Community_discussions_small  

Question

Who's doing Vietnam early 2014?

18 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell asked

Rhys Halliwell

I'm thinking of doing a Vietnam tour in either late February, March. Maybe even April. I'll be traveling solo and would like to hear from anyone else going around this time.

• 18 Jan 2014 TessaClare said

TessaClare

Hi Rhys
    I am doing Vietnam experience on 12 `April to 23rd… really excited!! I know we meet up with the vietnam highlights tour that starts on 14 April- that tour skips the mekong delta part of my tour… I did Asian Adventure two years ago and LOVED it! cant wait to get to Vietnam. Look on the website for the listed departure dates of tours and then Search for dates in the search bar – will lead you to where potential fellow travellers are chatting

• 19 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell said

Rhys Halliwell

Yea ill probably end up doing the Experience too since I really want to check out the Mekong. Have you joined your meet up group yet? I’m just curious as to the demographics that tend to make up the Asia tours.

• 19 Jan 2014 TessaClare said

TessaClare

Its still really far in advance for my april tour so my meet up does not have that many members yet. I remember with my previous contiki that our group chatted more on this discussion forum than in our meet up- but I think contiki advertise the meet up better now. I only booked a month before then as well, quite a few only booked late.
    On my first Asia tour – 20 people, from Australia, South Africa, America, Canada and England. Afraid it didnt extend beyond those nationalities – but people from all types of backgrounds. Nothing like the “type” of people who go on the Euro contiki tours (if that is what you were worried about ;) .. Also a lot of solo travellers (which is why they did the tour, for the company factor). The asia tours rely a lot on using public transport and local guides, so you really do get a feel for what it is like to travel Asia, which was really really cool. Actually in countries like Laos contiki cannot operate as a “tour company” as such, your contiki guide is a manager for the group and your guide is a local travel guide :)
    I think we ranged from 30 to 19, evenly spread throughout the decade. I think my group for this contiki now seem a bit older (25 plus) which I found quite unusual… hope this helps at all??

• 19 Jan 2014 Louise said

Louise

I’m doing the Vietnam experience tour on the 5th April :) Pretty pumped for it!

• 20 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell said

Rhys Halliwell

Hey Louise, how many Australians are doing your trip so far? Ive noticed a lot of contiki groups tend to be half full of Aussies a lot of the time. Nothing against my fellow countrymen but I always have a better time when the group is more diverse.

• 21 Jan 2014 Mehal said

Mehal

Hey mate, going on Vietnam highlights tour on the 10th Mar. I am from London Town!

• 21 Jan 2014 Louise said

Louise

Well at the moment there’s only about 4 people in the meetup thing. Me, an Australian and 2 English :)

• 21 Jan 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

Hey Mehal, my sister and I are doing the Vietnam Highlights tour too! We are from Aussie – not long now… getting excited :)

• 21 Jan 2014 Mehal said

Mehal

Awesome Jessica :), yup really looking forward to it!… Its winter here in the UK so looking forward to the sun of vietnam as well as the landscapes!

• 22 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell said

Rhys Halliwell

Well I might see you two if I do the Vietnam Experience tour starting on the 8th. I think they meet up. At this point it looks like I will probably go with the 1st of march or possibly the 4th. Anyone planning on staying in Hanoi for another night once the trip is done? I’m traveling to Bangkok for a few days after and wondering if I might wish I’d spent one more free night with my Contiki group before we all go our seperate ways.

• 23 Jan 2014 Mehal said

Mehal

unfortunately I will be flying back home on the same day after the tour ends :(

• 23 Jan 2014 TessaClare said

TessaClare

That’s a toughie – When my Contiki ended in London and I knew I was going to go stay with other friends of mine in London, I was fine to move on. Also the Contiki hotel in London is MASSIVE, you will mission to find everyone or have to pre arrange plans.
    When my Contiki ended in Siem Reap in this awesome & quite small hotel, with a great pool and cheap food and drinks ordered right to my sun lounger, I just wanted to chill out the rest of the day with 6 or so tour mates staying. I was so bummed to be leaving on the same day. It also was the last day of my holiday, I flew out that night.
    I am not sure what the hotel in Hanoi is like and if it has an area where you can chill out together/ easily find each other. May help to first ask you Meetup who is staying the extra night and see. If more than half are, go for it. If just a few and you still have other holiday plans to look forward to, then get on with that.

• 23 Jan 2014 Louise said

Louise

I’m staying an extra night in Hanoi before flying out to Hong Kong. When I did my Europe tour, we did all catch up when we got back and what not.

• 24 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell said

Rhys Halliwell

Yea im glad I stayed on in London but that was a bit different because the bus didn’t arrive back at the hotel until late in the afternoon, wheras vietnam tour ends in the morning with no need to travel anywhere else so i assume most people will get on a flight that day. I think I’d probably rather have another day in Bangkok than an extra night in Hanoi after everyone else has left.

• 28 Jan 2014 Explorer1193250 said

Default_avatar

just paid for Vietnam highlights march 13. arrive on the 7th. 25 from Australia :)

• 28 Jan 2014 Mo said

Mo

Hi Rhys. Australians loooove contiki so you’ll always find a few in every group. Im in the vietnam highlights group starting on the 14th of april so im probably gonna join up with Tessa and there are quiet a few South Africans on that one. Most ranging from 27 to 31 so most are a bit mature. the girls are a bit youngish like 25ish. dont worry about demographics. at the end of the day you dont know these people so its fun to meet new people in general.

• 29 Jan 2014 Rhys Halliwell said

Rhys Halliwell

Yea I know there’s lots of Aussies, I assume even more in Asia since its so close. I got really lucky with my European trip when I was the only Australian guy. I think I’m just going to go with the 1st of march and hope for the best. Sure ill have a good time no matter what.

• 29 Jan 2014 Mo said

Mo

Ya I also prefer to meet other nationalities since im mostly with south africans so it was a slight bummer to find that there were quiet a few south africans in the group but im excited non the less. they seem like great people. i hope you enjoy vietnam. 2.5 months left for me and counting :)

• 29 Jan 2014 missleilah said

missleilah

Anyone doing Vietnam Highlights on the 10 March?

• 29 Jan 2014 Mehal said

Mehal

Hi Missleilah, I will be on that tour! Look forward to meeting you. Where are you coming from?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.