I understand won’t be for the forseable future.

• 26 Dec 2009 caja13 said

caja13

Do it, do it do it!!!

I was lucky enough to score the seat next to the pilot on my 45 min flight. That moment where you first go over the canyon was the highlight of my trip, my number one moment.

I don’t really like flying but it was worth it. I went in June and it got quite warm so take water with you.

• 31 Dec 2009 Katie_83 said

Katie_83

No question about this one – just do it!
    An amazing experience, you do not get anything like the view from the rim and it’s hard to see how big it really is unless you see it from above.
    The 45min one is a lot better value for money – you see so much more. Don’t go all that way and be stingy and miss it.

• 2 Jan 2010 Grace 17/7/09 said

Grace 17/7/09

Do it, The helicopter ride was stunning and was a pretty smooth flight, and when we landed in the canyon, it was beautiful so peaceful and the champagne lunch was nice they had little individual picnic baskets so nicely done would definitely recommend it.
    Although I felt sorry for our pilot he had to listen to us sing, he was really nice and made our flight that bit more enjoyable.

• 10 Jan 2010 Cali Kay said

Default_avatar

I have a friend who works the helicopter in the Grand Canyon and while walking the rim is great the helicopter tour gave the view and they provide some history along with the tour. The front seat is definetly the best!!!

• 2 Feb 2010 MICHELLE said

Default_avatar

I’ve heard it’s a waste of money. I’m doing the BEST of USA tour in 2011 and on one of my free days in vegas I am booking a day tour through viator to the grand canyon..

• 6 Feb 2010 retronym said

retronym

its well worth it! dont do the short one, atleast do the middle length one!

• 9 Feb 2010 Mel said

Mel

I’ve been to the grand canyon- not with contiki but on a family holday… was he most amazing experience ever. we did a helicopter and a boat ride on the river highly recommend

• 14 Apr 2010 Danica Jane said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by megz:
    If you have the money I would recommend doing the heli hike. Not sure if that’s an option for your trip?

It is quite expensive but is so worth it. You get to spend most of the day in the Canyon with the option of horse riding as well.

It was really beautiful down there. There was about three different areas with waterfalls and the locals were really friendly.

I did this and absolutely hated it. The locals were pretty rude to us and just pointed to some path and that was it. I’ve been told the locals can be pretty hit and miss.

Don’t be swayed either way though, you may go and have an awesome time!

But if you’re heart is set on doing an option don’t let anything stop you.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.