Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to expect? (first contiki tour)

20 Jun 2010 Explorer1135263 asked

Default_avatar
Im from australia about to go on my first contiki tour, getting nervous! what can i expect on the tour??

Im going for 5 weeks? are we expected to party hard every single night?
Girl/Guy ratio?
How many other groups do we bump into on the way?
Im missing the pre departure meeting, is that a problem?

anything else would be awesome! thanks
  • 13 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

Wow! Well clearly Tracy didn’t enjoy her tour… sorry to hear you had a bad experience Tracy. But maybe this wasn’t the best place to post your review. You’d probably be better off posting it on the tour’s “reviews” section, or even email it to Contiki directly, so they can consider your comments. The original poster was just looking for advice on his/her first Contiki trip, don’t scare them off!

So with that said… I did my first tour in May and I absolutely LOVED it. I loved it so much that as soon as I got home, I looked on the website to decide what my next tour would be! I went solo and had the time of my life. I was nervous about going alone, but it really wasn’t a big deal – usually, at least half of Contiki’s travelers go solo. It’s a bit scary at first, having to introduce yourself to everyone, but once the ice is broken, you’ll have a brand new group of friends! Since you’re going on a longer tour, your group will become like your family.

There are no “expectations” when it comes to partying – it’s completely up to you. If you want to party every night, go for it! But you’re certainly not required to do so.
    It’s my understanding that most tours have a higher percentage of females to males, but it really depends on the individual group. No two tours are ever exactly the same. Regardless, you’ll probably hang out with a mixed group. On my tour, I had a group of friends and we were 4 females, 2 males.
    You might run into some other Contiki groups along the way, but it’s hard to determine if/when that’ll happen. It’s not really a main focus anyway… it’s usually just a cool coincidence, and you don’t get a whole lot of time to hang out with other groups.
    It’s not a problem that you’re missing the meeting, just as long as you let your tour manager know in advance. That’s something you’ll need to talk to Contiki about, so maybe give them a call when the tour gets closer so the TM won’t worry about you.

Other than that, my advice is just to have fun and live it up! The tour is what YOU make of it. Don’t worry too much about the little things… let loose and go with the flow. If you expect everything to be perfect, you’ll just be disappointed. So make friends, have a great time, go out of your comfort zone, try new things! If you see something you like, buy it! Remember that this is your vacation and it can be as awesome or as horrible as you want it to be. Make the most of your time in Europe, and I can guarantee that when you get home, you’ll want to go right back and do it all over again. :)

• 17 Oct 2012 Kiwi_Jess said

Kiwi_Jess

I went on my first contiki in June ( contrasts) and I had the time of my life!!! I went solo and the first couple days I was thinking oh my god, because there were so many groups! But everyone was friendly and we are all still talking on Facebook now… Organising catch ups and trips!!
    Contiki is really whatever you want it to be… There is always the group who go hard every night, but there are also the people who drink every 2/3 nights or just the party nights… It’s all good :)
    Accommodation: if your doing concept, the majority are ok/good. They are what you pay for really… Rome was our worst but I heard tell that contiki are rethinking that place because they had SOOOO many complaints about bed bugs, faulty electricity, burglaries. But all in all its just a place to sleep… Use the lockers for important documents nd extra cash just in case the place is robbed… But it shouldn’t be!
    Travelling: it’s always best to chose a tour with a free day every 2nd day otherwise you feel like you don’t see anything! The person above was complaining about having to go to the shops that on tiki want you to go to, but its all optional! You can go to them or start your free day earlier. But if you do want Venetian glass or Swarovski crystals then go cos they usually have a deal… And definitely go to the schnapps museum in Vienna! It is early mornings but seriously you learn to sleep on the bus! You kinda get to the point where when ever you get in. Moving vehicle you’ll start dozing off lol!! We had a couple 5am coming homes only to be on the coach at 7!
    Don’t overpack… You seriously won’t use it all!
    Look at the ‘what I wish I knew’. Forum page… It’s gold!
    Ratio: ours was almost 50:50 with a few more girls, and. Bus load of the most amazing 52 people! We had 8 kiwis, 4 Canadians, 1south Korean (he became our pet… Don’t under-estimate them!) and the rest were you bloody Australians :)
    I’ve now been on 2 contikis and a couple other tour companies… Nd already planning next years travels!

Have an AMAZING time, do all the optionals, and LIVE LIFE!!! You’ll only go on your first once :D
    Enjoy!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion