Community_discussions_small  

Comment

places to see in UK

8 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar
hey all,
doing the may 7th great britain and ireland tour and staying on for 2 weeks afterwards to get some extra sightseeing done. not sure where to go and what to see.. definitely doing oxford university and madam tassauds wax museum but not sure what else to do. let me know your ideas.
thanks heaps,
bek
  • 10 Jan 2010 Jade-Marie said

Default_avatar

hello bek,
    im from the uk and have soo many better places to recommend to you!!!
    most tourists only see the tacky expensive stuff in central london but there are far nicer places to visit (i wouldn’t recommend madame tussaud, its frankly a waste of money and london dungeons etc but if you do decide to go book online its cheaper and you don’t have to que), there are some great areas of london to explore, portobello market is lovely on a nice day, camden is great too, or why not go to a secret cinema (secretcinema.org) evening instead of a musical where you will be with english people not a hoard of tourists. there’s tons of different stuff to do in london that doesnt cost as much as the disappointing tourist attractions.
    Outside of london DEFINATELY go to Brighton, there are direct trains from london victoria and its a town worth a couple of days, theres always loads going on from comedy to music and there’s lots of history and sights there too.
    i don’t know how far you want to travel but theres plenty to see in Cardiff, its a great city.
    i hope this helps to get you started, im sure you’ll have a wicked trip whatever you do (i do have more suggestions though if you want them!)
    Jade-Marie

• 10 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

let me have em then… i want to see as much as i possibly can while im over there. whatever you recommend ill google anyways. gotta love google…

• 11 Jan 2010 Jaccles said

Default_avatar

Jade-Marie I agree with AussieBeksta… Please share what you would recommend doing while in London.
    I will be spending a few days in london before and after my tour in June and then August. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated… particularly any ways to get some cheap tickets to things.

thanks in advance
    Jac

• 11 Jan 2010 Jade-Marie said

Default_avatar

Ok then where do I start…
    In London all the biggest and best museums are free Tate modern, British museum, natural history museum etc and there definitely worth a quick visit even if you don’t want to spend all day. Also I think Westminster abbey is free too.
    As you’re both going in summer, London is a great place to walk around, it is easier than you think, I usually walk from oxford street after a spot of shopping, south down regent street towards Piccadilly circus and down through Trafalgar square, soho, Chinatown to covent garden, you can go via Buckingham palace too, some of the best restaurants/ cafes/ unique shops are down the small side streets and roads between big attractions and you see so much more than getting the tube everywhere, its really interesting. It will also save you a lot of money and get you everywhere in Westminster that are the kind of ‘must sees’. if you plan it right that is… (and it doesn’t take too long)
    If you want cheap tickets there’s a website discountbritain.net that someone recommended me but I have never actually used that gives you cheaper tickets, take a leaf out of aussiebeksta book and google discount tickets!
    Another great market is Greenwich market, its full of unique, antique and artsy stuff if you’re into that at all.
    Jac definitely go to Brighton after your tour, its worth seeing another piece of England as London is so different from everywhere else, its only an hour from London. Theres a hostel I always pass but don’t know how good it is but its in the perfect spot to explore brighton, its called the grapevine north laine. Its on the south coast and if its sunny it’s the best place to be!
    Aussiebeksta, have you got a rough idea of where you’re going to go in your two weeks? What sort of things do you want to see? How far do you want to go? Let me know and I’ll see what I can come up with outside of the London area…
    JM

• 11 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

ive googled some things and put them at the bottom. we dont wanna travel too far out maybe hour and a half out max. still need to find our way back in again afterwards. wont be doing the whole 2 weeks in london. my partner has family in portsmouth and scotland too so will be spending time over there. i just wanted an insiders opinion of whats good.

so far we want to see The London Aquarium, The London Eye, The British Museum, Buckingham Palace, Cabinet War Rooms, The London Dungeon, Kensington Palace, Madame Tussauds, Museum of London, The National Gallery, The Natural History Museum, The Science Museum, St Pauls Cathedral, The Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and London Zoo.

thats just stuff i found on google that took our fancy. could change our minds about some of it but like i said, id like a locals opinion too!

let me know what you think.

• 11 Jan 2010 DasheR said

Default_avatar

Thanks guys for this useful information. I can really start planning my trip in the UK. I am going in Winter however so it might be a little different.
    Something I recommend you do is a Westend Show =)

• 13 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

bump… any ideas on whats good to see in the uk??

• 20 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

bump… im definitely goin to the ripleys museum too… i didnt even know there was one (good old google!) any other ideas anyone??

• 25 Jan 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

thanks explorer. will check it out!

• 1 Feb 2010 Minxy said

Default_avatar

Thanks for this thread. I’m doing the UK and Ireland trip in April, and I’m staying for 3 weeks after the tour. This has given me some extra ideas about what I want to see.

• 1 Feb 2010 Candypop_Peach said

Default_avatar

Thank you all for your information, I will definitely look over this a few time when considering what I’m gonna do while I’m over.

I look forward to possibly reading some more great tips.

Again thank you for your detailed info

-Emma

• 4 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

oooooh i like bars! bars = alcohol! thanks adam!

• 4 Feb 2010 Vic said

Default_avatar

Another thing to consider is Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehenge. I did these on a day trip and it was great.

• 6 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

doing bath and stonehenge on my contiki but thanks for the windsor castle tip!!

• 9 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

lol. thanks! man, do i love google. its gonna make this soooo much easier!!

• 10 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

yeah i think im leanin towards that. heading in a general direction from the hotel and just doing whatever is in that particular direction!!

• 17 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

anyone else know of good places to see particularly in london…?? thinking about getting the london pass for free entry and some skip the line stuff..

• 17 Feb 2010 Jaccles said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by AussieBeksta:
    anyone else know of good places to see particularly in london…?? thinking about getting the london pass for free entry and some skip the line stuff..

I am also thinking about getting the London Pass… it works out so much cheaper

• 17 Feb 2010 Explorer1169658 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jade-Marie:
    hello bek,
    im from the uk and have soo many better places to recommend to you!!!
    most tourists only see the tacky expensive stuff in central london but there are far nicer places to visit (i wouldn’t recommend madame tussaud, its frankly a waste of money and london dungeons etc but if you do decide to go book online its cheaper and you don’t have to que), there are some great areas of london to explore, portobello market is lovely on a nice day, camden is great too, or why not go to a secret cinema (secretcinema.org) evening instead of a musical where you will be with english people not a hoard of tourists. there’s tons of different stuff to do in london that doesnt cost as much as the disappointing tourist attractions.
    Outside of london DEFINATELY go to Brighton, there are direct trains from london victoria and its a town worth a couple of days, theres always loads going on from comedy to music and there’s lots of history and sights there too.
    i don’t know how far you want to travel but theres plenty to see in Cardiff, its a great city.
    i hope this helps to get you started, im sure you’ll have a wicked trip whatever you do (i do have more suggestions though if you want them!)
    Jade-Marie
  • 17 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jaccles:
    quote:
    Originally posted by AussieBeksta:

I am also thinking about getting the London Pass… it works out so much cheaper

just got my great british heritage pass in the mail today….. so excited now!!! i think the london pass will work out to be a fine investment. lol. 11 weeks and ill be on my contiki…

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.