Community_discussions_small  

Question

Egypt and the Nile

21 Jan 2014 TBryHoff asked

TBryHoff

Is anyone else out there considering doing this tour (or the Euro tour that includes the Egypt add-on) in the June/July 2014 time frame? Egypt has always been on my bucket list, and while some of these tours needed to be cancelled last year due to the unrest, after reading all the reviews of people that actually did make it on this tour, I am completely convinced I need to do it! I've talked to Contiki and they said they are monitoring everything real closely, but are certain to resume trips here beginning in April and also will completely refund everything if the trip needs to be cancelled for whatever reason (nor would they ever let a trip go off if they had any concern). A friend and I were considering the June 28 tour but could be flexible. Would love to know though that enough people are signing up for a tour to make it go off if everything in Egypt stays settled down. This trip just seems way too amazing to pass up so let me know if you are considering it and we can try to coordinate dates to ensure it becomes a definite departure!

• 8 Jul 2014 Erin J said

Erin J

Hi, did you end up going on this tour? Because I’m looking at going next year 2015

• 8 Jul 2014 TBryHoff said

TBryHoff

Hi there! funny you should ask that right now as I’m currently on Contiki I did end up booking! Lol I’m in Vietnam and did the China tour before it. Egypt was plan A but Contiki delayed resuming the tour. It’s still the top choice for me next year though so would love to plan it! When were you looking to go?

• 10 Jul 2014 Erin J said

Erin J

I was hoping to go over there during springtime, so when it’s Autumn here is Aus.

• 12 Jul 2014 TBryHoff said

TBryHoff

Yea, I think that’s a good time. I typically have to travel during my summer as it’s easier to get out of work, but after being in southeast Asia in the summer sauna, I’d like to avoid the peak heat season and go earlier in the year as well. I could probably plan for April or May at the earliest. Were you looking to just do Egypt or the big Euro trip plus Egypt? First Contiki?

• 12 Jul 2014 Erin J said

Erin J

I am looking at doing the ultimate European plus Egypt tour. First time travelling out of Aus! And I’ll be going alone…bit nervous!

• 12 Jul 2014 TBryHoff said

TBryHoff

Oh don’t be! Yes, Egypt is a little more scary than elsewhere but if you are doing it with the Euro trip, you don’t have to worry about arriving alone as you’ll already be on tour with the manager and group. I was a little nervous on my first trip as well but Contiki truly is amazing, especially for solo travelers. I’ve done five now and four were on my own. From the very first night, you’ll meet great people and have instant friends you very well might keep in touch with for life. Trust me, you do one Contiki and you’ll be hooked!

• 18 Jul 2014 Bailey said

Bailey

I’m booked on the Egypt/Nile cruise for December 20, but given what’s going on in the general area right now, I’m beginning to seriously doubt whether the trip is going to go.

• 18 Jul 2014 Erin J said

Erin J

Well, keep us updated Bailey!

• 3 Sep 2014 Mick8 said

Mick8

Hey all! Was wondering if anyone is planning to do the Egypt and the Nile trip on the march 2015 date?? I really want to do it but a bit worried in case further trouble kicks off as I’m travelling alone. I have travelled with contiki several times before so trust them completely but just nervous about the thought of travelling there myself and being there a day before trip starts. Would love to hear if anyone has been on the trip recently or thinking of doing this trip in March.

• 4 Sep 2014 TBryHoff said

TBryHoff

Hi there Mick! I don’t think anyone can speak to having gone on this trip recently. It has been suspended for well over a year now I think. They had originally planned on resuming it a few months back when I had planned to go, but pushed it back again around March. The first trip looks like it is set to resume this Saturday and it is still listed as a definite departure which is great news! I know Contiki would not resume things unless they were absolutely certain we would be safe. I think I will always be a little nervous about Cairo, but the rest of the trip seems to be away from where trouble has occured.

Assuming Contiki keeps this trip going, some friends and I are targeting the June 13 date (I know, it’ll be ridiculously hot!) so if you go in March, you’ll have to let us know how it went! We are also planning on booking a two day, one night trip to Alexandria from Cairo and back starting the day Contiki ends, then heading from Cairo to Jordan for a few days. Some of us may even continue on to do Croatia Contiki June 26 (obviously I have been putting a lot of thought into this for over a year now! hah). Would love to know if anyone else is considering this date and would want to join in on our added adventures.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.