Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Camera...

23 May 2008 jess said

jess
I'm going to Europe for the first time ever in September. I have a decent digital camera, but I'm looking to get something more advanced so I can take great pictures. Can anyone recommend a really good digital camera that they have or know of??? Budget $300 - $600?
  • 23 May 2008 Kirijane123 said

Default_avatar

Get the olympus all weather camera – that is waterproof and shock proof etc – I have one and they are great! I wouldn’t go sony unless you have a sony laptop (if you use a laptop) because you can’t put the memory card into any other laptop (you have to use the cords) and because you can only buy sony memory cards. Sony sure did have the right idea in making sure that people end up only buying their products!!

• 23 May 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

It depends on whether or not you wanna go with a point & shoot or a SLR. SLR will by far take the best photos, I think you can pick up a nice Canon SLR for around $500-$600. If you wanted to go for a point & shoot go with a Canon G9 for sure, best p&s camera out there, I think it should run around $400-$500 or so. SLR’s will take better photos, but can be on the bulky side. Personally, I’m taking my G9 for convience and lack of attention from the pickpockets.

• 24 May 2008 Kirijane123 said

Default_avatar

What I mean about the laptop is that most newer laptops have SD or XD readers so you can just put your memory card in there instead of bothering with cords etc…so I have a toshiba laptop and can just put the memory card straight into there…with sony they don’t have a xd or sd reader – just a sony card reader which is often quite annoying…
    I’m not saying sony is bad in anyway I just recommend Olympus – All weather because frome experience they are great and that budget would be fine for it…

• 27 May 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar

check out the fuji s8000fd or fuji s8100fd.

I’m taking that camera with me, it works wonders. The manual settings are amazing if you know how to use them and the camera has an 18x optical zoom. It is borderline SLR, but not an SLR if that makes sense. It isn’t a small camera that can fit in a pocket, but it really is nothing short of spectacular. I think the updated s8100fd is now in 10 megapixels where as the s8000fd was 8.1mp.

• 28 May 2008 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

It really depends on what you think you’ll need from your camera.

Do you want to get photos with incredible quality? Get a dSLR, but be prepared to carry a fair amount of equipment & practice changing lenses as quickly as possible.

Want a camera that you can slip into a smaller bag or pocket? Get a compact camera, most have quick start up times so you can whip it out and get that spontaneous snap. Also won’t have as much attention from thieves and much easier to use than a dSLR.

The canon G9 and fujis mentioned in previous posts are fantastic cameras for their manual controls – but are bulkier than most point-and-shoot cameras. If you are confident in your manual photographic skills and don’t mind a chunkier camera then these options are cheaper than your average dSLR.

I considered buying the fuji s8100fd, but in size my Olympus E-410 dSLR is only larger than the fuji if I have a large lense attached.

If you tend to be a bit careless then the Olympus mju range of “everything-proof” cameras could be the perfect antidote to sticky pub tables or the accidental drop. I don’t have one, but I have read reviews that the image quality on them isn’t the best though.

Don’t be fooled by an amazing amount of megapixels either! If you’re just going to post them on the web or make smaller prints (4×6 or 5×7) then you really won’t ever need anything over 7 megapixels. You’re better off going for a camera with more features that you like over something with a huge amount of megapixels. The problem is that a lot of camera manufacturers are still using the same sized image sensors, but packing more and more megapixels on to it. This means that you are more likely to end up with “grainy” looking photos at high iso speeds or in low light conditions.

The bottom line – be honest with yourself about your photographic skills and buy a camera that you are confident with just trying it out in the shop. There’s no point having a fancy camera if you miss all the photos you really want because it’s taking too long to figure out how to get the camera to do what you want it to do.

• 28 May 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hi BumbleBee

That’s very useful advice you’ve given there. I am having the dilemma of deciding which camera is good enough for what I want to do, but is not too complicated. I’ve only have compact cameras but would like to upgrade… perhaps a lower end DSLR or a DSLR-like camera. I’ve been reading heaps of reviews but things can just get so expensive I’m getting confused as to where to draw the line at the features I will use!

• 29 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hey Jessann
    I’d personally take the best point and shoot you can afford. Mainly because as awesome as SLR’s are they can be big and heavy and if it was me I would prefer something smaller and easier to carry especially if you want to capture crazy moment out.

I just got a new camera for my trip and I love it. I had an older version before this and loved it so much I just upgraded.
    I have a CASIO Exilim z1200…It has 12.1 mp which is pretty much as high as u can get in a point and shoot, its small and has great settings for all different things (e.g. low light, sport,candlelight, sunset, movement etc)..If you want to enlarge pictures later for your walls this is a good camera. I love being able to take my camera everywhere without worrying about size and weight. I ordered mine online so got it for $279 but I think it retails between 300-400. You can also get SD memory cards for it online on places like EBAY or shoppingsquare.com for between $17-25 for 4GB. If you can find what you want online go for it you will save a packetload and get alot more for your money than buying retail and there are plenty of decent places online to get them. I think mine was called citywidetechnologies.com but you can google best price casio exilim or something like that too or for whichever camera you devide on.
    Hope this helps a bit…

• 29 May 2008 Julia said

Default_avatar

i’m using panasonic fx9 (i think) and ricoh gx100…i thin panasonic & canon got pretty nice cameras…especially with the face detection function. love the colors too…check that out!!

• 29 May 2008 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I can’t say enough good things about Canon and recommend you look there. Your budget isn’t that of a digital SLR (a decent one) and for quality and really nice, rich shots, you can’t beat a Canon! I took one on our trip to London/Paris last year and the pictures are so beautiful from it!

My sister took Photo Journalism and they were recommended to either purchase a Canon or Nikon (which are waaay more expensive) – Canon is hands down the best you can buy. I’ve had mine for 4 years now and it’s still going strong and still takes beautiful pictures. You can’t go wrong with a Canon!

• 29 May 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar

Here are some examples to give you an idea… these are shot on my fuji s8000 fd… They are resized so the quality has deteriorated a tiny bit… None of these photos have been edited.

These are shot on manual modes without flash with the ISO bumped up (one good thing about this camera is even with ISO bumped up, the noise is very minimal):

This is just automatic mode:

And this is automatic mode on 18x optical zoom:

Thought it might be easier to make judgment based on examples. Hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 29 May 2008 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

A lot of people do recommend Canon because they are a well known and respected brand. They do make very good cameras, I’ve had some myself, but I really think it comes down to what features you need and how “user friendly” the camera feels to you. Unless it’s some shoddy brand you’ve never heard of in your life, I really wouldn’t stress about what brand you get. At the moment both the cameras I use the most are from Olympus and I don’t have any problems with those at all.

A good photographer can get a fantastic picture with a cheap disposable camera – it’s the skills that matter most, not the equipment!

• 31 May 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

damn this post! ive been researching cameras all day and now want a new one. Can anyone recommend to me a really good camera that is like a DSLR but isn’t? I just don’t want to have to change lenses etc? I like the look of this one…
    OLYMPUS SP570 UltraZoom Digital Camera

• 31 May 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

oh, and i already have a compact point and shoot canon 10mp ixus…so i’d like somethin better or to use as a companion to it…thanks!

• 2 Jun 2008 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

If you have the money to spend on one, bite the bullet and get yourself a dSLR – you’ll have much more room to grow & experiment than with a bridge camera.

There are small dSLR camera bodies available, and the kit lenses are okay to start you off with, but later on you might want to invest in some better quality ones.

• 2 Jun 2008 TheFriendUHaven'tMetYet!!!! said

TheFriendUHaven'tMetYet!!!!

I just purchased a new DSLR and the automatic modes are easy to use.. Its just like a point and shoot.. Its only the high end DSLR’s that don’t have auto modes.. You don’t have to change lens’s on a DSLR if you don’t want and the standard kit lens will take a better photo than high end point and shoots anydays.. Don’t fall into the megapixel trap, a higher megapixel does not equal a better photo..

I’d recommend a starter DSLR such as nikon d40 which i think is about 500-600 at harvey norman with a 18-55 lens.. Easy to use, and if you want to upgrade you can, but as is, it will provide a great photo..

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion