Question

Whirl 5 June 2008???

14 Feb 2008 Nadia asked

Nadia
Hi guys,

Anyone doing the one above??
  • 25 Mar 2008 jj said

Default_avatar

yes i am going on this tour.my name is joe and i am from perth australia.

• 25 Mar 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Hi Joe,

Nice to meet you. I was starting to get worried!! Thought no-one else was going on this tour! I am from Johannesburg South Africa and 25. This will be my first time in Europe Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Hopefully we get some other responses too… Only just over 2 months to go.

• 8 Apr 2008 WoonHa said

Default_avatar

Hey guys, i’m going European Whirl on 5th June, too. I’m from Seoul, South Korea. There wouldn’t be many Asians but i already joined the club! lol woonhat@gmail.com is my mail adress, feel free to contact~

• 11 Apr 2008 jj said

Default_avatar

nice to meet you both.there doesnt seem to be a lot of people going on this tour its good to finally meet someone.this is also my first time to europe and i cant wait.are you guys staying at the royal national hotel before the tour starts?

• 14 Apr 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Yes, I am. I am going to be there for 3 nights before..arriving on the Monday 2nd of June. Want to spend those 3 days exploring a bit of London. You?

• 14 Apr 2008 jj said

Default_avatar

yeh i arrive on the monday too.i want to check out london and get to know a few people before we set off on this once in a lifetime experience.getting close now and cant wait!!

• 15 Apr 2008 ab88 said

Default_avatar

hey everyone.. i took the longest time to decide on a trip and even signed up for a completely different tour, but ive finally made my way here. def looks like to be a great trip. also if you guys were wondering where other people are, there’s another thread on this board “Whirl June 3rd” I think and thats the same tour as this. For US and Canada, contiki puts the tour dates down 2 days earlier to include our travel time. June 3 and June 5 are the same trips. Both end June 22.

• 21 Apr 2008 WoonHa said

Default_avatar

June 3rd is same one as June 5th! Thanks for your info! I gotta go check that trip, too. I arrive on the day before trip, actually. 4th. But i spend one day at japan! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Hope to see you guys at Royal national hotel! However, how can i notice you guys? lol

• 23 Apr 2008 sehohner said

sehohner

hey everyone, im Steph from british columbia, Canada. I cant wait to go, it looks like an awesome trip! I get into London on the morning on June 4, hopefully ill meet up with some of you before the dinner! i am pretty sure i am staying at the royal national hotel before the tour, anyone else staying there?

• 24 Apr 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Hi Steph. I am at Royal National from the 2nd allready and will also be looking to hook up with some of you guys. I have some friends in London, but none that want to do the tourist thing!!!

• 25 Apr 2008 sehohner said

sehohner

Oh I will definately be wanting to poke around every part of London that I can. Hopefully we meet up somewhere so we can go tourist!
    And WoonHa, ill be putting some recent pictures up on my contiki profile, so if you want to take a look at those sometime before the trip you might recognize me when in London. Its always good to recognize at least one other person, i know it is for me haha

• 27 Apr 2008 WoonHa said

Default_avatar

Definitely, Steph! Are you using Facebook or Myspace? Anybody? Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I can add you on that or vice versa. I’m in South Korea network, and just type ‘woon ha’ then it’s me. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Bytheway, i’m arriving Heathrow Airport at 2:40, 4th of June. I guess i can only join dinner if there’re people chilling at Royal National. Hope i have some time to look around the city, tho!

• 28 Apr 2008 sehohner said

sehohner

Right on. I use Facebook, and im under the Kelowna, BC network i am pretty sure. Stephanie Hohner. I think I arrive in london late morning of the 4th, i havent gotten my documents yet and i forget what time my flight comes in..but they will be coming very soon. I am pretty sure that i am staying at royal national as well, but ill let ya know when i get my documents!

• 8 May 2008 jj said

Default_avatar

everybodys gone a bit quite on this site.are we starting to get excited people?not long now!

• 10 May 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Of course!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!! Exchanged my currency this week and also did a bit of shopping yesterday – lots of batteries for my camera as well as extra SD cards for all the photo’s!!

• 11 May 2008 jj said

Default_avatar

cool!its good to see someone getting excited.i am going to be exchanging some money this week too.hey where are you from?are you travelling with someone?

• 11 May 2008 sehohner said

sehohner

I am so excited. I guess I should go exchange some money soon haha, I was wondering how much of each currency to get? Some British pounds, lots of euros, travellers cheques? i think euros are taken everywhere we go but im not sure…someone also told me not to take out too much cash because there are ATM machines everywhere where you can get money out of your account with a debit card. hopefully! and a question for anyone…when they say bring “going out” dress and shoes, what qualifies? just a nice dress or something? i dont want to get anything too fancy

• 12 May 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Hey Joe. I am from Johannesburg in South Africa. I am going on my own. So hopefully some of us that is in London for a couple of days can meet up and see the sights. I have two main criteria for London – that is Madame Taussauds – the wax museum (and ideally you shouldn’t go alone here, because this is one of the places that is nice to get someone else to take photo’s of you with all the “famous waxes”!!). Then I also want to go on a bus top tour of London. From what I have heard from people who have been before, this is a great way to see the most famous sights in one go. Like I said before…this is my first time to Europe. I will also be arriving in London on Monday – same as you I think?

Steph, check on Contikipedia. There are articles about budgeting for your trip. This helped me a lot in deciding how much money to take. I am in London for three full days, so I won’t be able to help you with how much you’ll need, as you are only there for one night, right? So I suppose you shouldn’t take too much, the moment we cross on the ferry we will use Euro’s. I have only taken pounds and then Euro’s in travelers cheques. I am speaking under correction, but as far as I know Switzerland takes swiss franks. I decided that if that is the case, I will exchange my Euro’s for franks when we get there (If you have your Contiki documents allready…you’ll see that the optional excursions in Switzerland is quoted in that currency). There are a lot of articles on ATM’s etc. People have their own opinions – but I see they warn on the contiki documents not to only rely on Credit and Debit cards for money. Also – just check the fees they are going to charge you – it might not be worth it.

As far as going out dress is concerned – there are a lot of articles on that too. From what I have read – take neat sandles for going out shoes – high heels might be uncomfortable as sometimes you need to walk in them and some of the roads are cobbled stones – something you don’t want to attempt in stilletos!!! Then this is just a personal opinion, but I would take a pair of black pants (or a skirt if you want) and just a nice top or two. It is just for going to the cabaret or a show. I think they just want you to have something other than jeans and t-shirts! So whatever you would wear to a bit fancier restaurant or a show back home. That is what I am going to do.

• 20 May 2008 Nadia said

Nadia

Okay guys…time to start counting the days!!

• 22 May 2008 usc_tyler said

Default_avatar

Hey guys-

How are you planning to get from the airport in London to the hotel? I wouldn’t mind waiting for a few people at Heathrow if you want to share a cab ride to the hotel. Or do you think it would be easy to catch a ride on the tube? I get into Heathrow on the 4th at 10 a.m. Anyone else get in around then?

Tyler

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion