Community_discussions_small  

Question

Do you tip everyone?? Who should I tip?

8 Mar 2007 Steve asked

Default_avatar
Hi guys,

I'm getting mixed responses from people, who exactly should I tip and how much should I tip? I'm doing the Grand Southern tour.

Do I tip the bus drivers? the hotel staff? bar and resaurant staff? shop assistants? Etc, Etc??

your help would be greatly apreciated.

cheers,

sam
  • 8 Mar 2007 Pervy said

Pervy

Hi guys, I did the Wild Western a few years ago and will be doing the Grand Northern in a few months, our tour guide gace us advice on who we should tip on our first day on the bus.
    I just gave tips to bar and restaurant staff but check your restaurant bill to make sure the tip hasn’t already been added. I tipped bar staff about $1 per drink to start with then about 50cents which is what our tour manager told us.

• 9 Mar 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Ahhhh, the elusive tip question is back! Here is some info I had posted on another thread which might help:

Yes, you’re right about the sit-down meal part. If you sit down to a meal the tip should be at least 10%, up to about 20%, if you have had exceptional service.

Check your bill before you leave a tip though, some bills will actually include the tip in them and so, if you leave more you’ve actually given them double!

Places like Starbucks/small souveniour shops/etc don’t require you to leave a tip.

If you’re in a bar/pub then yes, again. You should generally leave a dollar or two to the bartender and make sure you do! If not, you will be waiting a very, very long time for your next bevie! Funnily enough they know who hasn’t tipped and they tend to spread the word amongst themselves so, they won’t be back your way if you don’t!

Taxi drivers again, yes. I generally just rounded up. If it was $7 I left $10…something like that. Use your judgement I guess. We only didn’t tip one cabbie because he got lost and had stopped for what seemed like an eternity to check the map thus racking up needless extra dollars for himself!

Same for bus drivers – ie: if you’re doing a day tour or city tour – leave them a couple of bucks before you hop off too.

TM/Driver again, yes. Generally Contiki says that you should tip about $1-$2 per day for your TM and the same again for your driver. Having said that, if you’re on a longer trip you could be up for an extra $US100 or so. I do think that most people don’t leave that much though. I know heaps of people who have just left a token gesture, maybe $US20-$US30 as tip for the TM/Driver.

If a hotel porter has helped you with your suitcases or something then I would leave a dolalr or two to him. For just general help by hotel staff I wouldn’t. That’s their job!

Hope that helps!

• 9 Mar 2007 Steve said

Default_avatar

thanks, anyone else got anything to add? would love to know as much as possible. thanks

• 15 Mar 2007 Ginam650 said

Default_avatar

When you are at a restaurant we usually tip 15% on the food. If you are in a party of 8 or more they USUALLY add the gratuity in. If you aren’t sure if the gratuity is included just ask the waiter, they will let you know. Bar staff you should also tip like 1.00 for the first drink, then whatever you want after that.

All the other stuff you asked about tipping is up to you but not needed.

• 16 Mar 2007 laurathistle said

Default_avatar

This may sound like a dumb question.

When leaving a tip do you take the change back first then leave the tip, say on the bar or when paying (say it costs $8.50) do you say something like “just take £10?”

• 18 Mar 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by laurathistle:

When leaving a tip do you take the change back first then leave the tip, say on the bar or when paying (say it costs $8.50) do you say something like “just take £10?”

lol. I couldnt understand a word of that. :P

• 29 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar
    quote:

I think I know what you meant. I ususally would just say give me back however many dollars, the rest is their tip. So say I want to leave a $2 on an $8 price, and say I handed the guy a $20 bill, I would just ask for $10 back.

In restaurants, we try so we don’t have to wait to get change back. This usually adds on a few extra cents, but it’s not that big a deal. Sometimes you can’t because your bill that you’re paying with is too large, so when you get the change back, just leave it on the table when you leave.

• 1 Apr 2007 Lieblingx said

Default_avatar

Tip waiters, hotel staff (porters and cleaning staff) and cab drivers. If you’re happy with their services, it’s common to tip 10-15% which you can round up or down. As for bartenders, tip one dollar the first drink and then maybe just round up the rest (ie: $3.60 to $4, $4 to $4.50, etc).
    However, you do not tip in coffee shops (unless you’re waited on) and fast food places.

• 1 Apr 2007 Lieblingx said

Default_avatar
    quote:

Either or. You could say, “Just make it $20.” Or if they’re extremely busy just let them bring the change and you leave however much you would like.

• 5 Apr 2007 Rebecca said

Default_avatar
    quote:

I understood that! I don’t know the first thing about tipping. If my bill comes to $7.50 and i pay with a $10.00 note, will they give me the full $2.50 change (so I can decide on the amount for their tip) or would they just keep the entire amount, or take out their own tip and then give me the left-over cash

I don’t wanna look like a scrooge by asking, "Hey, where’s my change
    "

• 12 Apr 2007 Rebecca said

Default_avatar

What about in Supermarkets and places like Walmart?? do you tip there? or just in restaurants??

I don’t think I could possibly tip someone who delivered appauling service, I work in customer service, and it’s not hard to be friendly!

• 12 Apr 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rebecca:
    What about in Supermarkets and places like Walmart?? do you tip there? or just in restaurants??

No, just in restaurants, bars & cafes as well as bus drivers, taxi drivers, tour guides – anyone that provides you with a service.

• 13 Apr 2007 Rebecca said

Default_avatar

AWESOME!!
    I can’t wait to go to Walmart, it sounds like the greatest store on earth!!

• 8 May 2007 Crystal The Coolest said

Default_avatar

Hey there. I was just browsing around, and since I live here in USA, I say firstly, stay away from Walmart. It’s a mad house! Target is the way to go. Secondly… I pretty much only tip in restaurants. Just double the tax instead of whipping out the calculator. That’s what everyone here does. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 May 2007 guitrchik3 said

Default_avatar

WHOA WHOA WHOA…as a waitress myself let’s fix this! Common tip for service is 18%! No 10%! We make $2.63 AN HOUR! Your tour brochures give you a guide for how much to tip the driver and the tour manager ($2 USD a day I think it was). Leaving bartenders $1 per drink is great unless you are drinking something crazy, the standard remains 18%. You may tip hotel staff a few dollars for carrying luggage, and taxi drivers as well. If you hit a small coffee shop or something and there is a tip jar out you can leave money at your discretion. You do NOT tip people at any sort of retail stores- you crazy kids!
    In restaurants as far as leaving the tip…check your bill. Generally large parties have a 15-18% gratuity added (especially when it’s large parties or tourists) if not, just pay as normal. If your bill is $17 and you put down $20 the waiter or waitress will bring back your change unless you tell them otherwise. If you need them to break a large bill like a $20 specifically to leave as a tip, someone will change it for you. PLEASE don’t forget that in the US/Canada servers and bartenders often make less than $3 an hour! Hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 May 2007 Lindsay M said

Default_avatar

Okay I’m going to ditto for restaurant service, unless you have had the worst service in your life do NOT leave 10%. 15% is considered the minimum. If you want to be considered a good tipper then stick to 20%. But never tip less than $2. The idea for waiters/waitresses is that they get paid for how good of a job they do, so their base wage is very low as already said. (On a side note, if you are going to have a large party bring cash with you just in case, some restaurants will not split the bill and you’ll have to figure it out on your own.)

As for bartenders, its customary to tip $1 for your first drink if you’re using cash and then either a $1 every other after that or $1 on everyone. You will get far better service the more you tip at the bar and if its busy it may be worthwhile.

Tip your taxi drivers, rounding up is good for this.

If you are staying in the same hotel for awhile then tip your maid service and they’ll be good to you. If you use a bell boy then tip them $2.

Girls, if you somehow manage to have time to get a manicure/pedicure/eyebrows waxed anything like that then they expect to be tipped.

The 15-20% rule basically works whenever you’re in doubt about how much.

• 5 Jun 2007 parraeels83 said

Default_avatar

be sure to tip me lol na all of the above stuff is right but when i went to europe last year our tour manager said to tip them but wen we stopped off for lunch in netherlands i went to give the girl a tip but she said they wernt allowed to so i dont know some places they can others they dont

• 8 Jun 2007 Michael said

Default_avatar

I only tip people who have done an extraordinary job at whatever service they have provided me. I live in Canada, where many people simply tip because they believe it is common place. Not me!! It is not my responsibility to pay wages to employees when I am already contributing to keeping that business in business. That responsibility lies with the management or ownership.
    Tipping is not mandatory, and I would never tip a cabbie (already a huge mark-up)

• 9 Jun 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115
    quote:
    Originally posted by guitrchik3:
    WHOA WHOA WHOA…as a waitress myself let’s fix this! Common tip for service is 18%! No 10%! We make $2.63 AN HOUR!

Your tour brochures give you a guide for how much to tip the driver and the tour manager ($2 USD a day I think it was). Leaving bartenders $1 per drink is great unless you are drinking something crazy, the standard remains 18%. You may tip hotel staff a few dollars for carrying luggage, and taxi drivers as well. If you hit a small coffee shop or something and there is a tip jar out you can leave money at your discretion. You do NOT tip people at any sort of retail stores- you crazy kids!
    In restaurants as far as leaving the tip…check your bill. Generally large parties have a 15-18% gratuity added (especially when it’s large parties or tourists) if not, just pay as normal. If your bill is $17 and you put down $20 the waiter or waitress will bring back your change unless you tell them otherwise. If you need them to break a large bill like a $20 specifically to leave as a tip, someone will change it for you. PLEASE don’t forget that in the US/Canada servers and bartenders often make less than $3 an hour! Hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Very good outline of tipping. If anyone happens to be flying out of a US airport with curb side check-in, it’s often much easier and sometimes faster – they get $2 a bag if you want your luggage to meet you on the other side.

If you’re in a bar and want good service, give extra money – $10 or $20 at the beginning of the night, you’ll always have a drink.

• 13 Jun 2007 Michael said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by guitrchik3:
    WHOA WHOA WHOA…as a waitress myself let’s fix this! Common tip for service is 18%! No 10%! We make $2.63 AN HOUR!

PLEASE don’t forget that in the US/Canada servers and bartenders often make less than $3 an hour! Hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

THis is not true. I Canada, servers generally make minimum wage ($7.25-$8.00). If they aren’t make MINIMUM wage, they are crazy for not reporting their establishment to the Labour board. Again, only tip for extraordinary service. I wouldn’t suggest tipping a Cab driver. To put things in perspective. The average Cab driver in Vancouver, makes over $200/shift. With many making over $300/shift.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion