Community_discussions_small  

Comment

changing currencies

22 Jul 2010 leah_mh said

leah_mh
Hi folks....i am on the 25 day camping trip going through 9 different currencies.
euros of course is the main one.
is it best to take pounds or euros to exchange for the other countries??
are bank machines readily avail. to get cash out??
  • 22 Jul 2010 Shannon735 said

Shannon735

ATMs are everywhere for you to be able to take cash out in the currency you need. I’m doing a trip this summer and was able to get euros at my Canadian bank before leaving but will have to rely on ATM or exhange booths in Croatia to get kunas while there.

I did Greece/Turkey while on a Contiki last year and you can use euros while in Turkey (which I think that camping tour goes to if I’m looking at the right one…)

• 27 Aug 2010 Jamie-Lee said

Jamie-Lee

we were told to beware of prague because the will rip you off shockingly there so it is best to get the money from the bank. it doesnt matter the currency but if you take your nation currency it will be exchanfed everywhere over there also and then you do not have to convert the mmoney twice

• 2 Sep 2010 Explorer1175553 said

Default_avatar

GET SOME EURO CASH BEFORE YOU LEAVE LONDON!

Also get some crowns and francs if you are going to Prague and Switzerland as they don’t use euro. Trust me, the last thing you want to be worrying about on tour is changing money. Money changers are not always easy to find but atms are everywhere. I regret not organising my money better, it cost me alot of sightseeing time!!

• 6 Sep 2010 Bunty said

Bunty

I am doing the winter wanderer in dec/jan and most of the countries visited use euros so I just got a “travel card” from my bank, so all the money on the card is already in euros. I did the same for when I was in USA last year and it beats the hell out of currency conversion charges every time you need to get cash.

• 7 Sep 2010 said

Default_avatar

Just check which bank your home bank has agreements with overseas to allow cheaper or free transactions for their customers and withdrawl from ATM’s.

Don’t use currency exchange services, and I mean this even before the trip. There are ATM’s in every airport I have been to, and the surcharge there is likely still less than the fee the exchangers are going to throw at you.

• 7 Mar 2011 KateB said

KateB

so no Euros in Switzerland? can you just load francs onto your travel money card or do you have to convert euros to francs once you get there?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion